Thread: Batman- World's Greatest Detective Question

Batman- World's Greatest Detective Question

Relevant Card Text:

While Batman is active, whenever you field a different Justice League character, you gain 1 life.
    Does different mean each individual die other than Batman (so fielding 2 Cyborg dice results in gaining 2 life) or does different mean each unique die not already in the field (so fielding 2 Cyborg results in gaining only 1 life or fielding a Cyborg with a Cyborg in the field from a previous turn results in no life gain)?

Thanks!

The true answer is "When you field a JLA character other than Batman, gain 1 life." Just don't try to field the characters simultaneously to ensure you don't lose an energy with a face. Subtle rules point there but if you spent one of those energy to field character A and another to field character B and thus had to do it at the same time, you'd only get one point, because there is only 1 "when" happening. So, just make sure you're declaring your fielding characters one at a time. (a good rule of thumb anyway)

As for "different", Batman doesn't look to see who is in the field.

It's each time you field a die that isn't Batman but is Justice League affiliated.

Which I think agrees with what Shadowmeld said.

However I don't agree with him on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Just don't try to field the characters simultaneously to ensure you don't lose an energy with a face. Subtle rules point there but if you spent one of those energy to field character A and another to field character B and thus had to do it at the same time, you'd only get one point, because there is only 1 "when" happening. So, just make sure you're declaring your fielding characters one at a time. (a good rule of thumb anyway)
    All that the rules say is that you may pay two fielding costs simultaneously not that you then field the characters simultaneously.

You might be right Scorpion, I do know they ruled that you can interrupt an opponent in between paying costs on your turn with double energy die that can't be spun down. Ring of Magnetism to PXG, for example. If your opponent pays one mask to PXG and you ask him to stop so that you can do something, his second mask is wasted. On the other hand, the PXGs in this instance are still being resolved individually, so I'm now leaning on agreeing with you, Scorpion. You can pay the costs simultaneously, but each individual instance resolves separately.

Yeah, the basis for my understanding of how it works is that all effects, even those that are simultaneous, resolve separately.

The only exception to this seems to be the dealing and resolving of combat damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    You might be right Scorpion, I do know they ruled that you can interrupt an opponent in between paying costs on your turn with double energy die that can't be spun down. Ring of Magnetism to PXG, for example. If your opponent pays one mask to PXG and you ask him to stop so that you can do something, his second mask is wasted. On the other hand, the PXGs in this instance are still being resolved individually, so I'm now leaning on agreeing with you, Scorpion. You can pay the costs simultaneously, but each individual instance resolves separately.
    Question: was this a ruling at Nationals? Because I've been trying to get clarification on this exact issue, and they haven't directly addressed it on their rules forums.

Ugh. I know this was ruled on, and I'm almost positive it was on the rules forum, but for the life off me I just can't find the ruling for it.

On the other hand I found THIS:
    During the main step and attack step, both players can use global abilities. In many cases, global abilities may be used more than once if the cost can be paid multiple times. As with purchasing dice, you can partially spend non-generic energy. Global abilities that are paid for in a batch resolve as a single effect.
    Which shows that Globals resolve simultaneously if paid for simultaneously. However, I think JUST globals do that. Fielding, buying and other effects do not.

However, with PXG there are some caveats to this, and that is likely where the ruling I discovered came from. If you pay for PXG in batch, the dice you used to pay for the batch, can't be moved as part of the batch. So, if you chose to spend side kick mask, a Cerebro or ring mask, then another Cerebro or ring mask, you would be paying all of that as one batch, and thus couldn't use the double mask energy to get that new sidekick. The work around here is to spend the sidekick mask first, allow your opponent to act, then spend the other two masks. Again, very nitty gritty, but it's a rule.

Then.
    In my group we have huge dudes about Batmanīs ability.

-A. Fielding 2 Cyborg dices, 2 lives.
    -B. Fielding 3 Zatannas and Aquaman, 4 lives. Oops.

Is correct?
    Last edited by bartok; 07-14-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Hey, WizKids, resolving things simultaneously is confusing and unintuitive.

Stop making "simultaneous" a thing.