Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wasted Super Rares

Wasted Super Rares

I just saw a comment about pulling the Flash SR and it made me think about the time I pulled the Spiderman SR from X-men, so let's try this:

What are the top 3 lamest SR's in the game right now in order of Least to most lame?

Everything in Unlimited X-Men except for Scarlet Witch. I had a chance to get some X-Men feeds for very cheap, and I just have no interest in collecting Spider-Man, Iron Man or Emma Frost. Yu-Gi-Oh and D&D: BFF are so unknown to me, that I'd be happy with any of them. Sadly, due to Gobby/Tsarina being so good, I'd also put Wolverine and Mr. Fantastic in that category. Big fan of both categories, but you REALLY want Gobby/Tsarina, so it'd be a disappointment.

RJ, I think the SR Iron Man has some potential with making something a Villain, and giving him Overcrush. Still nothing great, but I think he has potential. He's far from the worst 3 in my opinion.

Yeah, if you didn't already have Spidey, I'd offer to trade you for Tony. LOL.

All good though. I want to be the guy that makes the team up ability win.

It's more just a feeling about the SRs. I guess I'd be more disappointed with Wolvie/Mr. Fantastic if I bought an AvX feed. I eliminated the likelihood of being disappointed by not getting Constantine by buying him outright, otherwise Catwoman/Flash would be on the list as well. Although, I am starting to like these guys a bit more.

(I actually don't mind Mr. Fantastic's SR either, but Gobby/Tsarina are just too good.)

...After typing this, I want to sit down and rank them all and do this legitimately. In a vacuum. Yeah. That's what I'm going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    ...After typing this, I want to sit down and rank them all and do this legitimately. In a vacuum. Yeah. That's what I'm going to do.
    Bwahahahaha.....

I'm with the general consensus here (especially RJ's assessment of Uncanny). It's so sad that I have a hard time even remembering that Spidey has a SR. I don't even REMEMBER it, considering that Spider Bomb is so much better.

I agree that SW Controls Probability has her uses, but she still is definitely B-Team as far as SRs come. B-Team at best for me.

I'm very underwhelmed with The Flash SR. Canucklehead, SR Stirge, common Invisible Stalker all have a "can't be blocked" ability with the only stipulation be that they attack alone, but for some reason Flash has to be by himself, what so your opponent can swing back for the win on their turn.

Canary SR is similar in that Spidey Hero for Hire has her ability without paying any energy.

Shouldn't SRs at least have better game text than their easier to obtain brethren?

A ranking of what I consider the worst SR from each set thus far.

5) AVX's Mr. Fantastic 4 Mask, cheapish vs the others on the list, relevant energy types for PXG. Ability can save your life.

4) YGO's Thousand Dragon 6 Bolt, can be cheated into play through fusion. Ability can be brutal, but difficult to set up for.

3) BFF's (hilarious code) Tarrasque 7 Shield, Actually not a bad die/card if not for its high purchase cost. But both Stirge and Mind Flayer are cheaper and have decent abilities, Red Dragon has a sweet global.

2) UXM's Spider-Man 5 Fist, heroic was a flop, perhaps if it was until end of turn. Most Spideys are better, he'll most commons are better.

1) JUL's The Flash 4 Fist, I know him and Spider-Man should switch spots, but this card Pisces me off with how much better other can't be blocked characters are. Why oh why does he have to be your only fielded character? Is the Flash only fast when no one is watching him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred92 View Post
    Why oh why does he have to be your only fielded character? Is the Flash only fast when no one is watching him?
    My first thought is the Invisible Boy from Mystery Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    No way that Tarrasque is worse than Stirge.
    I prefer the flying mosquito. Tarrasque is to high of a purchase cost, and I really dig the swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    That would be an interesting set Dice Masters Mystery Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    That would be an interesting set Dice Masters Mystery Men.

I prefer the flying mosquito. Tarrasque is to high of a purchase cost, and I really dig the swarm.
    Gotta disagree. There are so many ramp options currently that 7 costs aren't unreachable. Especially if you're using the Rare BEWD. I field my Tarrasque, use the BEWD global and KO my own Tarreasque. Then he regenerates and wipes the board.

Stirge hurts his own cause though. His stats are so low that he can be easily pinged off - might as well use the cheap Kobold. And otherwise, he gets in three unblockable a turn if you're forced to field one of your swarmers - again, unless he gets pinged off by Magic Missile. In set, he's so easily KO'd that he may simply feed your adventurers, out-of-set he doesn't do enough for inevitability. And you'll never attack with your lead swarmer (the one who needs to stay in the field to keep the swarm going.

Both of what you guys are saying is valid and hard to argue against. Ultimately though I stand with Team Stirge.

I forgot about this. I think today I want to rank them.

I haven't seen a Tarrasque SR yet, but he should all but win you the game upon getting him on the table to be accurate to the source material. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't.

Stirge's durability is a huge blow but I think there's some utility combining him with rare Summoned Skull's global. Have a Stirge in the field, draw a second Stirge (which procs the swarm), field Stirge #2, attack with Stirge #1, send him straight to the bag with Summoned Skull's global. Rinse and repeat.

In the process of printing off all 20 SR cards. It's time to start ranking.

I am guessing that we are talking Mixed only, Because lots of the Ultra Rares have their place more in Limited. And most of them are great in draft, Most.
    So In unlimited my list is from least suck to most
    5. Stirge
    4. Flash
    3. The Winged Dragon of Ra
    2. Mr. Fantastic
    1. Spider Man

Stirge is pretty bad. I'm new to the game and am coming up the learning curve and can't decide if I'm glad that Rarity doesn't seem to equate to power or sad... In one sense, when Rarity does = power, that sort of justifies even having rarity... Otherwise why bother? But the downside is the arms race and secondary market silliness. My favorite thing about the whole rarity thing in Dice Masters so far is that the dice are all (or seem to be) equal, and you can proxy until you get the card, and only need one copy of the card to be legit.

That said, Red Dragon epic is exactly that!

I'm happy rarity doesn't equal power. Rares have value, but you don't need them yo win the game. Keeps the game inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    I'm happy rarity doesn't equal power. Rares have value, but you don't need them yo win the game. Keeps the game inexpensive.
    While I hope that is true, I don't see it. Black Widow and Constantine's selling prices seem to show otherwise. I doubt they'd be selling for that if people didn't feel they needed to use them.