Thread: bag draft idea

bag draft idea

New version:

The bag:

Each player drafting chooses 12 characters that they want to be included in the draft bag.

Of those 12 characters:
    2 of them will have 4 dice each
    4 are 3x
    4 are 2x
    2 are 1x
    This equals 30 dice for each drafter.

All dice are then placed in 1 communal draft bag.

The draft:

1. draw enough dice from bag so that you have 4 dice.(see rule #3).

2. Roll and reroll your 4 dice.

3. You then pick 1 die showing a character face for your team each turn. You MUST (if able) pick 1 character per turn, and then you MUST (if able) pass ALL remaining dice, showing character faces, to the next drafter on your left.
    ***exception *** if you successfully roll a character face on any die, and you are rolling multiples of that die this turn, you may collect all of those multiples this turn.
    *Unique Rule- Once a character has been drafted by a player, it may not be drafted by any other players*

4. Dice showing energy face are returned to bag.

5. Everyone continues drafting until ALL players have at least 8 characters.
    Some players may have more than 8 characters. Some players may have many dice on a character, or two...

6. Choose your team of 8. You may use any version of the characters you drafted.
    Your dice count is limited to the ones you drafted.

*variant*
    The level(s) of character you rolled during the draft, equates to the version of character card you may use.
    Level 1 - Common (Lowest set #)
    Level 2 - Uncommon (Middle set #)
    Level 3 - Rare/super (Highest set #)
    *follow set # guidelines for Starter characters, with additional rule that booster version is always an option.

*variant*
    Ignore "Unique rule".
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 05-14-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Update

if I can't pass through a message board post with one quick read and get it, I'm usually already past it

with something like this make a video or something, it's not gonna be explained well the way you just did

not your fault, just inherently

EDIT: to be more polite, I just mean that I couldn't really discern what you meant at all
    Last edited by SlapsterMcFlash; 04-30-2015 at 09:07 PM.

First off, the rewrite is very readable and easy to understand.

Secondly, the idea sounds pretty good. In fact it is very similar to the Daredevil Draft that Dave and Lauren did on their live stream this eveneing. You should check it out:
    http://www.thereservepool.com/conten...ed-9-00-PM-EST

Thanks, I've been wondering what a daredevil draft was... googled it a while back and couldn't find anything.

My original version of this had a max 4 dice roll and a rule that once a character was drafted, no one else could draft it. This was awesome, because if player 1 unfortunately drew a character that player 3 already had, player 1 would intentionally try to roll character face and therefore "pass" it to player 2. (which meant that player 2 now had 1 of their 4 dice a dead draw). Very defensive gameplay. I loved it! The major flaw with this was that towards the middle/end of the draft, we were coming up with some pretty dead draws. Many times, 1 out of our 4 dice was actually draftable... and occasionally, none were. This may not be an issue with 2 player...
    I have changed the rule to draw 4 + dice passed, and I wonder if that will allow me to keep the uniqueness rule...?
    As far as results, my son drafted a shield team that curved out perfectly... My daughter drafted all 4 black canary's... and my team was horrible...

My main goal here is to be able to draft teams where you end up with more than 1 die on MOST of your characters. That was accomplished, but at the expense of having dead pulls in the end...

We used this idea tonight for two players. We used the following changes/additions.

1. We picked 24 dice, mostly at random. We laid out all of the card associated with those dice.
    2. The start player drew and rolled 4 dice. Of the dice rolled that showed character faces, they could pick one to keep. They would then pick one of the cards associated with that die to be their draft pick.
    3. The other player would then take the three remaining dice draw one more and do the same.
    4. If there was a roll of all energy, the player got a re-roll.
    5. We each drafted 10 cards. This meant that every die but one got drawn out of the bag.
    6. From the 10 cards we then picked eight to make our team.
    7. With our eight cards selected, we could then pick the dice totals (keeping it at 20).
    8. Finally, we picked basic actions and played best 2 out of 3.

We both greatly enjoyed this. My wife especially enjoyed this and instantly decided she prefers this method to playing the game over constructed.

Did you use 24 different characters, or have multiples?

How long did the draft take?

How did your teams turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    Did you use 24 different characters, or have multiples?

How long did the draft take?

How did your teams turn out?
    We used 24 unique dice/characters so this meant that each team was unique and when drafting a die it was effectivly blocking the other player from getting that character.

We played best 2 out of 3 and went to the third match. The entire process from set up to clean up took about three hours.

Our teams created for some very close games. I drafted a Mask dominant team and used the mask energy to fuel Relentless and polymorph globals. Wolverine Weapon 10 turned out to be my star. My wife had a team focused around the Human Torch Johnny Storm and she used Ant man and other low fielding cost characters to ping away with damage.

I have this setup on Vassal with every set if anyone wants to try it out tonight...?
    contact me @gmail
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 05-14-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    My main goal here is to be able to draft teams where you end up with more than 1 die on MOST of your characters. That was accomplished, but at the expense of having dead pulls in the end...
    I've discovered the cause of the dead draws. It was because I was playing 3 players and had 24 unique characters. duh, that's exactly 8 characters available for each player. I've since been using 12 unique characters available per player, and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanxor View Post
    We used this idea tonight for two players. We used the following changes/additions.

1. We picked 24 dice, mostly at random. We laid out all of the card associated with those dice.
    2. The start player drew and rolled 4 dice. Of the dice rolled that showed character faces, they could pick one to keep. They would then pick one of the cards associated with that die to be their draft pick.
    3. The other player would then take the three remaining dice draw one more and do the same.
    4. If there was a roll of all energy, the player got a re-roll.
    5. We each drafted 10 cards. This meant that every die but one got drawn out of the bag.
    6. From the 10 cards we then picked eight to make our team.
    7. With our eight cards selected, we could then pick the dice totals (keeping it at 20).
    8. Finally, we picked basic actions and played best 2 out of 3.

We both greatly enjoyed this. My wife especially enjoyed this and instantly decided she prefers this method to playing the game over constructed.
    Oh, man. I bet my girlfriend would love this too. I think we shall try it this weekend.