Thread: Way too many Villain deck questions

Way too many Villain deck questions

Hey there humans, my apologies for the huge questions post!

But let's get on with it...

1) How does the global on Iron Man - Industrialist interact with Black Manta - Deep Sea Deviant?

Iron Man - Industrialist

Global: Pay [1 Shield] . Target character gains the Villain affiliation.
    Black Manta - Deep Sea Deviant

Retaliation - If one of your Villains is KO'd, deal 1 damage to your opponent for each of your active Villains.
    For example, with Deep Sea Deviant active and 2/3 sidekicks attacking, if 2 sidekicks of mine are blocked by 2 opposing sidekicks and I spend 3 shields to convert all of my sidekicks to the villain affiliation, how much damage does my opponent take? 2 damage for each sidekick that was KO'd for a total of 4 (I still control two villains, Black Manta and the sidekick that didn't attack)?

2) Venom - Angelo Fortunato is weird. When are opposing dice KO'd by his ability? The moment they have zero defense? Does he pump himself up if he's on a star side?

Venom - Angelo Fortunato

While Venom is active, your opponent's non- [Fist] characters get -2A and -2D.

* Your [Fist] characters get +1A and +1D.

Global: Pay [1 Fist] to spin an opponent's [Fist] character down 1 level.
    Are sidekick dice immediately sent to KO? Can when-fielded abilities on characters who are immediately KO'd be used?

3.1) If all of your dice are in "transition" except for one character in used (purchased this turn) and one shield in reserve, can you use the Resurrection global to draw the one character die in used pile from your bag?

Resurrection

Global: Once during your turn, pay [1 Shield] to draw a die from your bag and place it in your prep area.
    Or do the dice from "transition" get put into your bag, too?

3.2) If you had an extra mask and were to use Villainous Pact's global first, would you take burn damage and get an energy instead of drawing any dice when you used Resurrection after? (all dice are "out of play")

Villainous Pact

Your opponent chooses one non-Villain character. All other non-Villains cannot block this turn.

Global: Pay [1 Mask]. Once per turn, during your turn, if you have no dice in your Prep Area, you may draw a die and place it in your Prep Area.
    4.1) If the Distraction global is used on Cheetah - Cursed Archaeologist, does she still deal one damage to the opponent?

Distraction

Your opponent targets two of his or her characters. Those characters cannot block (this turn).

Global: Pay [1 Mask] to remove one attacker from the attack zone to the field.
    Cheetah - Cursed Archaeologist

When Cheetah attacks, she deals 1 damage to the defending player.
    4.2) Is the ability on Cheetah - Cursed Archaeologist affected by the Smash! global?

Smash

Knock out a target level 1 character.

** Knock out a level 1 or level 2 character instead.

Global: Pay [1 Fist] . Target blocked character deals no damage.
    And is there an easy way to post card images on the forums?

This is not really a rules question, but this is essentially my first post here, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any responses, I know this is a lot of questions!

Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    Hey there humans, my apologies for the huge questions post!

But let's get on with it...

1) How does the global on Iron Man - Industrialist interact with Black Manta - Deep Sea Deviant?

For example, with Deep Sea Deviant active and 2/3 sidekicks attacking, if 2 sidekicks of mine are blocked by 2 opposing sidekicks and I spend 3 shields to convert all of my sidekicks to the villain affiliation, how much damage does my opponent take? 2 damage for each sidekick that was KO'd for a total of 4 (I still control two villains, Black Manta and the sidekick that didn't attack)?
    Still waiting on a final ruling, but since the two sidekicks are KO'd simultaneously, it would likely be considered a single "trigger" and therefore it would be 2 damage (1 for each active Villain: BM and the Evil Sidekick)

2) Venom - Angelo Fortunato is weird. When are opposing dice KO'd by his ability? The moment they have zero defense? Does he pump himself up if he's on a star side?
    Rulebook states (and WizKids Rules Forum agrees) that a character is KO'd as soon as their damage meets or exceeds their defense. At the moment they have 0 defense, this is considered to have happened, and they are immediately KO'd.

Are sidekick dice immediately sent to KO? Can when-fielded abilities on characters who are immediately KO'd be used?
    Yes they are. And yes they may be (see ruling on Hawkeye: "When Fielded" vs. "While Active")

3.1) If all of your dice are in "transition" except for one character in used (purchased this turn) and one shield in reserve, can you use the Resurrection global to draw the one character die in used pile from your bag?
    Yes. Anytime you need to draw and your bag is empty, you refill it from your used pile.

Or do the dice from "transition" get put into your bag, too?

No, they are in transistion until the end of your turn. Then they go to the Used Pile.

3.2) If you had an extra mask and were to use Villainous Pact's global first, would you take burn damage and get an energy instead of drawing any dice when you used Resurrection after? (all dice are "out of play")
    No, you only take damage (and get energy) if you can't refill during the Clear and Draw step.

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=1623

4.1) If the Distraction global is used on Cheetah - Cursed Archaeologist, does she still deal one damage to the opponent?
    Yes. You assign (all) attackers, then resolve all "When Attacks" effects (which this is). Then your opponent assigns (all) blockers, and then you resolve any "When Blocks" attacks. Only then do you have the opportunity to use Globals.

4.2) Is the ability on Cheetah - Cursed Archaeologist affected by the Smash! global?
    No, see above. Damage has already been done (to opponent).

And is there an easy way to post card images on the forums?
    http://www.thereservepool.com/conten...-Common-Images

This is not really a rules question, but this is essentially my first post here, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any responses, I know this is a lot of questions!
    Welcome!

Great job answering @pk2317 ...I would disagree with your first answer. I say it would trigger twice. Simultaneously since they are KO'd at the same time, but twice. We will see what the concensus is, and if the Rules Forum can give us an answer.

Other than that, I agree with everything.

Hot damn, what a fast reply! Thanks again @pk2317 , you killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Great job answering @pk2317 ...I would disagree with your first answer. I say it would trigger twice. Simultaneously since they are KO'd at the same time, but twice. We will see what the concensus is, and if the Rules Forum can give us an answer.

Other than that, I agree with everything.
    I would *like* to agree with you, but there is debate based on their ruling on the BAC Casualties:

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=5705

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    I would *like* to agree with you, but there is debate based on their ruling on the BAC Casualties:

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=5705
    Yuck, I don't like that ruling at all.

The difference here is the eternal if/when dillema. If something dies you trigger retaliation for each something that dies. When sidekicks die, you trigger healing. When is a single trigger, if they all happen simultaneously, while if is multiple triggers, even if they happen simultaneously.

The opposite is true for Black Manta -David. If he is damaged during the attack step then we have one trigger. If it said when he is damaged during the attack step, you could ping him like nova or hulk.

Has there been any resolution on this wrt. Black Manta - Deep Sea Deviant?

If he's in play and my only two villains are KO'd in combat, does my opponent take 1 or 2 damage?

There has not be an official ruling, but every instance of "When x is KOed" measures an instance of time, not number KOed. Every instance of "If KOed", measure each thing KOed. Thus, retaliation triggers for each character that dies, not each TIME a character dies.

TLDR 2 dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    There has not be an official ruling, but every instance of "When x is KOed" measures an instance of time, not number KOed. Every instance of "If KOed", measure each thing KOed. Thus, retaliation triggers for each character that dies, not each TIME a character dies.

TLDR 2 dmg.
    Ah, that makes sense! There are certainly some fiddly ways these rules shake out. Thanks again, Pat.

I think they will rule Black Manta the same way that they ruled the Casualties + Save Civilians question.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I think they will rule Black Manta the same way that they ruled the Casualties + Save Civilians question.
    I actually disagree. Retaliation says "If x, then y" and those BACs say "when x, then y." If happens for each trigger occurs. "When" happens for each moment that a trigger occurs. Thus if multiple When's occur simultaneously, there is only one trigger, thus the logic behind that ruling.

I understand your reasoning, Shadowmeld.

I just don't see any rules or rulings based basis for the distinction.

It'd be nice if they would rule on some of these issues.

I believe I asked about Deadman at WizKid's rules forum awhile ago and never had my thread approved.

I also asked about Deadman, so hopefully that will prompt them in to answering.

I often wonder why they answer some questions and not others.

They have answered a number of questions multiple times, so it can't be that they consider those questions they don't as having been answered already.

So the only conclusion I can come to is that they don't have answers for them.