Thread: Can you over pay to field or purchase dice?

Can you over pay to field or purchase dice?

I tried to search but I was told that my search terms are too common.

As the title states, I'm curious if I can over pay for things. A few examples:

A.) I roll 2 generic energy on an action die and all character faces. A 1 fielding cost and 2 sidekicks. Can I pay with the 2 generic energy to field my character?

B.) I roll 2 generic energy on an action die and a fist and a sidekick face and I want to purchase a Black Widow. Am I able to?

C.) I use the Red Dragon Global to reduce the cost of an action, can I spend 2 if that action would now cost 1?

You can spend a portion of generic energy, and any you don't use is wasted. However, you cannot spend multiple dice of energy for now reason. As a side note you can also spend energy in batches to pay for different things. For example you could spend multiple bolts to Magic Missile something down in one big hit. You can also spend 2 generic to field two 1 cost characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    As a side note you can also spend energy in batches to pay for different things. For example you could spend multiple bolts to Magic Missile something down in one big hit. You can also spend 2 generic to field two 1 cost characters.
    This is getting off-topic, but there is some debate over how, or even if, this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    This is getting off-topic, but there is some debate over how, or even if, this works.
    Which part of his quote are you referencing? the MM or the fielding two with one BAC die?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    Which part of his quote are you referencing? the MM or the fielding two with one BAC die?
    All of it. There is some debate over how paying for stuff in batches works in general. Note, not whether you can, how it works. Specifically whether the things paid for resolve as a single event or not. And whether that depends on what you are paying for.

DC Rulebook, pg 24.
    USING GLOBAL ABILITIES
    During the Main Step and Attack step, both players can use Global
    Abilities. In many cases, Global Abilities may be used more than once
    if the cost can be paid multiple times. As with purchasing dice, you can
    partially spend non-generic energy. Global Abilities that are paid for
    in a batch resolve as a single effect
    At least for Globals this is affirmed to be the case. And we already discussed fieldings resolving in an order, even if paid for separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    DC Rulebook, pg 24.

At least for Globals this is affirmed to be the case. And we already discussed fieldings resolving in an order, even if paid for separately.
    As I said, the debate is not over whether you can pay for stuff in a batch. That is not in question.

The question is how they resolve.

And it is not entirely clear.

It is certainly implied by the rules that they all resolve in one go, but take, for example, this ruling here:

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...p=12215#p12215

So this means that if the active player is done taking actions during their Main Step, the inactive player can begin taking actions (from 1 to all possible actions). The active player may ask them to stop and interject an action.
    Example:
    Inactive Player: Uses a global to deal 1 damage to a character. (Ability resolves)
    Inactive Player: Uses a global to deal 1 damage to a character. (Ability resolves)
    Active Player: Uses a global to increase a character's defense by one. (Ability resolves)
    Now, it can be inferred that the global used by the Inactive Player is one that could be paid for in a batch.

So, why list it like that?

Is it simply the case that they used a simplified example for purely illustrative purposes?

Or is there something more fundamental being illustrated here?

It is not clear.

And that is why there is some debate over it.

Let's take a practical example of this:

I am the Active Player and have Nova The Human Rocket in the Field.
    You are the Inactive Player and have Hulk Jade Giant fielded.

I declare an attack with Nova and batch pay 3 bolts to use Magic Missile Global to deal 3 damage to Nova.

First question: How much damage do you, my opponent, take from Nova? 2, because Nova is damaged once? or 6 because he is damaged 3 times?
    Second question: If it is 6, at what point does Hulk Jade Giant's ability trigger?
    Third question: If it is after the first 2 damage is dealt to you, and you choose to KO Nova, do you take any more damage?

Different people will give you different answers to these questions, and have different opinions on how this interaction should play out.

You can point to portions of the rules, and give your interpretation, but it too is opinion.

So, whether you think the debate is valid or not, there is debate, and the situation, thus far, has not been clarified by WizKids.

(and, please note I am not giving you my opinion here, I am just stating that there is debate over this point, and what that debate is)

My opinion, would be that the active player can activate abilities in batches and have them resolve with no interruption from the non active player unless they have a reactionary response such as
    While the non active player can attempt to use multiple activations, but the active player can respond to each one.