Thread: Team Names and Terminology

Team Names and Terminology

Listening to The Reserve Pool podcasts and browsing the forums, occasionally some team names get tossed around (Flying Side Kicks, High Hopes, etc). Also this past episode "Weenies" was used a lot. What does Weenies mean? Is there a list for these teams and terms? I'm not really familiar with a lot of these. This might be something good for the Wiki, article or podcast.

Aggro = Very aggressive meant to win in first 4/5 turns. Tsarina/Gobby.
    Flying Sidekicks/ Super Pawns/ Weenie are teams that are based around boosting the power of sidekicks like Goblin Lord, Angel Inspiring, Falcon, using them to make your pawns 4/4 unblockable.
    Control = Teams that are meant to control the board make it hard for your opponent to do things, keeping them from using globals or fielding characters.
    Midrange = teams that wait till mid game to win, often based on direct damage.
    I am not sure what High Hope is.
    Patch is using Nick furies patch and a bunch of avengers to get in and do lots of damage in one shot.

Hope that helps

Great Question. I'm going to take a stab at two of them you called out here, but I may not have this exact and I'm sure there are more...I also have no idea what High Hopes is...

Weenies - I believe this just refers to any team that utilizes a bunch of really low cost to buy&field characters that can get at the opponent quickly.

Flying Sidekicks - pairing Falcon and/or Angel get sidekicks out early and make them unblockable. Usually also paired with a character that gives sidekicks a boost, Like Captain America or Goblin Lord

High Hopes

Here’s our team. Ant-Man Biophysicist, Nick Fury Patch, Professor X Recruiting Young Mutants, Doomcaliber Knight Fiendish Fighter, Iceman Too Cool For Words, with basic actions Enrage and Relentless.

Turn 1: Buy Ant-Man, save two masks*(on opponent’s turn, use PXG twice putting three dice in your prep area)
    Turn 2: (rolling 7 Sidekicks) Buy Nick Fury, save three masks*(on your opponent’s turn, use PXG three times putting six sidekick dice in your prep area)
    Turn 3: Pay 2 energy to field level thee Ant-Man and level two or three Nick Fury. We have 6 sidekick dice left. It’s time to assess what our opponent has.
    If they have a single blocker:*Use Iceman’s global to spin four sidekick dice to their bolt sides but keep one of them a mask.*Use Enrage’s global four times with the four bolts we just got all on Ant-Man, making him a 9A/2D.*Use your mask for the Relentless global, so the opposing Sidekick cannot block. Attack with both Ant-Man and Nick Fury. Since Ant-Man is an Avenger, and will be unblocked, Nick Fury lets him deal his damage to the opponent twice. 9 + 9 = 18. Plus the two damage from the attacking Nick Fury, and we have 20 damage on turn three.
    If they have no blockers, but are sitting on multiple mask energy with Distraction:*play the third turn exactly as described above, but instead of paying a mask energy on Relentless’ global, pay a fist energy for Doomcaliber Knight’s global to ensure your character’s cannot be Distracted back.*Increase Ant-Man’s damage by four with the bolts, play the Doomcaliber global, and attack. 9+9+2=20 on turn three.

It's called High Hopes because it's like that little ant(-Man) moving a whole rubber tree plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapedaveb View Post
    Midrange = teams that wait till mid game to win, often based on direct damage.
    I would define Midrange as:

Midrange = teams that adopt a strategy that is positioned somewhere between control and aggro.

They don't necessarily "wait till mid game to win" - in fact that is a contradiction in terms - instead, they have just enough control to slow aggro down, and just enough aggro to punch a hole through control. They're usually very flexible and highly adaptable, with several paths to victory, rather than just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I would define Midrange as:

Midrange = teams that adopt a strategy that is positioned somewhere between control and aggro.

They don't necessarily "wait till mid game to win" - in fact that is a contradiction in terms - instead, they have just enough control to slow aggro down, and just enough aggro to punch a hole through control. They're usually very flexible and highly adaptable, with several paths to victory, rather than just one.
    example team?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    example team?
    Walsh's US Nationals winning team is a good example of Midrange.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNuff View Post
    however, does anyone know of a good example team/theorycrafting location with more recent teams?
    Check out the top 8 from US Nationals (on WizKids's website) and my blog posts about prepping for Competitive Play and the teams I saw at Canadian Nationals. Everything in my team was taken from strategies used in the top 8 at US Nationals, though I tried to piece together bits from several strategies. Watch the matches from US Nationals. From there, play test to beat those teams. I think that's what most folks are doing now, and you're unlikely to get lots of specific ideas published publicly until after world's, I'd imagine. Some maybe. Like @Randy says, we're just getting started with depth to the original sets...the new stuff is going to make a difference, but it'll take some time to figure some of that out.

Read everything you can. There are some REALLY smart guys on this site (and others) who are making a big impact on the game. Do what most of us are trying to do and soak up their excess knowledge.

Lastly, the most recent podcasts, both TRP and TAZ, we'll give you a little idea where some of us think the game is headed. Give them a listen, keep asking questions, testing teams out, and challenging people on the Ladders. We're all going after "the best" team, but we're approaching, if not already at, A>B, B>C, C>A status. And that's good for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    We're all going after "the best" team, but we're approaching, if not already at, A>B, B>C, C>A status. And that's good for everyone.
    This is exactly true, or so it seems right now.

I was listening to "The Winning Agenda," an ANR Podcast. Someone who had just won his second store championship was talking about his corporation deck and how it will just lose to a specific deck type - he was X-0 against one sort of opponent, 0-X against the other. There's a point where you just have to be OK with that. Are we approaching the point where the meta has developed like that? I think we're nearing it, though I think the some of those A, B, and C teams may still have some similarities to one another. At least at this point. We'll see how the UK Nats and Worlds shakes that up.