Thread: I am new-Looking for team building help

I am new-Looking for team building help

Hello all.I am new to dice masters and just picked it up by playing in a dc draft at my local game shop. Every one was so nice and gave me all the cards and dice that they did not need. I would like to play in a constructed tournament in the near future. Below you will find my first team. It is a justice league theme team. I am a huge Green Lantern fan boy and this was the only way i could figure out how to play him. The idea is to use the retaliation mechanic to help me lower my opponents health. I also have zantana and red tornado to help me get more prep dice. Included with my team are the changes i would like to make once i get more dice/cards. Also i am not sure what basic actions to use. Any advice is welcome. At this point i only have dc cards and dice.

Constantine-Con artist-w/ 2 dice(i will up this to 3 dice when I get them). He is low cost and has a neat ability in my mind.
    Zantanna- Actual Magician- W/4 dice. Synergy with retaliation and extra dice in prep area.
    aquaman King of atlantis- W 2 dice. ( will change to the common card if i get it and up to 3/4 dice for cost reduction and retaliation)
    cyborg Exceptionally gifted w/1 dice. Cheap retaliation engine ( will up to 3 dice when i get more)
    Red Tornado Lab Creation- W/3 dice. works well with Constantine (I think) and lets me see more character dice.
    Green Lantern, Hall Jordan- W/2 dice. Favorite hero nice way to get some damage in and Justice league. Low health stats should help get a little more mileage out of him for Ret. (Will most likly drop this to 1 dice)

Batman, Worlds greatest Detective- W/ 2 dice another retaliation card and a way for me to gain a bit of life.
    Superman, Kal-El, W/ 1 Dice. Retaliation and big stats.

Total dice as is 17
    Total dice after desired additions 20

As stated before the goal is to use the retaliation mechanic to kill the opponent. I am also hoping constantine will help me field some for the higher cost dice like superman, batman and red tornado.

I am not sure what basic actions to use. I though about vilainous pact for more draw but I am afraid that it might screw me over in some situations. also considering anger issues for more possible damage, or maybe phantom zone for some removal?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

I agree with your basic action dice of Vilianous Pact and Anger issues those are my go to for this set. I would think of putting in martian manhunter because he is cheap with aqua man and overcrush and retaliation go hand in hand. Hope this helps.

So, looking at going cheap JLA, I would recommend BOTH Aquaman and the Starter Wonder Woman that gives field reductions. With that in mind, you're already sporting a lot of shield characters. My suggestion is you branch our from there. For you, especially since you're a GL fan, I'd suggest going for something closer to this:

Aquaman Common 4 dice
    Wonder Woman Starter 3 dice
    Zatanna ZZ Starter 4 dice (the prep one dice one)
    Batman WGD Starter 2 dice
    GL Brightest Day (Rare, do what you need to to get this guy!) 2 Dice
    Firestorm Master of Matter (also a rare, but gives you good 2 for 1 removal and fills a bolt slot for those really bad turns) 2 Dice

From here the other two slots (3 dice) are kind of up in the air. If you know others who are playing, it might not be hard to get yourself a Common Professor X. Recruiting young mutants and a die for him. If you can, that's an awesome card that completely changes the way resources work in this game. If not, maybe look at what cards you can trade for that have helpful globals. Within DC there aren't very many, and those that do have them are mostly villain related. For these last two spots you could pick up Red Tornado (since you already have him) and some sort of control or Bomb card. Martian Manhuner Green Martian could work, most of the Supermen actually aren't that great. Uncommon Deadman, or even Joker would be good control cards to slow an opponent that is going full aggro on you.

As for Basic actions, if you're only playing DC, Villainous Pact is probably your best bet. Casualties and Villainous Pact are the most commonly used after that. Neither are great with your Shield and Mask energy, so maybe look at picking up the DnD starter and getting Polymorph or Resurrection. Or the Yugioh Starter for Mystic box or Swords of Revealing Light. Either way that should get you started and give you a deck that can work well with the GL theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    So, looking at going cheap JLA, I would recommend BOTH Aquaman and the Starter Wonder Woman that gives field reductions. With that in mind, you're already sporting a lot of shield characters. My suggestion is you branch our from there. For you, especially since you're a GL fan, I'd suggest going for something closer to this:

Aquaman Common 4 dice
    Wonder Woman Starter 3 dice
    Zatanna ZZ Starter 4 dice (the prep one dice one)
    Batman WGD Starter 2 dice
    GL Brightest Day (Rare, do what you need to to get this guy!) 2 Dice
    Firestorm Master of Matter (also a rare, but gives you good 2 for 1 removal and fills a bolt slot for those really bad turns) 2 Dice

From here the other two slots (3 dice) are kind of up in the air. If you know others who are playing, it might not be hard to get yourself a Common Professor X. Recruiting young mutants and a die for him. If you can, that's an awesome card that completely changes the way resources work in this game. If not, maybe look at what cards you can trade for that have helpful globals. Within DC there aren't very many, and those that do have them are mostly villain related. For these last two spots you could pick up Red Tornado (since you already have him) and some sort of control or Bomb card. Martian Manhuner Green Martian could work, most of the Supermen actually aren't that great. Uncommon Deadman, or even Joker would be good control cards to slow an opponent that is going full aggro on you.

As for Basic actions, if you're only playing DC, Villainous Pact is probably your best bet. Casualties and Villainous Pact are the most commonly used after that. Neither are great with your Shield and Mask energy, so maybe look at picking up the DnD starter and getting Polymorph or Resurrection. Or the Yugioh Starter for Mystic box or Swords of Revealing Light. Either way that should get you started and give you a deck that can work well with the GL theme.
    Thank you for the suggestions. Incidentally i have the rare firestorm. I will have to get the other cards though. Might go pick up the dnd starter sometime this week. I looked up the green lantern rare and i have to have it so i might just need to go buy me some singles and call it good there.