• JL Globals Review

    I know, I know. Many of you were like, ďDang, good thing that @Randy guy wasnít on TAZ this week. Iím sick of him always bringing down my Tuesdays.Ē Well, guess what. Here I am. Just not in audio format. Iím coming at you today to go over the next batch of global abilities in this series. Today, weíll be looking at DC Justice League. Letís see if I can cause less of a stir than I did with my D&D Battle for Faerun edition.

    Anger Issues. Weíve seen this global before: +1A for one energy. But this time itís with a different type of energy. I donít think itís as potent as the Iceman TCFW and Enrage/Invulnerability combo. However, that one is totally accessible to your opponent, since all of the tools are globals. This one works great with the uncommon Kobold ramp. Those cheap Swarming Kobolds give you plenty of extra fist energy. This is the perfect global to bring with you, if you plan on running Kobolds. Your opponent might be ab le to use it here or there, but not to the extent that you will be able to abuse it.

    Casualties. This isÖ ok. Itís versatile, since you can use two different energy types to activate it. But paying one energy to gain one life when something else happens that isnít going to break your opponentís heartÖ I just feel like itís energy that could be better spent to progress yourself towards winning, instead of minimal life gain. That or energy could be spent on forcing a character to attack or block, giving you an option of removal. It could be and extra point of attack on a character getting through to deal damage. If itís a it could used on PXG or Resurrection to give yourself dice advantage. I just feel like waiting until an opposing sidekick is KOíd to spend this energy to gain only one lifeÖ itís a poor investment.

    Shockwave. This global is hard to judge on its own, because its primary use is with this basic action. It only takes one energy of any type, and your own Shockwave basic action will not affect character of your choice. I donít see this basic action/global combo get much play, but I wouldnít be surprised to see it get some play in the future. It can be comboíd with characters that spin down opposing characters or just to combat players that rely on using Polymorph to get characters in the field. I canít think of many defensive uses for this global. Your opponent will be able to play any actions they want before you can use this global, but on the flip side, thereís very few actions that your opponent would have where theyíd find using this global advantageous. Weíll see how this basic actionís stock rises or falls going forward.

    Villainous Pact. This one fits on a special kind of team. You have to be able to gain a significant advantage by drawing a die from your bag on command, but your team canít have any other draw or self-KO mechanics. Blue-Eyes White Dragon, for example, sucks with this global. Because you KO your own characters/monsters to drive down the cost of a big purchase. But if you already have KOíd characters in your prep area, then you canít use the Villainous Pact global. This global works best if you are using Kobold ramp or PXG (since you usually wait until your opponentís turn to use PXG). But if youíre using BEWD or any kind of draw mechanic, this global wonít do much for you.

    Batman. Weíve all said it on this site. Paying one energy to gain one life, only when a specific trigger occurs is NOT the best use of energy. I think this one is not quite as good as Casualties. But like most globals, the easier it is for you to use, the easier it is for your opponent to use. I like the exclusivity of this one because there's no guarantee your opponent will be playing action dice to be able to take advantage of it. Actually, I'm changing my mind mid-article. This is better than Casualties on the right team.

    Lantern Power Ring. This global is not worth it. Itís just as easy to turn ANY character in to a villain with other energy types. This one uses s, which might be the hardest single energy to come by ( energy has Iceman TCFW, energy has Kobold ramp, energy even has the rare Maria Hill that lets you add fielded characters to your roll. energy doesnít have anything like that.) So, yeaÖ move along. Nothing to see here.

    Sinestro. Both common and uncommon Sinestros have the same global, even though thereís slightly different wording. Again, I really donít know why you would elect to bring this global with such rigid limitations. ONLY your own Villains, ONLY once per turn. Iíll just bring Anger Issues if I want to use pump, thanks.

    And thatís all we have in DC Justice League. Thoughts? Comments? Leave me something below. Until next time, roll on.
    Comments 8 Comments
    1. pk2317's Avatar
      pk2317 -
      The reason Casualties is/can be a lot better is because it can trigger multiple times per turn, at the cost of a single energy. Each separate instance of a Sidekick KO is +1 life. Use the Casualties action, gain a life. Field a Quicksilver? Gain another life. Combat damage? Gain another life.

      Depending on the abilities your team brings for KOing opposing characters or dealing minor damage to opposing characters, it can add up a lot. Of course, it's still a "lose less" Global and not a "win" Global.
    1. SethAtreides's Avatar
      SethAtreides -
      Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
      The reason Casualties is/can be a lot better is because it can trigger multiple times per turn, at the cost of a single energy. Each separate instance of a Sidekick KO is +1 life. Use the Casualties action, gain a life. Field a Quicksilver? Gain another life. Combat damage? Gain another life.

      Depending on the abilities your team brings for KOing opposing characters or dealing minor damage to opposing characters, it can add up a lot. Of course, it's still a "lose less" Global and not a "win" Global.
      Yes, which is why a Hulk: Green Goliath would combo quite nicely with that global. Pay fist for the global, ping Hulk with a bolt for Magic Missile or Slifer, and knock out all of your opponent's sidekicks and possibly some of their other characters,with the added bonus of life gain.
    1. RJRETRO's Avatar
      RJRETRO -
      I for one, appreciate the work @Randy does to do these global reviews. If anyone complains (aka, pings him with the Wasp global) they should save their energy.

      And use that energy to purchase more Giant Men.
    1. pk2317's Avatar
      pk2317 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SethAtreides View Post
      Yes, which is why a Hulk: Green Goliath would combo quite nicely with that global. Pay fist for the global, ping Hulk with a bolt for Magic Missile or Slifer, and knock out all of your opponent's sidekicks and possibly some of their other characters,with the added bonus of life gain.
      Unfortunately due to the ruling on WKRF, that would only net you 1 life, since the Sidekick KOs happen at the same time. It's 1 life per instance, not 1 life per Sidekick.
    1. Randy's Avatar
      Randy -
      Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
      Unfortunately due to the ruling on WKRF, that would only net you 1 life, since the Sidekick KOs happen at the same time. It's 1 life per instance, not 1 life per Sidekick.
      Exactly. You can time it up right to gain more life. But it requires a bit of planning. And is it really worth it for gaining 3-4 life? Maybe.... but man, you have to have your ducks in a row for it to be worth it.
    1. Bobcat110's Avatar
      Bobcat110 -
      I believe that the Villainous Pact global can be used with BEWD is you use the villainous pact global first.
      1) use villainous pact global to put a die from your bag into your Prep.
      2) use BEWD to KO a character to buy another die.

      If I am correct, you can use both the villainous pact AND the BEWD global if used in this order.

      EDIT: I also believe that you can use something like Resurrection after you use the Villainous Pact global. Villainous Pact just has to be first
    1. Randy's Avatar
      Randy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
      I believe that the Villainous Pact global can be used with BEWD is you use the villainous pact global first.
      1) use villainous pact global to put a die from your bag into your Prep.
      2) use BEWD to KO a character to buy another die.

      If I am correct, you can use both the villainous pact AND the BEWD global if used in this order.
      You're absolutely right. One popular way to use the Villainous Pact global, like Resurrection or Silver Surfer, is to use it when your bag is empty, right after you made a big purchase. The global tells you to draw a die. But your bag is empty. So you refill it with everything in you'd used pile, including that big purchase you just made, excluding the energy you just spent that went out of play. If you use BEWD to make that big purchase more affordable, it sends your own characters to your prep area, making you unable to use Villainous Pact in this way to instantly prep what you just purchased.
    1. Bobcat110's Avatar
      Bobcat110 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
      You're absolutely right. One popular way to use the Villainous Pact global, like Resurrection or Silver Surfer, is to use it when your bag is empty, right after you made a big purchase. The global tells you to draw a die. But your bag is empty. So you refill it with everything in you'd used pile, including that big purchase you just made, excluding the energy you just spent that went out of play. If you use BEWD to make that big purchase more affordable, it sends your own characters to your prep area, making you unable to use Villainous Pact in this way to instantly prep what you just purchased.
      So you can use Villainous Pact with BEWD, but in order to use it very effectively, you can't KO your characters and then use it.

      I understand what you meant in your article now. Thank you for the clarification!