Thread: To mix or not to mix....that's a question!

To mix or not to mix....that's a question!

First of: I'm a casual player with a capital C. I like to play games (not just Dice Masters) for theme first and foremost, though finding cool and creative ways to win is definately a part of the fun. I don't play games TO win, but I always try to win, when I play - see the distinction?...I do at least

I love the super hero theme in Dice Masters. I've never actually read a super hero comic (though after going into Dice Masters so heavily I probably should). But the theme speaks to me. I neither own nor play YGO or D&D Dice Masters: the former because I dislike the artwork and find the whole YGO universe too strange for my taste and the latter because I have and have had the oppotunity to engange in the D&D genre and uniserve on sooo many other occations, I don't really care for yet another one (and also beacuse I don't like that all tre other sets have actual characters while D&D only have generic monsters and heroes - why would I want to have generic mr. "dwarven cleric" on my team when I could have THE Wolverine on it instead, I really don't get that. There are plenty of named characters in the D&D universe, why couldn't they have picked them?!).

And now to the issue...or question at least: I plan to only play the Marvel and DC Dice Masters sets and I plan to mix them. Even though the two are different settings, it's all super heroes and I never read comics and can't really distinguish which heroes partain to which setting/universe anyway. Furthermore I could definately see say Spiderman and Superman teaming up to fight some villain, but I just can't bring myself to team up say a red dragon, Wonder Woman, an elf wizard and a (canoptic or otherwise shaped) jar! To me that wouldn't just be unthematic, it would actively destroy the experience for me and thus my enjoyment of the game.

And to that end: what are you guys' oppinions and reasons for mixing or not mixing sets/themes in Dice Masters? And if an event was "super hero only"-Dice Masters, would you attend?

I'd love to hear constructive oppinions on this....

I'm totally with you. I think the challenge with Dice Masters is tbat it attracks 2 different kinds of people...Gaming Culture fans who grew up with Magic, Warhammer or other collectable and miniature games...as well as Superhero fans who were either drawn in by thier love of the classic comic books or the huge slew of recent TV shows and movies. There is definitely some overlap between these 2 groups, but I find that people generally lean towards one more than the other.

Many people in the first category play it for the strategy and the interesting mechanics of the game, whereas people in the later category play it for the unique ability of the game to play out a mock classic superhero battle with dice in a fun competative setting.

Neither approach is wrong, but both types of people are looking to get something different out of the game. Being more from the second group myself, I am more inclined to not mix, and would love to see the game just focus in on Superhero stuff. I would imagine that it is not likely they will do so, since there are fans of the other IPs out there, I believe the D&D set was considered a success, so why not keep supporting that more down the road?

At least we are going to get 4 hero sets in a row now...with the 5th one rumoured as a Batman set. Some good stuff coming for sure.

I would attend any and every event that I could short of ridiculous house rules.

I will mix anything. In MTG, the Kamigawa block (based on Oriental mythos) followed the Mirrondin block (magical robots). That's not really less ridiculous. The fact that they're established IPs doesn't make a difference to me. It's the same thing in my mind.

Heck I'd mix Ken's Smurfs, RJs Muppets and DC vertigo characters. You can't tell me that that is anywhere near appropriate.
    Last edited by Shadowmeld; 05-18-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    I'm totally with you. I think the challenge with Dice Masters is tbat it attracks 2 different kinds of people...Gaming Culture fans who grew up with Magic, Warhammer or other collectable and miniature games...as well as Superhero fans who were either drawn in by thier love of the classic comic books or the huge slew of recent TV shows and movies. There is definitely some overlap between these 2 groups, but I find that people generally lean towards one more than the other.
    I think there are actually three subgroups:

IP-specific-nerds.
    Gaming-nerds.
    Crossover-nerds.

The third is as in to the theme as the first, but their 'thing' is Wolverine riding in to the fray on the back of a Red Dragons whilst flinging Batarangs at Elves hiding behind the Canopic Jars found on Wimbledon Common.

And I sit somewhere in the intersection of all three.

Great with all the replies.

I just need to clarify: this is not one of those "I don't like that way, so people shouln't do it"-type posts. I ask because I'm genuinely interested in hearing how people play but also - most importantly - why! Perhaps I could be persuaded to join the "mix-it-up"-wagon or perhaps the community's responses could confirm for me that there are others like me.

So to recap: not a "hate"-post just really interested in your reasons for mixing or not mixing.

I wasn't planning on mixing at first. But a Yu-Gi-Oh card came out that was just what my team needed. So I started mixing. And I haven't had any less fun "watering down" my super heroes with Yu-Gi-Oh.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I wasn't planning on mixing at first. But a Yu-Gi-Oh card came out that was just what my team needed. So I started mixing. And I haven't had any less fun "watering down" my super heroes with Yu-Gi-Oh.
    Agreed. I still know nothing about YGO and have never played D&D, but my enjoyment of Dice Masters hasn't been reduced by mixing sets.

Same here. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I don't care what the DM set is. I will still mix them in if they fit well with my team, or are fun to play!

until wizkids says "this is the standard format, we're rotating out AvX!" i'm fine with mixing. i haven't touched YGO either, but i love the DND set and mix them with heroes. our local group might tinker with themes for our constructed events. marvel only, dnd only, commons only. but that's more up to the local group. i think of all of us only a few have collected a couple YGO singles, we would not have a good turn out for YGO only events...

With Heroscape being my other big hobby game, I'm all for mixing of genres. It had super heroes, robots, ninjas, orcs, dinosaurs, orcs RIDING dinosaurs, etc.

Unlike Heroscape, DM didn't start off with mixed genres, so I can understand how a comics fan might see other stuff as an incursion to the purity of the comic-only game. I can also see some Marvel fans not happy about the invasion of DC in their game. I think the tent is big enough for all of us. House rule only certain sets in your games if you wish. I'll still play with ya!

Any card that can be played advantageously is fair game no matter what IP it comes from, but you can bet your life savings that I'll never go out and hunt down every last YGO card. :-p

All starter sets are worth it for the BAC's, and the last 2 releases have had some great starter cards, so no real risk/loss in getting a starter set of each release at minimum.

I was drawn into DM because of Quarriors, and Marvel. Was not going to get the D&D set originally, but the new mechanics are fun to play around with. Heck, I wasn't even going to bother with the DC set at first, but it's as good and balanced as the D&D set when playing IP specific (in spite of the proofreader taking the day off when it was sent to print). Future IP's will be treated like YGO/D&D - buy a starter, look at the rest of the set and decide if it's worth getting a full set, or just a few cards that may be useful.

In general - if it bothers you when someone spanks you silly using cards from a set that you wouldn't think of buying, maybe it's time to rethink your buying/playing priorities. Limiting your experience/potential because of prejudice is a bit short-sighted, but then again if it's just casual play then how you have fun is entirely up to you anyway.

tl/dr - play how you want, but don't let it bother you when others play with a wider variety of options

I don't mind mixing Marvel and DC sets. I feel weird using D&D with them. I don't have any Yugioh, but I probably wouldn't mix them in either. If I was playing in a tournament, I'd mix though.

Crazily enough, the only format I haven't really played yet is "set only". I've yet to play only DC or anything like that. I know people play mono-DC/mono-D&D, but have people played mono-YGO or mono-UXM?

EDIT: Not referring to draft.