Thread: Black Canary Super Rare Question

Black Canary Super Rare Question

Hello

To help settle another debate

Redd
    When Phoenix is engaged, you may spend [2 Bolt] to deal 4 damage to target character or opponent

Black Canary
    Dinah Laurel Lance
    When Black Canary attacks, you may pay [1 Bolt] to prevent a target character from blocking this turn.

So assume it would be the same rule for both these cards.
    Lets pretend you have 2 Canary dice in the field out with 3 lightning bolts to possibly use

How many times can you use her ability?

Any "when X pay Y to do Z" ability is one Y per instance of X.

But could you pay 2 bolts for Phoenix's ability multiple times? I assumed 'yes', I just figured she had to be engaged to do so. I never thought is this ability as a "response ability"

"When Pheonix is Engaged," pay once only.
    "If Pheonix is Engaged," Pay as many times as you want.

DAMN YOU IF/WHEN!!!!!!!

comparing a promo with a super rare

Yeah, Black Canary has a significantly better die with superior stats and costs across the board. Also, with the Superwoman and Iceman globals available, I think she's actually better for not being a bolt energy since she fits better into a bashy fist composition instead of being forced into a bolt team where most strategies are going to be burn focused or include their own blocker removal a la Blue Dragon or Magic Missile.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    "When Pheonix is Engaged," pay once only.
    "If Pheonix is Engaged," Pay as many times as you want.

DAMN YOU IF/WHEN!!!!!!!
    Really? I would have interpreted Redd as working per blocker. Granted that is still 2 bolts per blocker.