Thread: "Targeting a Character" vs. "Naming a Character"

"Targeting a Character" vs. "Naming a Character"

I understand "targeting a character" means that the effect only applies to one die of that character (e.g. When fielded, Hawkeye deals his attack value in damage to a target opposing character. -- only damages one Hulk die; not all). However, the Wizkids ruling on when using Constantine Hellblazer states that you "name a character" and it applies to all dice of that character.

I thought I recalled seeing something regarding the distinction of "targeting" vs. "naming" or "choosing", but cannot locate it. Does anyone remember this or have something they can point me to?

Targeting and choosing are usually similar, but the real difference is if it says character card it means card. When it says name a character, that usually means some portion of its effect is going to affect any dice with that name.

You could look at it this way, Targeting and choosing usually have you pick a card or die, naming has you target a name (that one player controls, not of both player, usually).

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Targeting and choosing are usually similar, but the real difference is if it says character card it means card. When it says name a character, that usually means some portion of its effect is going to affect any dice with that name.

You could look at it this way, Targeting and choosing usually have you pick a card or die, naming has you target a name (that one player controls, not of both player, usually).
    Hellblazer states "While Constantine is active, before your opponent’s Clear and Draw Step, you may name a character. If that character is fielded this turn, ignore its text until end of turn and it cannot attack this turn."

It does not mention card, but Wizkids has ruled it applies to card not a die.

Well, it applies to any die NAMED Constantine.

You're targeting the NAME, because you're NAMING.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Well, it applies to any die NAMED Constantine.

You're targeting the NAME, because you're NAMING.
    Precisely. Has Wizkids ruled on this distinction before?

You're not "targeting a name", you're "naming a character". In this context "character" means "character card". It is not always used that way, however. And it's not always clear which meaning is being used. The card texts are very inconsistent in this respect.

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?search&text=name

Yes, the language is different, but concept is easier to explain than "this time is different, because". In each of the instances that you name a die you either draw a single die from a bag or you are " targeting a name". In the instances where you are targeting a name and not drawing a die, the effect applies to all dice that share that name and belong to the appropriate player.

I just don't agree with this idea that you are "targeting a name" - the target of an effect is the thing that the effect is applied to - Constantine doesn't do anything to the "name" - he does something to the card that has that name (if an associated die is fielded that turn).