Thread: In the interest of sounding stupid

In the interest of sounding stupid

So I know I'm going to sound like a complete fool, but as someone who has never played in an official capacity why is it called rainbow draft? And could someone please explain to me how it works or direct me with a link please?

Not dumb at all! It's called rainbow draft because as you open the packs, you put all of the dice in the middle of the table, and sort them by character. Because of all the colors, it's called rainbow draft. I am on mobile right now, so someone else will have to provide you with a link

Kyrdor, I don't know if you've drafted in other games like MTG but the cool thing here is that since you can see what dice there are, you can draft with the knowledge that there are a LOT or a few of one particular character. Helps give you an idea of what might be available and how strong the pool is in specific areas. IE: You get a Firestorm, but there aren't ANY OTHER bolt characters for some reason.

If you want to learn more, follow Shadowmeld's articles on the front page. To be honest, I had ZERO idea about Rainbow Drafts until talking to him!

it doesn't really need the name rainbow imo

it's just added because... eh, personal opinion not necessary

but technically, they're given that name because the dice are arranged in the middle by character after packs are opened, before/while passing, resembling a rainbow in lines of different color... sort of... but there isn't any "non" rainbow draft that I know of, unless there's some specific format where the dice AREN'T allowed to be arranged, I don't see the need for the qualifier word

Players like @SarkhanMad and @Dave have developed ways to bag draft. I'm sure if the scene develops these methods will get adopted and there will be other forms. I know magic has regular drafting, cube drafting, and sealed as its limited formats, Dice Masters seems varied enough that you can come up with many ways to run it.

Also, rainbow draft sets expectations to let people who have drafted other games that this draft IS a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Players like @SarkhanMad and @Dave have developed ways to bag draft. I'm sure if the scene develops these methods will get adopted and there will be other forms. I know magic has regular drafting, cube drafting, and sealed as its limited formats, Dice Masters seems varied enough that you can come up with many ways to run it.

Also, rainbow draft sets expectations to let people who have drafted other games that this draft IS a little different.
    I honestly haven't found anything to be that extremely different, except for seeing the dice in the middle, but that's not an adjustment even the newest person couldn't mentally make on the fly.

And I'd be a lot more interested in bag drafting (I assume that's a way to hide the dice)

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    I honestly haven't found anything to be that extremely different, except for seeing the dice in the middle, but that's not an adjustment even the newest person couldn't mentally make on the fly.

And I'd be a lot more interested in bag drafting (I assume that's a way to hide the dice)
    Sets the expectation that you aren't hiding the dice.

What we've been doing is each person separates all their cards from one set by cost, and then deal out from those stacks to build a team. 3 or less cost in the 1st stack, 4 and 5 cost in the next 2 stacks, and 6+ cost in the last. Shuffle each stack and randomly deal out 6 from the 1st stack, 10 each from the 2nd and 3rd stacks, and 4 from the 6+ stack. 30 cards/dice total, and you build a team from those cards. This way you need multiple cards to use multiple dice, and you can guarantee at least having a full range of costs to build a usable team. BACs are drawn randomly, and usually before choosing teams to make it easier for the 'less addicted' people I play with to build a team around. 15 life, and usually around 10-12 dice in play, makes for as quick of a game as I can get my friends to play. Between games, you can allow changes using any of the remaining cards that were initially drawn.