Thread: Article: Timing - What, When, and Why

Isn't there a time after blockers are assigned that globals can be played as well? The article states:
    "if they do nothing, and you choose to proceed into the attack step, their ability to spend that energy is just gone."
    I think that's a little misleading because perhaps they may want to save that energy to boost the attack or defense of a character after blockers are assigned.

Am I incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by SJ_Mitchell View Post
    Isn't there a time after blockers are assigned that globals can be played as well? The article states:
    "if they do nothing, and you choose to proceed into the attack step, their ability to spend that energy is just gone."
    I think that's a little misleading because perhaps they may want to save that energy to boost the attack or defense of a character after blockers are assigned.

Am I incorrect?
    No, you are correct. I believe he was implying that the opportunity to use globals during the main phase is gone, such as Mr Fantastic's must attack ability. Also, if you choose not to use your attack phase and instead end your turn, then your opponent would not have any opportunity to use that energy. In that case, their ability to spend energy is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathrin View Post
    No, you are correct. I believe he was implying that the opportunity to use globals during the main phase is gone, such as Mr Fantastic's must attack ability. Also, if you choose not to use your attack phase and instead end your turn, then your opponent would not have any opportunity to use that energy. In that case, their ability to spend energy is gone.
    Thanks for clarifying. Those point are definitely true and I guess I just didn't read between the lines.

I have a question then about some more timing issue. Primarily around Cap's shield from AvX which has the global to reduce damage by 1 for a . Can I use the gobal in response to anything that would seem appropriate (taking damage, being damaged by an ability or action) or do I have to wait?
    I might just be over-thinking it but I wanna know for sure.

Effects that prevent or redirect can be used in response. This is the only known exception to the priority rule.

@Shadowmeld So this means that I can use storm global to change the polymoroph of my opponent?

Yes and no. Yes you can use Storm global to change who polymorph targets and even choose targets that normally would not be able to be selected. There is a question out there right now on whether Storm can change the die in the used pile that is put onto the field though. As a general rule, you cannot target things outside of the field. The question becomes if I can't target them could I redirect to them. There is a slippery slope here because if you can redirect to a different target in the used pile, could you redirect to one in the Prep Area instead? Redirect rules state that when you redirect you can choose a target that wasn't allowed to be chosen the first time.

Long conundrum later, it's my opinion that you can change the initial target of Polymorph, but not the die that is being swapped in, because you can't target things outside of the field. This might be ruled otherwise, but for now that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Effects that prevent or redirect can be used in response. This is the only known exception to the priority rule.
    Ok thanks

Its good that polymorph thing was brought up too. My playgroup has been playing where you can redirect either target so long as you changed the target to something valid (which i just realized you don't have to).

Yes, but kind of no.

Let's say that I am the active player and I have Blue's Eyes Global available with at least a bolt available and there is a Magic Missle Basic Action on the board. I also have have a couple of sidekicks fielded. I am in my Main phase and choose to pass priority to my opponent. He decides to use Magic Missle's global to deal one damage to one of my sidekicks. I can stop him, even though I've passed priority, and use Blue Eye's global with my bolt to sacrifice the sidekick he was going to knock out to reduce the cost of the next die I buy by 2. My opponent would then continue on with his actions again.

You cannot use the blue eyes global in response. It is not a redirect or prevention ability. If you have already passed priority to him, he is allowed to fully resolve one action before passing that priority back to you. If he spends a bolt to KO a sidekick, then you cannot interrupt that action, even if it your turn. You passed him priority, this gives him a small window and you must let him resolve one effect.

If your sidekicks were 2/2 and he spent a bolt to do 1 damage to one of them, he would be required to pass priority back to you so you could then BEG it, before he spends another bolt to KO your sidekick.

You cannot use the blue eyes global in response. It is not a redirect or prevention ability. If you have already passed priority to him, he is allowed to fully resolve one action before passing that priority back to you. If he spends a bolt to KO a sidekick, then you cannot interrupt that action, even if it your turn. You passed him priority, this gives him a small window and you must let him resolve one effect.

If your sidekicks were 2/2 and he spent a bolt to do 1 damage to one of them, he would be required to pass priority back to you so you could then BEG it, before he spends another bolt to KO your sidekick.

That is incorrect. How I described it, is the way it works. You and your opponent want to do something as the same time and you are the active player. So you get to have your Blue Eye's global work before the damage it done.

See the ruling here: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...762ddf60b64b31

(I think it is a bad ruling, personally.)

I believe you are misunderstanding that ruling. What that ruling says is that the active player can always choose to resole an action first if they are both doing actions simultaneously. However, when the active player says he has nothing else he wants to do, the inactive player may take an action. ALL actions fully resolve when taken, unless they are prevention or redirection abilities. After that action resolves, the inactive player may declare intent to use another action, but if the active player wishes for his ability to go next, that I'd his right. The example in your link illustrates this. When the inactive player pings a character for one, notice the parenthetical phrase, "(ability resolves)" this means that that ability can no longer be interrupted, but after that ability resolves there is a window where priority returns to the active player. The inactive player can assume that the active player is not going to interrupt his second action, but the active player can "interrupt" that assumption. In a tournament level game good etiquette should have the inactive player asking to take each action individually, and the active player giving him the yes or no.

TL;DR the active player can not decide he wants to take an action after his opponent has asked him if he wants to take an action and then declines. At that point, the inactive player has permission to perform and resolve one action with no interruptions beside redirects and preventions.

I read that as the inactive player chooses to use an ability 3 times. At the declaration of the third attempt, the active players asks them to stop and he then buffs his character. The first two declarations are completed, the third is stopped so that the active player can resolve a global (since he wants to do it at the same time as the inactive player want to ping). Then the inactive players third and fourth global are then executed. It doesn't matter if it is the first time the opponent declares to use a global or the third, the active player can interject an action. If he didn't say "interject", then I'd agree with you.

Edit:
    On a personal note, I think once you pass priority, your opponent gets to use all the globals he chooses and can only be stopped if there is a damage prevention or redirection until he passes priority back to the active player. That would eliminate these types of questions. Therefore, the only simultaneous actions will be triggered ones. Then it would make sense for the active player to choose the order of those.
    Last edited by Mathrin; 05-14-2015 at 12:58 PM.

I can see your confusion, but I think the key phrase her is "interject an action" which implies that the action can be placed between actions. This also implies that the first action resolves, and between any two actions declared the active player may interrupt.

In a more simplistic approach, the active player states he is done with actions, the inactive player performs a single action and then for the benefit of keeping his intentions secret the inactive player asks for permission to take the second action.

Another way to look at it is, when the active player rerolls, the main step begins. Both players want to take actions, fielding things and PXG. The active player can keep doing things "first" until he is done going first. Then the inactive player gets a chance to do one thing "first" because the active players "first" action is to say he has no more actions to take. The inactive player says he wants to PXG, then the active player can choose to go first again or once again say he has no more actions to take. Repeat until the inactive player has nothing left to do, the active player then has a chance to do things or go to the attack step or clean up. If the active player does something the inactive will get another chance to respond, repeat until the phase ends.