Thread: How do you feel about chess clocks?

How do you feel about chess clocks?

Now, in this game it's not nearly the same issue as it is in HeroClix, where you can KO a tiny dude and run away and win on points by stalling or just playing really slowly (and nobody can ever really tell the different until it's too late and the time has passed). Anyway, we were talking first about wanting to get 2/3 games in, and how some people are sooooo slow even when they have absolutely nothing to do - oh, it was talking about the concept of 2/3 games, and how in this game the winner has no incentive to play quickly if they win the first game, since normally even with 15 life, playing 2/3 you'll probably go very close to time/go to turns.

Anyway, I still favor it in HeroClix especially, this game I'd vote for it if I ever had a vote, but I still think it'd be a good idea. When people talk about "your team is harder to play and takes longer to think against," or, "my team has a lot more pieces with inner-workings than yours," etc..., I get so annoyed. People don't want to have the ability to slow down game play taken away from them - of course, they would never tell you it's for that reason, it's always this or another.

Most people I was talking with seemed to be totally in favor of it.

I like the idea of Chess Clocks. I've run into this same problem you are describing many times myself. Anyway to speed up the game and make each player accountable for the time they are chewing up is good.

I think the challenge with clocks in Dice Masters is...with the passing of priority, and with the often times complicated ability combos and damage resolving...there are ways for the opponent to "consume" time during the active players turn...so it may get a bit cumbersome. I suppose you could hit the clock as each decision is made during priority passing and assigning attackers/blockers...but then there is also a fair amount of discussion time along with those steps that is more of a "shared" use of time.

The chess clock idea is nice, just doesn't fit as easily with Dice Masters...unless someone else has an idea of how to use it properly for this game.

People don't want to have the ability to slow down game play taken away from them - of course, they would never tell you it's for that reason, it's always this or another.
    Kinda hard to have a discussion when you state something like that.

If someone is stalling, I don't mind calling a clock. That being said, I probably take more time to make a move than the regular person.

Chess clocks could work in this game, much easier than in Magic. The problem then becomes playing the time game instead of the dice game. In chess tournaments when your opponent doesn't hit their clock, you sit there and do nothing even if you already know you next move. As using their resource of time is very valuable in the long run. This could become even more pronounced in dice masters as in a normal timed game each player would only gave 15 minutes. Losing on time, especially for new players is a real turn off.

Also the cost of the clocks, cheap ones are usually $30 or more. Who is going to buy them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred92 View Post
    Chess clocks could work in this game, much easier than in Magic. The problem then becomes playing the time game instead of the dice game. In chess tournaments when your opponent doesn't hit their clock, you sit there and do nothing even if you already know you next move. As using their resource of time is very valuable in the long run. This could become even more pronounced in dice masters as in a normal timed game each player would only gave 15 minutes. Losing on time, especially for new players is a real turn off.

Also the cost of the clocks, cheap ones are usually $30 or more. Who is going to buy them?
    I mean... if you don't hit your own clock... that's ALL on you and nobody else. When you're in a room full of clocks and you have your own specific one, even in the middle of a game, forgetting to click it is as much a mistake as not using your PXG when you have 10 masks in your prep area because you had too much else going on.