Thread: Team Idea for 'The Prep Area': Doctor Octopus has Anger Issues

Team Idea for 'The Prep Area': Doctor Octopus has Anger Issues

It all started one day when I was looking through some of the obscure DM rulings and I came across this gem:
    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...octopus#p11386

At that moment, I knew that I had to make a team built around Doctor Octopus - Mad Scientist and Overcrush. However, it was only with the release of the DC set that all of the cards fell into place and I had a working team on my hands. Anger Issues absolutely MADE Doctor Octopus work and with those two cards as a base, the rest of the team could be constructed with a bit of Q&A.

The first dilemma was getting my opponent to block me in the first place, since I needed to be blocked by multiple characters for maximum effect. Goblin Attack force - Goblin Squad takes care of that nicely, allowing me to force 3+ characters (preferably sidekicks) to block me. Now I needed some way to prevent the good doctor from getting Distracted, and Yu-Gi-Oh once again gave me an answer in the form of Doomcaliber Knight - Fiendish Fighter. For a single fist I could make Doc-Oc impervious to any sort of targeted counters. Then I was presented with the challenge of buying Doctor Octopus in the first place, to which I found an answer in two forms of ramp: the Blue-Eyes White Dragon - Monstrous Dragon global and swarm from Kobold - Greater Humanoid which synergize very well. I threw in the Magic Helmet to protect my precious Kobold Swarmer and I was just about done. Best of all, this combo made sure I was going to get the fist energy required for my other globals. Then I needed to make sure I was getting the most bang for my buck, so I had to find a way to make sure Doctor Octopus had his full 8 attack. This can be accomplished by a combination of the Polymorph and Ant-Man - Pym Particles globals to level up my Doctor and allow him to use his defense instead. Finally, I had to make sure that I would have Anger Issues available at the same time as Doctor Octopus came out, so the last slot was taken by the Beholder. It's global gives me the option to hold onto Anger Issues until I manage to field Doctor Octopus and then swing for the victory.

The full team list is saved on the Dice Masters Search Engine:
    http://dm.retrobox.eu/?view&cards=2x...Anger%20Issues

I think that Doctor Octopus is sufficiently off peoples' radar that he makes for quite an interesting and surprising gimmick. A few of the characters could be swapped around to allow for specific sub-ins, but most are absolutely vital for this strategy to work. I specifically leave out PXG since you can usually count on your opponent to bring it and it actually counters swarm if you don't have enough dice yet and swarm is more important since it guarantees enough fist energy for you to use the variety of globals that make Doctor Octopus work.

The difficult bit about this team is that it requires cards from all 5 sets that have been released and at least one card that is in very high demand right now. It is also directly countered by Lord of D. Ring, so it may be useful to swap in some sort of action removal. The final note is that you can also Cyclops - Slim instead of Doctor Octopus, lowering your damage quite significantly, but also reducing the cost by 1 and opening up Ant-Man's slot for another card that may be better suited for this sort of OTK combo.

I hope you enjoy the gimmick and I look forward to seeing what The Prep Area has in store for the coming weeks.

I think it works better with Cyclops Slim. His fielding costs of 1-1-1 going with his attack power of 5-6-7 make him more reliable.

I agree with Randy, but hey! Great topic, great post, and thanks for listening. I am also a big fan of Doc Ock, and I'm glad someone is trying to make him work! Let me know how that team holds up!

Geez guys... I only get to make teams every two weeks! Stop taking all the good ideas!!!

Seriously though, this interaction will be highlighted in our next episode, whose title is going to be Black and Blue.*SPOILERS!!!*

I can totally understand that logic, which is why I included the option to sub him in. However, since Doc-Oc has 8 defense on his level 2 side, with Ant-Man - Pym Particles/Polymorph he's going to have a full 8 attack 9 times out of 10. That extra damage is essential since it's going to be multiplied by the number of blockers. Also, the fielding cost isn't going to be much of a problem since I only need to field him once and I should be good to go. The idea is to win in one turn because if I can force 3+ blocks, I'm going to be doing a minimum of 33 damage mitigated only by their defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    I can totally understand that logic, which is why I included the option to sub him in. However, since Doc-Oc has 8 defense on his level 2 side, with Ant-Man - Pym Particles/Polymorph he's going to have a full 8 attack 9 times out of 10. That extra damage is essential since it's going to be multiplied by the number of blockers. Also, the fielding cost isn't going to be much of a problem since I only need to field him once and I should be good to go. The idea is to win in one turn because if I can force 3+ blocks, I'm going to be doing a minimum of 33 damage mitigated only by their defense.
    Oh, I know Doc Ock is viable. (Just ask @Chris about an Overcrushing Doc Ock ) I just think Cyclops is more predictable with his fielding cost. You don't have to spend the extra energy to flip his stats. And I think that's the key. Those 2 small parts that help you plan and save on energy let's you put that energy towards ramp if needed, or forcing an extra character or 2 to block. You can say that you cancel the fielding cost argument by purchasing Polymorph and sneaking Doc Ock in the back door, but I argue that you don't need to even purchase Polymorph if using Slim. Again, I'm not saying "Doc Ock sucks!". I'm saying, "Awesome strategy. I prefer it this way."

Totally agree with Randy. The only qualm i have with Doc Ock is that you need multiple blockers, meaning you could get somewhat countered just by you opponent only fielding one character at a time in their early turns. To be fair Slim has the same issue, although his lower TFC more or less justifies the potential lack of faces to melt.

Personally, I think those guys should both be back-up plans to a more direct form of overcrush damage. They definitely compliment overcrush well, but I think it'd be a long shot to see them end the game in the first 4-5 turns. Don't get me wrong, I still love the idea and I think both characters are competitively viable because of Anger Issues, I just see them as more of a utility pick for an overcrush team, not the win condition.

I really like this idea. Since I don't have Doc Ock, I'd have to go with Slim, and I think I'd switch out Polymorph with Cone of Cold. It's global seems tailor made for this. That leaves me with swapping out Ant-Man for something to counter Lord of D, since he's definitely in my meta.

Otherwise, I'd consider actually buying the Beholder and attacking with it. Simply buying the beholder and attacking with it saves you the need of buying dice for anger issues and polymorph, hoping to roll them, and having to spend energy to save those rolls. Dont buy Doc Ock until the turn you field the beholder, then attack with it, trigger polymorph, then anger issues on the new Beholder-turned-Doc Ock, add in whatever basic actions they have, THEN trigger doomcaliber, and boom.

Quote Originally Posted by varthanna View Post
    I really like this idea. Since I don't have Doc Ock, I'd have to go with Slim, and I think I'd switch out Polymorph with Cone of Cold. It's global seems tailor made for this. That leaves me with swapping out Ant-Man for something to counter Lord of D, since he's definitely in my meta.

Otherwise, I'd consider actually buying the Beholder and attacking with it. Simply buying the beholder and attacking with it saves you the need of buying dice for anger issues and polymorph, hoping to roll them, and having to spend energy to save those rolls. Dont buy Doc Ock until the turn you field the beholder, then attack with it, trigger polymorph, then anger issues on the new Beholder-turned-Doc Ock, add in whatever basic actions they have, THEN trigger doomcaliber, and boom.
    The problem with Cone of Cold is that if I can target my Doc-Oc with globals, so can my opponent. That's why we bring along Doomcaliber Knight - Fiendish Fighter so that the strategy won't be shut down by a single mask and Distraction. This is also why we use all of our globals in the main step, before Doomcaliber Knight makes our attackers untargetable. The biggest objective we have it to turn Doc-Oc into an 11 attack character before we enter the attack step. In order to do this, we have to have him on his level 2 or 3 side and then use Ant-Man's global if he's on his level 2 side. We need Polymorph to spin the good doctor up a level if we have to field him on his level 1 face.

If you're going with Slim, you've got a bit of extra freedom with the Polymorph BAC and Ant-Man (but Cone of Cold is still not an option). You can use those slots to bring some Lord of D. Ring counters like Toad - Tongue Lashing or Storm - Goddess of the Plains, though Storm would have to come out the turn before you wanted to execute your combo. You could also put Ambush in there if you want to have an absolutely stupid amount of damage.

I had a dream last night that Shadowmeld went insane after Necromanticer went on a spree and posted every team idea ever, and we had nothing to create for TPA. It was awesome.

You COULD fit a ring of Magnetism on the team and put it on anyone BUT Doc Oc, then your opponents can only affect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    That's why we bring along Doomcaliber Knight - Fiendish Fighter so that the strategy won't be shut down by a single mask and Distraction. This is also why we use all of our globals in the main step, before Doomcaliber Knight makes our attackers untargetable.

Wait, why can't you use Doomcaliber Knight in the Attack step after blockers have been declared? You (as the attacker) can still use Doomcaliber's global before the defender can use Distraction. Just don't pass them priority until after you use cone of cold and doomcaliber. Are you not still paying when you attack or did they rule that it interupts the normal timing and you can only use it when declaring attackers?

I believe that global specifically states "when you attack do X."

Quote Originally Posted by varthanna View Post
    Wait, why can't you use Doomcaliber Knight in the Attack step after blockers have been declared? You (as the attacker) can still use Doomcaliber's global before the defender can use Distraction. Just don't pass them priority until after you use cone of cold and doomcaliber. Are you not still paying when you attack or did they rule that it interupts the normal timing and you can only use it when declaring attackers?
    As Shadowmeld said and you asked about, Doomcaliber Knight's effect does not follow the usual order of globals and events. In order to activate the effect, you have to activate it when you attack, not in the globals/actions phase (though this activates in the "declare attackers" phase or the "resolve attacker effects" phase is questionable). This is similar to Beholder - Master Aberration that activates the very moment you declare it as your first attacker. Which effect would resolve first is up for debate, so I'd definitely have a judge handy, but both effects resolve before blockers can be assigned, let alone actions and globals are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    I had a dream last night that Shadowmeld went insane after Necromanticer went on a spree and posted every team idea ever, and we had nothing to create for TPA. It was awesome.
    That does sound like an awesome dream! Also a bit prophetic...

I run a weekly character review on the Dice Masters subreddit, and I was thinking about taking advantage of the blog system on this site as well. If I did, I'd want to setup a supporting series of blogs incorporating that character into a team in order to take best advantage of them.

I haven't quite decided on how I'd format such a post, but it is definitely being planned, so look out!