Thread: Globals - Where are you?

Globals - Where are you?

So, I know it has been mentioned a few times, but in playing the new DC set, the lack of globals really stood out to me. So i looked over the sets to do a comparison. The following is a count of the number of cards in each set with globals, including everything except OP or Promo cards:

AVX - 4 BAC, 29 Character
    UXM - 4 BAC, 19 Character
    YGO - 4 BAC, 15 Character
    D&D - 4 BAC, 15 Character
    DCJ - 4 BAC, 4 Character

The trend here is obvious with quite a drastic drop off for DCJ. Personally, I don't mind this too much, as I often feel that globals somewhat take away a bit from the true combat mechanic of the game, giving an edge to players who really know how to use them, and potentially discouraging or intimidating new players.

Not sure how this compares to similar things in other collectable games...but I've got a few questions for the TRP community. Is this a trend we think will continue? Do we think this was a planned evolution away from globals or a reaction to how the game was being played? How do we feel about having less globals, is it good for the game or not so good?

Just looking for a few opinions on the topic...
    Thanks Folks! Rock On!

I think there could be more of a happy medium. Maybe 8-10 globals per set (character-wise) would be better. As long as everything is fairly balanced.

Yeah, I agree with that. I didn't collect the D&D or YGO sets, and I've only been into the game for about 2 months now...as a result, AVX and UXM kinda feel like just one big set for me. So the drop off with DC feels huge.
    Last edited by Meatman; 05-04-2015 at 08:06 AM.

I kind oif take the old school Star Wars CCG take on Globals, and use as few as possible. No bonuses fro my opponent. Drives a lot of people crazy.

I actually really like this.

The emphasis is now on the character abilities. Like with Black Canary - Hey, you can do this with Relentless (and make it available to EVERYONE and possibly lose to it) or you can do this same thing, but since it's only available to you we limit it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I actually really like this.

The emphasis is now on the character abilities. Like with Black Canary - Hey, you can do this with Relentless (and make it available to EVERYONE and possibly lose to it) or you can do this same thing, but since it's only available to you we limit it a bit.
    Exactly, and I love it for the fluidity of the Meta that it can provide.

I keep finding myself with leftover energy at the end of my main step, I start scanning the cards looking for a global to use and there are none.

I am enjoying building a team based mainly on character abilities but I have missed the shenanigans global cause.

Yeah...same here. Either that or I find myself buying things I don't really need, or that i had originally planned to buy later, just to avoid having energy go to waste. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, it just means that I may need to change my usual strategy when playing just DC. Which actually is a good thing, because that means the game is evolving and presenting new challenges with each set.