Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: War of Light Starter Set Photo

War of Light Starter Set Photo

WizKids posted this photo (here) on Facebook. Top right side of the desk there is a War of Light Dice Masters starter set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11049443_10153056269294079_6944673132022553513_o.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	443

Anyone able to zoom in close enough to see what all is in there?

I see Batman and Green Lantern. I'm assuming the rest are other colored Lanterns. I don't know enough about them to make a guess at the characters.

It looks like Batman in the bottom right of the WoL Starter.

I want to know what the 4 black dice are to the right of the Age of Ultron Starter Set.

I believe that is the Premier Event playmat under the keyboard.

The dice in that starter are stand ins. Bottom left isn't even a DC die, it's Marvel Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    Bottom left isn't even a DC die, it's Marvel Girl.
    Whilst it does resemble Marvel Girl, I don't think it is. Primarily because it appears to also be amongst the illustrated dice on both the starter and the gravity feed.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I want to know what the 4 black dice are to the right of the Age of Ultron Starter Set.
    Wow hadn't spotted those!

They almost look like they may be items of amour, maybe for the next D&D set?

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I believe that is the Premier Event playmat under the keyboard.
    Also hadn't spotted that!

Am hoping to bag myself one of those at UK Nationals.

Hmm... I wonder what else is in the picture that hasn't been spotted yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Wow hadn't spotted those!

They almost look like they may be items of amour, maybe for the next D&D set?
    They definitely aren't Action dice, they have stats in the corners.

They kinda look like variant dice, the right most one looks like Superman's S logo.

Guessing based off color and symbol:

Top row: Green Lantern (Hal), Sinestro, Atrocitus (?)
    Mid row: Raven, Larfleeze (?)
    Bottom: Mongul, Sister Sercy (?), Batman

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    They definitely aren't Action dice, they have stats in the corners.
    Chase dice for WoL?

That's entirely possible. Like the Marvel Zombies that each have their own unique die.

Ah, yeah, chase dice is very likely.

Would explain why they are all the same colour.

they could also be prototype cuts. One of those looks like Emma Frost's Diamond. those could be original prints before they add color or alternate plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    they could also be prototype cuts. One of those looks like Emma Frost's Diamond. those could be original prints before they add color or alternate plastics.
    Also possible. The first one kinda looks like Mr. Sinister, and the third could be Magneto.

Sinister, Mystique, Magneto and Emma Frost actually. All villains from UxM? Looks like they are probably prototype cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Sinister, Mystique, Magneto and Emma Frost actually.
    Not seeing that myself.

Name:  Protodice zoom.png
Views: 220
Size:  9.7 KB

Yeah Sinister doesn't look right, maybe AoU Cap America? and Mystique isn't right either. But I'm pretty sure about Emma and 75% sure about Magneto.

Magneto's symbol is thinner.

And Emma's less solid.

I think it's pretty cool. It doesn't inherently impact the game. There are some collectors who have asked for some of this stuff and it gives them what they're looking for without messing things up for everyone else.

As long as the Chase Rares remain just full-art variants of some of the Super Rares, I think it's fine.

I am less happy with the doubling of the Super Rare count.

I am what one might call a 'functionality completionist' - so I'm not bothered by full/alt-art variants of other cards.

But if it's different cards with different abilities then I want them all!

And you can be sure that WizKids are not going to double the SR drop rate.

So that means I effectively have to double my investment into each set.

I'm in the collector camp, but don't like the intro of chase dice unless they are deliberately designed to be bad (or just art variants), thus keeping prices down to a more reasonable level. That would be providing service to collectors.

If they are useful for game play in a unique way then it's just another even more expensive tier, which to some extent undermines some of DM rare positioning in the market as being a more budget friendly collectible game (that's also a good, fun, and supported. You can already buy discontinued or bad collectible games at cheap prices).

EDIT: yeah, I thought 4 was a pretty decent sweet spot for SR too. I'm sure WK will adjust appropriately depending on the outcome of this experiment.

I'm just glad people agree with me. I thought I was just being a Negative Nancy.