• Dice Masters Constructed - WizKids Special Event- Rules Experiment

    UPDATED (10:30 PM 9-15-16)

    A second location has been announced also performing 1st turn testing with prizing sponsored by Wizkids:

    http://win.wizkids.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=183827

    https://www.facebook.com/events/800082760130835/


    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
    http://win.wizkids.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=183766



    Eternal Games will be running a special event on behalf of WizKids with a slight modification to the first turn rule. For this event, the player who goes first would only roll 3 dice on their first turn, beginning the game with the 4th Sidekick die out of play (in transition). Players will play single-game matches for Swiss, deciding who goes first at random. Then play a second game alternating who goes first, that won’t count toward their tournament standing, but will be recorded for our experiment. The winner of each individual game will receive a random foil card from Green Arrow and The Flash.

    Top cut playoff will best of 3, single elimination. We will be adding event exclusive Alternate Art Promos for Top Cut, as well as, those players drafting the remaining foils in placement order.

    This is a unique opportunity to be a part of something special to support the game we love, and win lots of foils!!!
    The more players we have, the more data we can collect, and the more prizes that will be given away!!!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Dice Masters Constructed - WizKids Special Event- Rules Experiment started by IsaacBV View original post
    Comments 35 Comments
    1. agentj's Avatar
      agentj -
      Dang, was hoping the event was not on Saturday. How do I get my local store to do this? That way wizkids can get more data.
    1. Sniddy's Avatar
      Sniddy -
      Wow don't see that doing a great deal - few 4 cost basic actions it may affect a little on
    1. JasonG's Avatar
      JasonG -
      It's awesome that WizKids is listening, and experimenting like this. Good luck to all that participate!
    1. Jeffincredible's Avatar
      Jeffincredible -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniddy View Post
      Wow don't see that doing a great deal - few 4 cost basic actions it may affect a little on
      turn 1 Rip Hunters Chalkboard + <insert 3cost action here> such as Big entrance?
    1. zeon20's Avatar
      zeon20 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniddy View Post
      Wow don't see that doing a great deal - few 4 cost basic actions it may affect a little on
      Well for the ppl who hated vicious struggle teams they should rejoice. Now, for vs teams that r pushing for that turn 3, it's a given to bring red dragon in order to get that turn three kill which weakens the team.
    1. Dave's Avatar
      Dave -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniddy View Post
      Wow don't see that doing a great deal - few 4 cost basic actions it may affect a little on
      Impacts ramp. First player can't roll seven on turn two. Impacts buy order and character usage for ring/res. It does a lot. And if you want to overcome it, you have to weaken your team by over-bringing ramp and discount globals.
    1. artean's Avatar
      artean -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
      Impacts ramp. First player can't roll seven on turn two. Impacts buy order and character usage for ring/res. It does a lot. And if you want to overcome it, you have to weaken your team by over-bringing ramp and discount globals.
      That and, if nothing else, it shows they are trying. If this doesn't work out they way they want then I am sure they have other ideas. I, for one, fully support WizKids in this.
    1. Sniddy's Avatar
      Sniddy -
      Quote Originally Posted by artean View Post
      That and, if nothing else, it shows they are trying. If this doesn't work out they way they want then I am sure they have other ideas. I, for one, fully support WizKids in this.
      Yeh experimentation is a good thing and attempting to solve this is a very good thing, I just personally don't think this will get 1st turn advantage down enough

      ...but yeh that's my opinion, let me know how the actual play testing goese
    1. Lordfajubi's Avatar
      Lordfajubi -
      Bravo wizkids! This is a huge first step because it's an actual step. I'm a fan of anything that hoses VS I freaking hate that card but this is fantastic. I hope it yields valuable info that leads to a permanent change to the rules. I'm gonna try and break this tonight with a friend to see how easy it is but I have high hopes for this making a change for the better.
    1. RastaBot808's Avatar
      RastaBot808 -
      Well, best of luck to them and hope they gather the info they need....thanks for listening WizKids.
    1. djcannonmi's Avatar
      djcannonmi -
      I a very happy that WizKids is working on this and the best way for them to do that is by getting the players involved. I am very interested in seeing how this plays out. I almost instituted something similar recently for my League players.
    1. Rhyno's Avatar
      Rhyno -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
      Impacts ramp. First player can't roll seven on turn two. Impacts buy order and character usage for ring/res. It does a lot. And if you want to overcome it, you have to weaken your team by over-bringing ramp and discount globals.
      My kobolds and morphing jars beg to differ!
    1. Lordfajubi's Avatar
      Lordfajubi -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
      My kobolds and morphing jars beg to differ!
      True I thought of that too but you have to buy a fairly useless creature by itself and roll absolutely perfect so while possible there isn't a whole lotta point to it. There are way better opening moves. Rip Hunter all day for a useful 2 buy in prep over that strategy
    1. Yort's Avatar
      Yort -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lordfajubi View Post
      True I thought of that too but you have to buy a fairly useless creature by itself and roll absolutely perfect so while possible there isn't a whole lotta point to it. There are way better opening moves. Rip Hunter all day for a useful 2 buy in prep over that strategy
      I dunno... if you get what you want, you could RHCB one Kobold while putting the other in your used, which is where you want it anyway. Field that Kobold on T2 (or if you misroll, then you've got 6 energy to spend, 5 if you want to RHCB your buy) and buy a few more, and your swarm is potentially underway.
    1. JustK's Avatar
      JustK -
      This will stop someone from having Oracle out on P2s Turn 2. Impossible to purchase Polymorph and use Rip Hunters Global.

      This is a good step. Having a considerable disadvantage for turn 1 should be the norm. It may not seem like much but is makes someone purchasing Vicious struggle only have that and no ramp.
    1. Lordfajubi's Avatar
      Lordfajubi -
      Quote Originally Posted by JustK View Post
      This will stop someone from having Oracle out on P2s Turn 2. Impossible to purchase Polymorph and use Rip Hunters Global.

      This is a good step. Having a considerable disadvantage for turn 1 should be the norm. It may not seem like much but is makes someone purchasing Vicious struggle only have that and no ramp.
      Red Dragon the VS you still have one for prep, and it kills any 4 cost turn one buys for characters so bard, oracle any of that. Red dragon the poly though and you can rip it to prep. Again all these need perfect rolls which I am fine with. Lucky perfection should yield advantage. The gurantees are gone though. Oracle turn 2 is almost still possible the sidekick needing out is the only thing holding it up
    1. Lordfajubi's Avatar
      Lordfajubi -
      Quote Originally Posted by Yort View Post
      I dunno... if you get what you want, you could RHCB one Kobold while putting the other in your used, which is where you want it anyway. Field that Kobold on T2 (or if you misroll, then you've got 6 energy to spend, 5 if you want to RHCB your buy) and buy a few more, and your swarm is potentially underway.
      My buddy came up with best opening move last night I have yet seen. Constantine Hellblazer Rip global, control in place turn 2 with a fairly easy field cost. It shuts down any opener I can come up with outside VS which I hate and won't use.

      The kobold idea is nice, a dwarf wizard will ruin your day though and it's pretty easy to get out turn 2 if you go second. Lots of people play with those especially because of bard.
    1. Dave's Avatar
      Dave -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lordfajubi View Post
      My buddy came up with best opening move last night I have yet seen. Constantine Hellblazer Rip global, control in place turn 2 with a fairly easy field cost. It shuts down any opener I can come up with outside VS which I hate and won't use.

      The kobold idea is nice, a dwarf wizard will ruin your day though and it's pretty easy to get out turn 2 if you go second. Lots of people play with those especially because of bard.
      Chalkboard, Kobold, Kobold.
    1. Lordfajubi's Avatar
      Lordfajubi -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
      Chalkboard, Kobold, Kobold.
      That's what yort said. I don't see what you are leading to with this. Possible swarm? Dwarf Wizard wrecks it because he is an adventurer. Bard? Not diverse enough. Bodies on the field? Sidekicks alone will stop it. The Constantine that early at least blocks any turn 2 character drop for the fielded turn. It's not a game winner but it absolutely buys you time outside a lucky direct damage roll which stalls your opponent anyway and creates the slow down and only needs 2 cards which are useful anyway. 6 cards and 2 actions for the rest of a team is pretty open.
    1. Dave's Avatar
      Dave -
      Dwarf Wizard is a wrench in the works of anything it wants to be. Pointing out that a counter exists doesn't immediately invalidate the initial strategy. That's where the "literally unplayable" jokes made in the Hearthstone community come from.