Thread: Vassal and Dice Masters Help What do I do?

Vassal and Dice Masters Help What do I do?

Hey everyone,

I have seen that people can play dice masters online via Vassal.
    But I do not know where to get vassal and the dice masters plug in.

So anyone able to give me a rundown?

Thanks

Thank You awesome Looking it over now. Hope they include DC soon.

2.5 uploaded today... DC???
    going to download right now!!!

It just keeps telling me it's an invalid module

Try opening your module that work for me and it was saying invalid when I first tried.

They are integrated with the character cards numerically.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    Try re-downloading the v2.5 module from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1u...0JoRV8wcjBOVTQ

It seems the download from the Vassal Engine site is failing for some.

I've downloaded and re-downloaded both Vassal and the module and still getting invalid module. Any ideas on how to get this working?

Vassal frustrations

Vassal is an awesome application, but its learning curve is ridiculous. The play is quite intuitive, and once I figure it out it will be terrific, but it is very user unfriendly to set up, save teams, and load teams. For example, the help said to do this, do that, spray some incense, and then hit the play button on the main menu. There is no play button on the main menu.I think you're supposed to hit the continuation button, but I'm not sure, as I haven't gotten it to work. It should be as easy as, save team. Load team. Team shows up. This was After it took me several hours to figure out, even after watching several how to videos, how to be able to access the cards to create the teams, which so far I cannot save and load.
    I watched the TRP video. Do you have to "clone" before you save, er, login a continuation (that's intuitive!)?
    One more thing....not all of the War of Light Cards seem to be functional, or am I (again) missing something? I had no trouble accessing the other cards. And it looks like there are "unofficial" cards to play with. Very fun!
    I do believe the payoff will be worth it as the play is very smooth and the application is gorgeous.
    I'll stick with it but it's about as much fun to figure out as doing taxes.
    Last edited by colwarden; 10-11-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: grammar error

War of Light is complete in Vassal. Check which version of the extension you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by colwarden View Post
    Vassal is an awesome application, but its learning curve is ridiculous. The play is quite intuitive, and once I figure it out it will be terrific, but it is very user unfriendly to set up, save teams, and load teams. For example, the help said to do this, do that, spray some incense, and then hit the play button on the main menu. There is no play button on the main menu.I think you're supposed to hit the continuation button, but I'm not sure, as I haven't gotten it to work. It should be as easy as, save team. Load team. Team shows up. This was After it took me several hours to figure out, even after watching several how to videos, how to be able to access the cards to create the teams, which so far I cannot save and load.
    I watched the TRP video. Do you have to "clone" before you save, er, login a continuation (that's intuitive!)?
    One more thing....not all of the War of Light Cards seem to be functional, or am I (again) missing something? I had no trouble accessing the other cards. And it looks like there are "unofficial" cards to play with. Very fun!
    I do believe the payoff will be worth it as the play is very smooth and the application is gorgeous.
    I'll stick with it but it's about as much fun to figure out as doing taxes.
    Hey colwarden. I completely understand your frustrations with the vassal mechanics you discuss. I will say, after looking under the hood of Vassal and the DM module, I have learned that these issues are more a limitation in the design of Vassal than they are the awesome DM module.
    As for War of Light, it sounds like you still have version 1.0 instead of version 1.0.1. With WoLs recent release, that is the extension version most recently updated, and may not be part of the bundled zip download.

Lastly, for saving and loading your team, I find, when players learn the mechanics of how Vassal does this, they quickly understand why and how to do the steps.

Vassal can't really just load a board state, like your team, into a game someone else has already started with out ending the game and starting a new one. This is why a work around was created to instead load the action of pasting your team.

How saving works is similar to making a home movie. You first set the scene by making your team. We do this on the teams tab because it avoids loading teams on top of one another a bit better. Once made, we need to start recording the home video of our team. We click File-> Begin Logfile, aka the record button. The action we want to record is copying and pasting our team to the teams tab, so to do that, we must select our team, right click and clone it.
    On an empty board, if we were to perform the action of cloning our team, our teM would appear just as we coppied it originally.

Note, any other actions taken in the same room durring the time of our recording, will also get recorded and saved.

After a successful cloning, we decide to stop recording with File -thouy Logfile.

Once we have our home no ie made, we need to try to watch it, to test for any recording errors. First though, I like to delete the clined team I coppied.

To load our team, we need to press play, as I'd we were watching our movie. We will press File-> load continuation. What this does is begin our movie, but goes slow enough that we see each action as a frame of film. To advance to the next frame we must use the play/pause button on the top left of the ixon bar. This button isn't in the file or edit menu, it is in fact on your toolbar and usually greyed out, unless we are in the load continuation step.what this button will do is advance to video, one frame at a time, untill you reach the end. When you reach the end of a continuation it will print you with a question about making a new Logfile, usually we just hit no.

Hope this walk through help. If you see me on, feel free message me on any platform you can reach me through.

Wow Shadowmeld, not only are your teams totally awesome, but I am humbled by the time and trouble you took to respond to my post!

By the way, one team I am trying to save is your Destruction team with Black Widow that can induce your opponent to spin a character down, thus making his/her team more vulnerable to Umberholt. I substituted this for AVX Angel.

Thanks, and I'll try to follow your suggestions. Awesome!!

Mike

So i don't want to start a new thread, but I'm having a hard time getting Vassal up and running. I am also only mildly computer literate.

So i have Vassal 3.2.15, and it works, and I have Dice masters 3.0.2. I Downloaded the first AvX set like the explanation said, but I can't find the cards anywhere. How do I access them, or what do I have to download to get them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mongooli View Post
    So i don't want to start a new thread, but I'm having a hard time getting Vassal up and running. I am also only mildly computer literate.

So i have Vassal 3.2.15, and it works, and I have Dice masters 3.0.2. I Downloaded the first AvX set like the explanation said, but I can't find the cards anywhere. How do I access them, or what do I have to download to get them?
    Download the DiceMasters3.0Complete, and unzip it in a Directory. Then open Vassal, and select open module for the DiceMasters3.0 Module. That's all there is to it. Also, the complete module stat has been updated this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    Download the DiceMasters3.0Complete, and unzip it in a Directory. Then open Vassal, and select open module for the DiceMasters3.0 Module. That's all there is to it. Also, the complete module stat has been updated this morning.
    I did that, but still there are no cards.

If you download it. Open the Dice Masters 3.0 Vassal Exe. It should start and install. If this doesnt help,

open Vassal and rightclick on your Dice Masters Ext. -> Add Extension and select every single one of them , repeat this step until you got all Extension in it. -> Restart Vassal

Quote Originally Posted by Mongooli View Post
    I did that, but still there are no cards.
    It is important to keep the directory structure form the Zip as well. Should be Base Module and a Subdirectory with all the other modules in it. Extract all files here should build the directory structure and put the base module where it belongs.