Thread: A Case for Catwoman

A Case for Catwoman

Catwoman works out of set as potential ramp disruption. If your opponent has an empty bag, a big used pile, and a few masks for PXG, you can completely screw them up. How often does this happen, though? That's the question. I feel like an empty bag is fairly common in the current mode of play.

Quad theory:

Development: She can be an early buy. Her cost isn't out of line and can be done on turn two without any tricks required.

Parity: You can break parity by stopping ramp. However, if your opponent has even one die in the bag, she's somewhat neutralized.

Losing: Stopping ramp? Not bad to buy you time.

Winning: If you can't quite close the door, she makes that next clear-and-draw that you give your opponent something a bit less. If you guess right, she could help you close the door.

I'm focusing on the ramp disruption. As a character, a 4-cost for those stats isn't impressive. But I think the ability actually has some potential.

----

So... What do we think the average case scenario is on this card?

I wonder how often someone will let their bag be empty when they see her on a person's team. But, one could make the argument: force your opponent to do something differently, that's a bit of a win.

I haven't ever actually done my ramping with the goal of it, but honestly if you let your bag NOT be empty, you're also decreasing your consistency and the chances that you draw exactly what you want. It's something you CAN control but ultimately makes you roll one less die than you would have and even when you do you're generally a turn behind on your control of it. It would take a bit of doing to manage.

When people ask me about catwoman SR, I`ve mainly given them a joke answer, but realistically, I think she might be a secret weapon in multiples. One catwoman isn`t consistent, but if you start fielding multiples and pressing your luck, I bet you can pull something off. Ramp a ton and buy a bunch, then field them all and kill your opponent. No I have no idea if this can actually work but now I want to try it.

The problem is, the wording is iffy so we have no idea if the character gets to be free-fielded or not, or what level it comes up as. I`d be fine with level one, but if you have to pay fielding costs it`s a bit of a deal breaker for kitty,

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    When people ask me about catwoman SR, I`ve mainly given them a joke answer, but realistically, I think she might be a secret weapon in multiples. One catwoman isn`t consistent, but if you start fielding multiples and pressing your luck, I bet you can pull something off. Ramp a ton and buy a bunch, then field them all and kill your opponent. No I have no idea if this can actually work but now I want to try it.

The problem is, the wording is iffy so we have no idea if the character gets to be free-fielded or not, or what level it comes up as. I`d be fine with level one, but if you have to pay fielding costs it`s a bit of a deal breaker for kitty,
    This is not a bad call here. I've been thinking similarly about Black Canary. By herself? Useful, but not a world-beater. In multiples? Maybe. Her stats aren't awful on level 2 and 3, and if you have the bolts, you can just get stuff through without worrying about also giving your opponent Relentless access.

Yeah, DC has done alot to pare back the "power in globals" and increase the "individual strength" abilities. Red Tornado's UC power is a great source of churn, made even better if your opponent doesn't have access to it. Not good enough to NOT bring PXG, but it's a step in that direction. This Black Canary ability is similar. I feel like the player that can bring this type of possessive effects to worlds and still be prepared to take advantage of your opponent's globals might have a strong chance at being the winner.