Thread: The Dice Tower Age Of Ultra Live Play

The Dice Tower Age Of Ultron Live Play

Later today (4:00pm PT I believe) The Dice Tower will have a live play using the upcoming Age of Ultron set. I'll be heading out to go camping so I'll have to check back to see the spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyTXkgSpKhA
    Last edited by pishposh; 05-15-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: fix typo in title

30 minutes!

Unfortunately I'm going to miss it live, but plan to watch as soon as I can. If no one else does, I'll grab as much card info as I can and post it.

Got to watch the first few minutes.

Star-Lord
    4 fist
    Guardians of the Galaxy affiliation
    "While active, other Guardians of the Galaxy cost 1 less to buy"

Ooh, so many new cards to try and read as they play them... Thanks for the link.

I'm struggling to watch this. I want to correct all of their play mistakes!

Yeah, the 10 minute discussion on once-block-always-blocked...

Yep, the chat is tearing them up. Figure there are some TRP people in there

The most interesting reveal from the cast is that Tom doesn't understand how combat works.

Quote Originally Posted by jigsawhc View Post
    Yep, the chat is tearing them up. Figure there are some TRP people in there
    I totally agree with you guys but I urge everyone to not share those thoughts in the chat. Dice Tower has probably done more to bring new players into the game than any other outlet (TRP and others do a nice job of keeping them hooked after that first hit). Think about the message that such comments send to people who are watching and considering to take the plunge: "Wow these DM players are a bunch of turds. If I wanted that I'd play Magic!" I haven't seen said comments, but please do your part in keeping DM a welcoming and friendly environment. Negativity only hurts the game.

I will have to watch the replay to see what you guys mean

Point of strategy though--for Tom, I'd urge you to not correct mistakes too strenuously. He is in a position where he has to hear what feels like complaints about his play all too often. As long as he's having fun, and everyone else playing is happy, he doesn't care all that much about too many mistakes.

Listen to some of his Q&A videos that followed a day or two after previous live plays of other games. Some of those games he has all but sworn off playing live again because of fans' continued complaints about getting this or that wrong.

He's too good of a champion of DM to beat down his enthusiasm for spreading the word about the game.

Edit: Ninja's by Indy Mon. I agree, IM. Well said.

I agree whole heartedly, that's why i kept my comment here :P

On the other hand, I do appreciate the exposure Tom's giving us, I might have to thank him when I'm at Dice Tower Con. If anyone else is going I'll see you there (representing GMT games, but when the booth closes out will come my TRP shirt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    I totally agree with you guys but I urge everyone to not share those thoughts in the chat. Dice Tower has probably done more to bring new players into the game than any other outlet (TRP and others do a nice job of keeping them hooked after that first hit). Think about the message that such comments send to people who are watching and considering to take the plunge: "Wow these DM players are a bunch of turds. If I wanted that I'd play Magic!" I haven't seen said comments, but please do your part in keeping DM a welcoming and friendly environment. Negativity only hurts the game.
    There was no negativity.

It was stated what the correct way to play was and details of where to find the information were provided.

That was all.

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiX View Post
    I missed it. Did anyone get screenshots of the new cards?
    Working on them now.

It was tough to read a lot of the card text from the stream. It was near impossible to distinguish commons from uncommons. The rares were pretty easy to spot. They were reading the card text for a lot of them, so it may not be word for word what the cards actually say.

**At the end of the stream Tom said he's doing a full review of the set next week and we'll get to see most of the cards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buckycommon.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gamorarare.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lokissceptercommon.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moondragoncommon.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nickfuryrare.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	philcoulsoncommon.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shieldagentcommon.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starhawkcommon.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starlordrare.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thanoscommon.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultrondronecommon.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	visioncommon.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wondermancommon.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	458Name:  beast.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  34.0 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	daredevil.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	460Name:  hawkeye.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  18.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	odin.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thor.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	463

Beast 2 Fist
    XMen

Bucky Barnes - James Buchanan Barnes 4 Shield
    Villain
    * Bucky gets +2A
    ** Bucky can't be blocked by sidekicks

Captain Marvel 5 Shield
    Avengers

Daredevil 3 fist

Gamora 4 Fist (Rare)
    Villain
    When Gamora attacks, choose a character die to block Gamora unless your opponent pays 3 health.

Giant-Man 4 Mask
    Avenger
    When he attacks, reroll him then return him to his original level?

Hawkeye 3 Mask
    Avengers

Loki 5 Bolt
    Villain

Loki's Scepter 4 Mask

Maria Hill 3 Shield (Rare)

Moondragon 5 mask
    Avengers/Guardians
    If Moondragon is killed in combat you may roll and Avenger or Guardians die from the used pile. If it's a character die you may field it (paying all costs). If it's not, return it to the used pile.

Moondragon 4 Mask
    Avengers/Guardians

Nick Fury 4 Mask (Rare)
    Avengers

Odin - The all Father 6 Shield

Phil Coulson - Man with the plan 3 Shield (uncommon I think)
    SHIELD
    Spend 1 to field a sidekick or SHIELD Agent from your used pile

Rocket Raccoon 3 Bolt
    Guardians
    When Rocket Raccoon attacks with at least 1 other character he gets +2A

SHIELD Agent 2 Bolt
    SHIELD
    *First Avenger Character fielded each time is free

Spiderwoman - Jessica Drew 3 Fist
    Avengers
    Spider-Woman can't be blocked by characters with a printer fielding cost of 0

Star Hawk 4 Mask
    Avengers

Star Lord 4 Fist
    Guardians
    While active, other Guardians cost 1 less to purchase.

Thanos - The Mad Titan 8 Mask (Uncommon I think)
    Villain
    Thanos cannot be blocked.

(female) Thor 7 Shield
    Avengers

Ultron Drone - 01000100 01101001 01100101 (die) 2 Fist
    Villain
    Capture any enemy character dice blocking Ultron Drone (return it at the end of the turn). Global: Pay 2 fist. Force and opposing character die to block a character of your choice this turn.

Vision 4 Bolt
    Villain
    If your opponent has a non-villain character die active, vision gain +4D
    Last edited by DigitalFirefly; 05-18-2015 at 02:19 AM. Reason: added more

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    "Tearing them up" probably was not the best way to say it. The chat was all in fun in giving them a hard time. More about their singing than anything else
    I'm always glad to see when they are playing and showing off new cards.

Yeah agreed. And Zee seemed to be having fun with them relaying the chat messages. It was a great time.

Wonder Man's text is "When you have less than 11 life, Wonder Man loses villain, gains Avenger, and gets +1A and +1D"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I agree whole heartedly, that's why i kept my comment here :P

On the other hand, I do appreciate the exposure Tom's giving us, I might have to thank him when I'm at Dice Tower Con. If anyone else is going I'll see you there (representing GMT games, but when the booth closes out will come my TRP shirt!)
    Definitely let him know how much we appreciate what he is doing. Great dude.

I'm pretty new to the game, so maybe I'm missing something.

I watched the video, and other than the question about what happens if all blockers are removed from combat [which seems to be on the more esoteric side of the rules, IMO], were they getting any rules wrong or otherwise misplaying? Or this mostly about giving Tom a hard time about not being a competitive deckbuilder or player?

However, they did raise an interesting question about the purpose/intent of the Ultron Drone effect. At first I thought it might be a drawback (anything can block it w/o getting KO'd) to balance the low cost and die stats [I don't know what they are], and the confusion was a result of the bias of card effects generally being positive [as opposed to e.g Booster Gold common]. But now I'm thinking that it a weird spot removal trick, considering the global effect. You can force a problematic opposing character to block the drone to briefly send it out of play during its capture, erasing any effects it might have on stats, damage, KO effects [e.g. Retaliation], etc. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Also, in the interest of the card spoiler above, the card seems to read "capture ANY enemy character dice...", not "capture AN enemy character dice...", so it captures them all, not just one.

LMoE

You got this right. Capture Black Manta, kill all his villains, laugh.