Thread: Superman- Not a Bird or a Plane

Superman- Not a Bird or a Plane

Superman cannot be targeted by opposing action dice or abilities.

What does this include?

Basic Action dice
    Special Action dice (like Batarang or Lantern Power Ring)
    Global abilities an opponent uses
    Abilities on an opponent's character card

I'm guessing it is all of the above, but I wanted to ask.

All of the above, if they use the term "target" or otherwise allow you to select a specific character.

Any abilities like "Imprisoned" that would affect all characters meeting a certain criteria could still affect Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    All of the above, if they use the term "target" or otherwise allow you to select a specific character...
    ...or defined number of characters.

E.g, Storm Wind-Rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundernuts View Post
    does Green goliath's power affect this superman?

what about goddess of the plains?
    Yes.

And yes.

What about the new Ageof Ultron common Loki, which erases the card text of a target character?

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavius View Post
    What about the new Ageof Ultron common Loki, which erases the card text of a target character?
    Loki would have to target him first in order to deal his damage and apply the effect negation. Since Loki is unable to target Superman in the first place, Loki is unable to cancel his effect.

Aslo, Loki cancels the ability of a single die, he does not wipe the cards text. If you use Loki's ability against a fielded Wasp, you're still able to then use Wasp's global since Loki explicitly cancels the ability of the die, not the card. For this same reason, Loki is an awful counter to Jocasta - Patterned After Janet, since he's effectively a highly limited Magic Missile global.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Loki would have to target him first in order to deal his damage and apply the effect negation. Since Loki is unable to target Superman in the first place, Loki is unable to cancel his effect.

Aslo, Loki cancels the ability of a single die, he does not wipe the cards text. If you use Loki's ability against a fielded Wasp, you're still able to then use Wasp's global since Loki explicitly cancels the ability of the die, not the card. For this same reason, Loki is an awful counter to Jocasta - Patterned After Janet, since he's effectively a highly limited Magic Missile global.
    While I totally agree with Loki not canceling globals, I can say he was ruled at Gencon to cancel the entire text of the card. In this instance, I believe, though I wasn't playing in the game in question, there was only one of the character in question in the field. Something else for the rules forum to clarify...

@Jthomash2

Loki does specify that he cancels the ability of the character die, not the card:

Quote Originally Posted by Loki Laufeyson
    While Loki is active, once per turn you may pay to deal 1 damage to a character die. That character die loses all of its abilities until end of turn. You may use this ability whenever you could use a global ability.
    However, I was not at Gencon for that game, so I have no idea how it was ruled in tournament play.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Like I said, I agree with you. I'm offering a bit of second hand experience, since this happened beside me during play. I think the right and correct ruling is as you have described, @Necromanticer . If someone is counting on using Loki in an organized event, one is best served by clarifying in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    Superman cannot be targeted by opposing action dice or abilities.

What does this include?

Basic Action dice
    Special Action dice (like Batarang or Lantern Power Ring)
    Global abilities an opponent uses
    Abilities on an opponent's character card

I'm guessing it is all of the above, but I wanted to ask.
    What about wolverine "the best there is". Does Superman gets knocked out every single time he blocks wolverine or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by csanchez198734 View Post
    What about wolverine "the best there is". Does Superman gets knocked out every single time he blocks wolverine or vice versa?
    Wolverine's ability doesn't "target" - it doesn't select a specific number of dice (it applies to any number of blocking characters).

Quote Originally Posted by Jhinds View Post
    What about mera's global from the war of light set. Would she still reduce supermans damage down to two.
    Yes. She doesn't target since she affects the damage you take, not the character dealing the damage.