View RSS Feed

OrangeLion

Go Big to Send Them Home

Rate this Entry
Early pressure with a high-purchase-cost character can get you off to a great start, put you in the driver's seat and lead to victory. In this game's history we've seen Polymorph and the Hulk used time and time again to gain early control.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bff136-polymorph.jpeg 
Views:	668 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	3922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avx077-greengoliath.jpeg 
Views:	616 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	3923


Additionally, with the latest set of basic actions, Big Entrance has allowed us to push the limits of our buying even higher by providing us with a cost reduction. Typically, Big Entrance is used to buy a couple of low-cost characters in a single turn but if we instead use that discount to grab a seemly out of reach character it can be really surprising to your opponent and give you an edge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wol025-bigentrance.jpeg 
Views:	451 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	3924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uxmop1-heirtothedream.jpeg 
Views:	437 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	3927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1062-fistoffate.jpeg 
Views:	431 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	3928


Moreover, actually buying Transfer Power allows you a 50% chance that you can get that big, beefy character out one turn sooner or, if was sent to the used pile because of a game mechanic, back from the dead. Secondly, this card also brings one of Shadowmeld's beloved globals to the table and if Shadowmeld loves it, we should also at least consider it , especially if we buy a defensive-oriented character like Loki.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uxm034-transfer-power.jpeg 
Views:	327 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	3916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aou053-lokilaufeyson.jpeg 
Views:	314 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	3917


The final card I's like to talk about is Outsider. Though this card doesn't gives an initial savings, it does allow you to reliably field your villains without having to consider their fielding costs. High-purchase cost villains, like Thanos and the Black Lantern Superman, also have high fielding costs on their level two sides. This basic action allows you to negate those fielding costs, save your energy and get your character out onto the field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jlop09-theoutsider.jpeg 
Views:	319 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	3918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aou103-themadtitan.jpeg 
Views:	362 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	3919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wol141-kryptonsfall.jpeg 
Views:	357 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	3920


There are a couple of key points I'd like to share when using each of these cards that I think will help out a newer player:
1) Bring PXG.
2) Do not, do not buy these basic action dice on turn one. It is tempting but I believe you get the most out of them if you buy them on turn two.
3) With that said, have a reliable two-cost or three-cost non-mask character that you can buy on turn one. Characters like Constantine and Wasp come to mind.
4) Reroll aggressively for enough masks to ramp with PXG. Ideally, you'll want to reserve two masks on turn one and three on turn two to maintain perfect ramp.
5) On turn three, don't overbuy. Save some masks to maintain your ramp and your edge.

Sample first four turns with Big Entrance:
-I have Wasp-Founding Avenger, Big Entrance and my goal is Red Dragon-Epic Dragon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wol025-bigentrance.jpeg 
Views:	451 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	3924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aou133-foundingavenger.jpeg 
Views:	331 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	3925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bff126-epicdragon.jpeg 
Views:	291 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	3926

Turn One: Roll four die. Buy Wasp and save a mask. PXG x1.

Turn Two: Roll six die. Buy Big Entrance and save three masks. PXG x3.

Turn Three: Roll ten die. Wasp will come up one bolt energy, Big Entrance will land on it's action side, field a sidekick, save two masks and have five energy remaining. Use Wasp's bolt energy, five other energy and Big Entrance to buy Red Dragon for six. Red Dragon goes straight into your bag via Big Entrance, field your sidekick and PXG x2.

Turn Four: Roll eight die. Red Dragon lands on level two, Wasp lands on level two, save three masks, and use remaining energy to field both characters. PXG x3.

You've just fielded a massive Red Dragon, have maintained ramp throughout and have some wiggle room because some of the dice rolled sidekicks.

Just think of the possiblities on turn three if you could get all of your sidekick dice to roll energy and your low-cost character to roll double-energy...Is Phoenix Force-Force or Nature really out of the question?!?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avxop13-forceofnature.jpeg 
Views:	307 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	3921

Updated 11-23-2015 at 09:24 PM by pk2317 (Adding Preview Break)

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. Osprey's Avatar
    I think you'll be entertained to know that a turn 3 purchase of both Black Lantern Aquaman and Black Lantern Wonder Woman is not only possible in my current team, but is the preferred turn 3 play lol. I also had an energy left over to pxg with too!

    Quick edit: Having reread your blog, I noticed something that I want to post about. I do not agree at all with the notion that The Outsider should not be purchased on turn 1. If you are playing the die in a dedicated villain list, buying one turn 1 and one turn 2 isn't a bad idea at all. Simply maintain ramp, and those dice will come up. In practice, I usually end up burning myself on turn 3 with outsider teams because I can only draw 3 dice from my bag, and I gain a generic energy. Having the second almost guarantees rolling an action face on turn 3, and the other generic energy or action face can be used for further combos. Even double generic still provides 4 energy to be used for a large purchase, and you can ramp with pxg to guarantee rolling it for the following turn. A lot of time spent refining various villain lists has convinced me of this at least. However, I do think your point is much more valid with most other BAC's.
    Updated 11-15-2015 at 08:58 PM by Osprey
  2. Jthomash2's Avatar
    I'm a fan of the turn 3 use of Big E. Even if you buy it turn one, just don't put it in your bag. It's a MAY ability anyway. Comboing action dice is amazing. I have a combo in my back pocket I haven't seen anywhere else. If I can refine it some before pdc, that's when I'll roll it out. Big stuff ahead... The game is so wide open right now!
  3. OrangeLion's Avatar
    If you are playing the Outsider in a dedicated villain list, buying one turn 1 and one turn 2 isn't a bad idea at all.
    I haven't tried this but could see it working a paying off big time on turn three if the die roll in your favor. Thanks for the advice.

    Additionally, with the release of the Amazing Spiderman set, I am going to say that The Outsider is one of the strongest BACs. I think this is because some of the newer villains synergize well with existing ones and their high fielding costs can be negated by The Outsider.
  4. joshaber's Avatar
    i love that obelisk, it is incredibly strong if you can afford it.
  5. Osprey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLion
    I haven't tried this but could see it working a paying off big time on turn three if the die roll in your favor. Thanks for the advice.

    Additionally, with the release of the Amazing Spiderman set, I am going to say that The Outsider is one of the strongest BACs. I think this is because some of the newer villains synergize well with existing ones and their high fielding costs can be negated by The Outsider.
    Absolutely. Unfortunately for my local group who is beginning to think of me as "that guy who loves villains", I'm going to keep exploring and testing every villain strategy I can get my hands on. I'm really excited to build with the new Carnage cards from ASM, both the 5 cost with overcrush and the 6 cost who gains +1A and overcrush when you play an action. Teamwork BAC anyone? Heck, even ready to rocket would work great.
  6. OrangeLion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaber
    i love that obelisk, it is incredibly strong if you can afford it.
    That's my pint of this week's blog, you can afford it! If you love Obelisk, put him on a team, bring the Goblin Attack Squad's global to make sure someone will block him and have fun!
  7. OrangeLion's Avatar
    I'm really excited to build with the new Carnage cards from ASM, both the 5 cost with overcrush and the 6 cost who gains +1A and overcrush when you play an action. Teamwork BAC anyone? Heck, even ready to rocket would work great.
    I do like these Carnage cards however I like the one you didn't mention the best atm. It's Symbiote and it reads, "When Carnage deals combat damage to an opponent, you may put his die on an action card. It costs your opponent double to purchase that action die. Carnage's die may be removed by effects that remove action dice." This an amazing shut down to lantern ring teams and us lovers of The Outsider
  8. Osprey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLion
    I do like these Carnage cards however I like the one you didn't mention the best atm. It's Symbiote and it reads, "When Carnage deals combat damage to an opponent, you may put his die on an action card. It costs your opponent double to purchase that action die. Carnage's die may be removed by effects that remove action dice." This an amazing shut down to lantern ring teams and us lovers of The Outsider
    I disagree because the card works on too many assumptions.

    First, you have to invest 6 energy in carnage and field him turn 3 (possible thanks to the outsider and ramp of course, but it DOES use up your opening play)

    Second, you have to deal combat damage to the opponent, so he cannot be blocked for the effect to work unless you can pair him with overcrush. A single sidekick could shut the strategy down unless you pair it with something like relentless global at the cost of a mask energy that could be used for ramp.

    Third, he removes himself as a character you can attack or block with and sits on the card, so you are down a 6 cost in order to make an action die more expensive. Granted, against a lantern ring team, this makes their ring cost 8 energy to purchase. The problems here are:

    We are assuming that they have not yet already purchase their lantern ring.

    Lantern Ring teams are built to be incredibly aggressive, so our big purchase leaves us wide open for their swarm of characters to just go through unblocked and kill us.

    Even with all of the ramp available, at 6+ cost, a character/action needs to do at least one of two things. Either win the game, or stop our opponent from playing/winning the game. Hulk, Jinzo, Black Lanterns, etc all do this and work in many situations. Symbiote stops an action from being purchased (hopefully), but leaves you a sitting duck.

    This is my reasoning for choosing cards like rare Bleez over him anyways.
  9. OrangeLion's Avatar
    OK, all valid points about carnage.

    This is my reasoning for choosing cards like rare Bleez over him anyways.
    As far as Bleez...do you prefer her over Doomcaliber Knight or the rare Blink? I guess what I'm asking is, out of these three cards which do you prefer and why?
  10. Osprey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLion
    OK, all valid points about carnage.



    As far as Bleez...do you prefer her over Doomcaliber Knight or the rare Blink? I guess what I'm asking is, out of these three cards which do you prefer and why?
    Depends on the situation. Mono villains, yes because I want to maximize the power of The Outsider BAC, but any regular constructed team I'd prefer to use Doomcaliber Knight. I really like the idea of Blink, but I have yet to properly test teams with her.
  11. OrangeLion's Avatar
    Depends on the situation. Mono villains, yes because I want to maximize the power of The Outsider BAC, but any regular constructed team I'd prefer to use Doomcaliber Knight. I really like the idea of Blink, but I have yet to properly test teams with her.
    So what are the chances you are going to play Villains in an unlimited constructed tournament?
  12. Osprey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLion
    So what are the chances you are going to play Villains in an unlimited constructed tournament?
    If you ask my local scene, they'll all tell you I play them too much. Just look at October: http://www.thereservepool.com/entrie...f-October-2015

    UC Thanos Turbo, Black Lanterns, Jocasta/Toad Control with Mr. Sinister, my second list this month was my improved Black Lanterns and my final list for the month is also a villain list (maybe with that carnage I speak so highly of wink wink)

    I guess I'm that villains guy at this point. Or at least, that Black Lantern guy.