Thread: What do you all think about the Wizkids achievements? And do you care?

What do you all think about the Wizkids achievements? And do you care?

So I have been using the wizkids event system for like 2 monthish now. I have a bunch of achievements, my favorite are the heroclix tournaments I have credit for but never played in as I only play dicemasters. It seems like there are some cool things for heroclix but nothing for dice masters.

So.... DO you use it?

Do you care?

What is everyones' guesses as to what this will do for individual players?

Nope. And nope.

I don't play in the tournaments that my local store run any more, and when I did they didn't associate results with people's WES accounts, despite using the WES for tournaments.

Don't know if they do now, however.

I have stuff there but my store doesn't really use WES. That said, we're at the beginning.

Some people really have fun with tracking some of that stuff... I just want to play. I don't want to think about my overall record, I don't want to think about achievements. If I'm playing in a WES tournament at my store, say it's constructed and there are new people, I'm more likely to bring something fun to play and who cares if I win? But suddenly if it's tied to my W/L record on there I feel differently about it. I'm not a huge fan but I know some people would really like that stuff.

My only care is if there are some OP cards/Dice that are connected to it somehow. That would make it worth it. It seems like there is with the heroclixs. But I was just wondering. I use it because Wizkids is talking to the store owners that they will have mini conventions at stores that use it and have players that use it to sign up for events. I do like the keeping score thing, but that is neither here or there.

Wasn't even aware this existed. My FLGS doesn't run any events yet anyway.

I'd say that for stores that aren't use the WES, they should. We have had some players find our store or event specifically because we listed the event there, and the pairings system is handy, and not too hard to use from a phone or ipad. Also, reporting results from past events lets people looking for events see that people are showing up and playing, so they know they're not going to show up and be the only one there. It's not the best thing ever, I just see it as another tool to promote the store like Facebook or the forums here and at BGG.
    As for the Achievements, I only really care if they start doing some kind of rewards to players or volunteers. I'd love to see them do something at the end of the year where a thank you is sent to volunteers, or a card is sent out to players who played in X number of events for the calendar year. Just another way to give back to the players dedicated to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    Wasn't even aware this existed. My FLGS doesn't run any events yet anyway.
    DF: I got another player to commit to meet me on an evening, and talked the store into listing it on Facebook and the WES as a "Dice Masters Meet and Greet." Had 8 players show, and ran AvX month one, when I've been trying to talk the store into doing events for months and couldn't get them to commit. Ask them to make you a volunteer on the the WES, then tell them if people show you'll pair it and judge it. Sometimes you have to take the initiative and show a store it's profitable to run events. Now my FLGS is excited to run more events.

Quote Originally Posted by chalos13 View Post
    DF: I got another player to commit to meet me on an evening, and talked the store into listing it on Facebook and the WES as a "Dice Masters Meet and Greet." Had 8 players show, and ran AvX month one, when I've been trying to talk the store into doing events for months and couldn't get them to commit. Ask them to make you a volunteer on the the WES, then tell them if people show you'll pair it and judge it. Sometimes you have to take the initiative and show a store it's profitable to run events. Now my FLGS is excited to run more events.
    I'd totally do that, except I have a 1 1/2 year old and my wife is 4 months pregnant. So I can't really commit to something like that.

1) I run the events at my store and I use it. It has drawn new players to the store, it makes pairings and tie breakers BEYOND easy, and there's more beyond that (see below).

2) I care as a TO for the reasons stated above. I care as a player for several reasons. First and foremost is that there will be tangible benefits associated with it in the near future. WizKids said at GAMA that they will be doing DM prerelease events later this year that are weeks before official release dates at select stores and that they will base which stores get the product on event data for that store from WES. I want more store to hold such events so I religiously enter data for each event and I have helped teach other local stores how to do the same. WizKids has also less directly stated that there will be physical swag associated with achievements at some future date. Who knows if that will ever happen but I don't want to miss out. Finally, I just like gold stars, plain and simple. I would never do something specifically to get an event, but when I log in and happen to see new achievements have been awarded I get a little happiness rush (not huge but, hey, why not?!).

it's fun

I've been using it since it began, as it was created right after I started playing HeroClix like four years ago.

They just started the achievements over the Summer, and so I think it's fun. I have a bunch for playing in different stores, playing more than just one game (DM and HeroClix), different Avengers ID cards from HeroClix, winning and participating in HeroClix and DM tournaments, etc...

It's nothing serious, but something fun to joke about and compare e-peens with your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I have stuff there but my store doesn't really use WES. That said, we're at the beginning.

Some people really have fun with tracking some of that stuff... I just want to play. I don't want to think about my overall record, I don't want to think about achievements. If I'm playing in a WES tournament at my store, say it's constructed and there are new people, I'm more likely to bring something fun to play and who cares if I win? But suddenly if it's tied to my W/L record on there I feel differently about it. I'm not a huge fan but I know some people would really like that stuff.
    I mean... who cares about your W/L record? You can choose to not let other people see it (you can choose every part of your profile that you want to make private/public/available to friend (followers)/etc...

Mine current record from when they started recording event win/losses and storing it and displaying it is 70-78-2, so I'm not even at .500, but whatever. Most of that (95%) is from HeroClix, as I've only played in I think 3 Dice Masters events, and that is just since around less than a year I think - if it had been the past 4 years of HeroClix as well, I have no idea what my record would be, honestly. I'd like to think it would be better, as I took a big break having school on the Clix nights at my local shop and came back to playing after the event system had the revamp to include that info, but whatever.

It's a fun way to challenge myself to be better.

Also, I like seeing the achievments and stuff, like I said before, it's all fun e-peen stuff that doesn't have any real bearing on life, so who cares? Have fun with it, don't let it stress you out. Your win/loss record isn't going to keep you from being able to do something, it's just a fun thing to have out there - it makes the whole experience more visceral.

Also, I'm a big fan of sports and fantasy sports and stat tracking, so it's nice to be able to do that in my nerdy hobby that I can participate in (I'd be cracked in two on a football field in two seconds).

I just mean like... chill out and have fun with it. I play a lot of fun stuff also, and only some nights care really hard about winning (which I definitely have done), and I also go through phases of being better and worse at HeroClix, but still, I'm not going to change what I play just to get my record to a better %, you know? That'd be silly. This is solely an fun afterthought to my main enjoyment of playing the game.

And I said I said, you can choose to make your profile public, private, only available to friends, and you can make that setting for every single part of it, so you can choose to display your feed of events you went to to friends, and then hide your W/L record to just yourself, but let your let's say profile picture be public, or whatever you want, or you want to let your friends see your achievements but not other WES members. Also, you aren't going to have a lot of friends on there, and nobody is going through checking other peoples' stats.

It's also most definitely the best way to find stores and stuff, as I've always been able to trust the information printed about the game info and the time, and the people who register are 98% going to show up (maybe less but it's pretty good), especially compared to say, the % of people who RSVP to something on Facebook and actually show up, so you can know if something is worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    1) I run the events at my store and I use it. It has drawn new players to the store, it makes pairings and tie breakers BEYOND easy, and there's more beyond that (see below).

2) I care as a TO for the reasons stated above. I care as a player for several reasons. First and foremost is that there will be tangible benefits associated with it in the near future. WizKids said at GAMA that they will be doing DM prerelease events later this year that are weeks before official release dates at select stores and that they will base which stores get the product on event data for that store from WES. I want more store to hold such events so I religiously enter data for each event and I have helped teach other local stores how to do the same. WizKids has also less directly stated that there will be physical swag associated with achievements at some future date. Who knows if that will ever happen but I don't want to miss out. Finally, I just like gold stars, plain and simple. I would never do something specifically to get an event, but when I log in and happen to see new achievements have been awarded I get a little happiness rush (not huge but, hey, why not?!).
    I had no idea about the bolded, but I dig it. I also still am not going to sweat over swag based on achievements or not.

For example, I'll make my page public, as it's a good example of a WES member who's been using it since the start:

Here's my profile: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/player..._USER_ID=12553

And how I have my privacy settings:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Privacy.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	487

And you can tell the whole website has been a work in progress from the start. First it was just a place for stores to show themselves and their events, then it started recording the results, then it got its own system to do pairings/recording results live (you can literally watch the results update live if you're clicked on an event's results as its happening and restarting ever ~45 minutes), then it started to show/track your W/L record, then it got achievements, then it got more achievements, then they added the HeroClix (only, so far) achivements directly tied to product (there are plastic cards that function as a sort of HeroClix sideboard that come in boosters or like, at Nationals, as Battle Royale and tournament prizes only - meaning some of them were only available at Nationals to have as an achievement and get, and some can be gotten in any booster if bought enough). Obviously, you can buy the convention exclusive ones on eBay, but there are still only so many in the world out there, you know? And someone could be selling it (because even if the code was used by someone else, anyone can still use it on their team in a game) but have already used the code, etc...

I guess I can see that part really annoying some completionists - convention only product that gives you achievements. That just makes me LOL thinking about OCD people freaking out about it. I'm definitely a little OCD about things myself (no icons on desktop, etc...), but not like that; I do, however, definitely know people like that, and certainly know them second hand through the internet.