Thread: Advice for starting a group

Advice for starting a group

In my area, lots of people buy DM, but very few play OP. I think that's because nobody has taken the lead in setting-up a group. I'm considering becoming that guy. We have three stores that sell DM, all of which have space for tournaments.

Here's where my questions come:

What have you seen work?

What doesn't work?

Would you draw from all three stores and help run tourneys at each or pick one and try to do it there?

What formats draw more people?

Help me out as I try to get things rolling.

Our group is small right now and won't likely grow for a couple months but I think you have some cool opportunities.

First, I think you have to be very, very flexible early regarding mixing sets, generous with prizes, etc. simply to build momentum. Our's has only recently become more competitive after a long time of a more casual play (even though there were tournaments, it was still a lot of folks feeling out their decks).

I do think you may have a really cool opportunity, depending on the relationship amongst the gaming store to where you guys could rotate locations weekly which would draw from all of their customers and get exposure to each business.

We've done unlimited tournaments mainly but I think one of the big reasons for that is because we have some guys that aren't really spenders and so the tournaments where we buy packs would chase some players away.

Ironically I'm listening to TRP podcast #45 right now, and they spend some time talking about this very thing

A lot of it boils down to patience and advertising, getting your name out there, working with the store(s) to promote events. Also at least initially focus more on casual play and demoing, rather than "tournaments" since that will likely scare off your more casual players.

Make sure you focus on fun more than anything else. If it's just a bunch of people getting destroyed, they're not coming back.

Drafting is a lot of fun, and could allow for some different teams. Drafting is what got me into Magic for example. Drafting Dice Masters would be a dream.

Being generous with prizes and also with trading to help people out would be a great deal. Let people play with their favourites.

As for the stores, maybe try rotating between the three. Develop a community and help everyone out. More people on-board, the better.

Interestingly enough, I went to my favorite store yesterday and they are going to start running events, so I'm off the hook. The group that has been pushing for events is most interested in draft, so I'll need to make a quick study of drafting.

Quote Originally Posted by cbone3 View Post
    Interestingly enough, I went to my favorite store yesterday and they are going to start running events, so I'm off the hook. The group that has been pushing for events is most interested in draft, so I'll need to make a quick study of drafting.
    The other thing to consider is that the group needs to give the local store the opportunity to generate revenue off the events so draft is good. Simply having everyone come with cards/dice they already have in their collection does not do much for the store.

geneaber, I have preached for years to younger players (in my Magic days) that buying their box locally and paying $10-$15 more is in their own interest. When stores don't make money from tournament attendees, they don't want to host tournaments. I'm glad you mentioned that!

geneaber, I have preached for years to younger players (in my Magic days) that buying their box locally and paying $10-$15 more is in their own interest. When stores don't make money from tournament attendees, they don't want to host tournaments. I'm glad you mentioned that!
    Completely agree. It's a two way street.

The group that has been pushing for events is most interested in draft, so I'll need to make a quick study of drafting.
    You could start here!

Even if you end up not drafting DC I cover a lot of the principles of drafting in general. TAZ also has some great Drafting coverage on their episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    You could start here!

Even if you end up not drafting DC I cover a lot of the principles of drafting in general. TAZ also has some great Drafting coverage on their episodes.
    Good looking out. It seems that DM draft isn't all that different from Magic. That's a little scary because I tend to overlook characters that aren't constructed-worthy (I did the same in my Magic days). Time to flex my mental draft muscles.

Find the people who are burned out on the cutthroat nature of MtG. I think they would love DM and see the fun that is there while still being very competitive.

Good looking out. It seems that DM draft isn't all that different from Magic. That's a little scary because I tend to overlook characters that aren't constructed-worthy (I did the same in my Magic days). Time to flex my mental draft muscles.
    Dice Masters drafting is way more fun. You know all of the dice available thus all the characters and can plan accordingly. You never know what was in a MtG Pack that was passed to you. Depending on your 8 characters, you might not need more than 1 die per to win. Of course, 4 common Cheetahs never hurt either.