Thread: Batarang Gambit (Black Manta's Retaliation question)

Batarang Gambit (Black Manta's Retaliation question)

Hello everyone,

I have an idea for a team, and I want to know if this would work within the rules.

My team idea uses Black Manta - Deep Sea Deviant (Retaliation - If one of your Villains is KO'd, deal 1 damage to your opponent for each of your active Villains.) and Batarang - From Wayne Enterprises (Deal 1 damage to a Villain, then 2 damage to another Villain and continue selecting Villains, increasing the damage by 1 until all Villains have been selected.) BTW, I tried to get fancy with the colon codes and show the cards, but the Batarang wouldn't pop up... so we'll go older school.

Anyway, the plan would be to build the team with 7 villains and the Batarang. I'd fill the field with my own villains then, in a move of Batman-esqe brilliance, I would knock out several of them to trigger a cascade of Retaliation damage.

My question is: how would the retaliation damage be calculated? For instance, if I have only one die for each of my 7 villains, and I knock out 5 of them (not including Black Manta of course), would the first villain being KO'd trigger 6 damage, then 5 for the next, then 4 for the following... and so on? Or, would they all go out at once and only trigger Retaliation damage for the surviving villains (if 2 of the 7 survived, each of the 5 KO'd would trigger 2 damage to my opponent?)

I appreciate thoughts on this, as I know that Wizkids hasn't really seemed to give us an official answer just yet.

My initial thought was, the effect DOES state this then this then this then this... but then I remembered, each ability is resolved completely before resolving other abilities (usually). I'm willing to bet that any ruling about this card has damage resolve simultaneously. You are choosing characters one after the other, then applying damage at once. But there is leeway for it to be ruled otherwise. I looked for precedence in the rules and other cards, but "then" is very rarely used (although once as a typo of "than") and tiered attacks like this are very uncommon.

My suggestion would be to submit it to the rules forum, they appear to be answering a batch of questions a day this week, maybe you'll get lucky.

My other thought, not really a rules thought but more of how this team could work, would be to simply try and apply the damage in such a way to retain the maximum number of active villains in the field when the Batarang comes to play. Even if the effect would resolve simultaneously, as I believe that it would, there would still be a huge chunk of damage being forked over.

I agree on that end, chaining batarang off of your villains to KO your opponent's characters (after making them into villains if necessary) is the intended use of this card I think. However, the more I think about your strategy, the more I'm liking it. PS Lex Luthor uncommon allows you to send that batarang to the prep area along with all of your characters you just KOed.

Also, going seven villains and Batarang may not be the best idea. Even if we're strictly talking a DC-only environment, how likely are you to see all seven villains in the field by the time you're able to kick Batarang into gear and still be alive?

I'd consider having a non-villain flex spot or two. Blue-Eyes is an obvious complimentary piece for instance, both KO'ing your guys for retaliation damage and allowing Gobby, Deathstroke, et al to consistently activate their abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    I'd consider having a non-villain flex spot or two. Blue-Eyes is an obvious complimentary piece for instance, both KO'ing your guys for retaliation damage and allowing Gobby, Deathstroke, et al to consistently activate their abilities.
    I'm a bad, bad, bad Dice Master (yuck!)... I don't own any YuGiOh cards or dice.

I didn't mean for this to turn in to a Strategy thread, and I was about to pop a topic over there once I finish deciding what the team will look like. I certainly need and love advice from everyone here. I agree that this is a gimmicky team, however, but sometimes you gotta go gimmicky. Besides, it's a beautiful team with many moving parts, hence the name "Batarang Gambit".

Please give me a few minutes, and I'll put my preliminary team up on the Strategy forum.
    (EDIT: I done did it. Please take a look if you all have a minute or three. http://www.thereservepool.com/thread...atarang-Gambit)
    Last edited by OddballNarwhal; 05-13-2015 at 10:30 AM.