Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zen Bins Homestretch Mini Review

Zen Bins Homestretch Mini Review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0728.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	506
    Bottom Line: You should absolutely back this campaign at least at the $10 level to transport your team to/from events, and to move between tables while at events.

The creators of Zen Bins graciously sent me a complimentary tray and lid after I worked with them on some different ideas for their Kickstarter Campaign. With just under two days left in the campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-storage-cdgs), I wanted to share my thoughts about the product to help people who were on the fence about backing to product to decide. My message to any fence sitters is: back the campaign at least at the lowest level.

I've attached a picture of my Zen Bin (sans my team's dice--too lazy to put them back in). Just one tray and one lid (or two trays with one functioning as a lid) can hold (a) your entire, high-quality sleeved team, plus four action indicator cards on one side (with room to spare), (b) 8 sidekick dice, 12 basic action dice, and twenty dice for your team (with a row to spare), and (c) either a stack of playable basic action cards (for draft) OR (and this hasn't been mentioned previously) an electronic life counter on the other side (life counter is a snug fit, but it works).

I've thrown this at the wall pretty hard, with a full load, and I couldn't get it to break or even pop open. I believe that the limited mass involved would prevent it from accidentally opening absent something truly crazy happening. The produce is light but very secure.

I also took it to an event. I always hate putting all my dice into my bag, or having them fall together on my play mat when I pick it up (totally first world problems, I know...) but it was very easy to put my dice and team back in the tray and move to the next table between rounds.

I am looking forward to the deeper base add-on as well, which will allow me to put my dice bag, rule book, and dissasembled dice tower under my team for events. The creators have also indicated that they will likely do a second campaign (or simply sell retail) all dice trays as well for those of you who aren't interested in a significant number of these original trays for storing your game. But, even if you are in that camp, don't miss the opportunity to get the $10 package in this first campaign for team transport. It'll make your life easier and it is important to support efforts like Zen Bins--the more initiatives like this we have, the healthier the game will be.

Disclaimer: I obviously got this product for free, but it was simply an act of gratitude by Zen Bins and a review was never discussed before I got it. It was my idea alone to post this with no prompting by the creators. I absolutely wouldn't post this if I didn't believe in it!

I have backed the project, but haven't been able to tell what the difference between the the lid and another tray. Help me to understand this Indy Mon.

I'm backing at the Nirvana level right now, but am really interested in the dice only storage to come this summer.

The lid is a flatter version of the tray. Basically, the raised edges/sides are removed for a lower profile and a reduced chance it'll snag on something. They also sent me a second tray. It easily functions as a lid as well. It's really a look/style thing more than anything else. That being said, I totally did the lid add on even though I already have one for free!

Looks like we broke $20k and a free base for all pledges. I encourage everyone to check out the project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-storage-cdgs

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    30 some hours to go. I'm a backer. You should be too. I've had some personal communication with Brian from ZenBins, and I've got to tell you they want to make what users want. I've played with Randy's review bins. They're exactly what you might hope for. I'll be using ZenBins at world's, and hopefully every event thereafter.

Looks great, backed them awhile ago and I am glad the product is turning out to be so good.
    Last edited by Bigred92; 05-21-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Nice, they just hit the 1 Free Base stretch goal. Looking forward to getting these to store teams in.

I back the fellas over at Zen Bins awhile ago and super pumped to get them in the mail! I'm particularly excited for these because right now I'm using other TCG boxes to house all my dice/cards/etc and its just too clunky. I love the fact that you can divvy these up to make separate teams or stack them to carry your entire collection around. The bins look light weight too which is an added bonus! Back em! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!

Thanks for the headsup. I'll do this when I get home today.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    I've thrown this at the wall pretty hard, with a full load, and I couldn't get it to break or even pop open. I believe that the limited mass involved would prevent it from accidentally opening absent something truly crazy happening. The produce is light but very secure.
    Wow - you really did some seriously thorough testing there, didn't you?

On a serious note - I did the $10 reward, but added the bases and lids (and added extras as each free one was unlocked), as well as the smoke option. Especially with the $9 shipping, I think the extras are definitely worth it.

I just received the set that I won from the contest here and I must say it is well worth the small investment. Realistically I do not need to back is as 1 tray is enough to transport a team as well as some extra cards/dice to for trade. That said it is a quality product that I feel deserves my support.

That's awesome to hear. Just a reminder... today is the FINAL DAY of the kickstarter.

I have my pledge in. I also won a lid an base when they were doing the contests on kickstarter. Can't wait to get them. These should be perfect to put the dice and cards I frequently play with so I don't have to pull out all the collector's boxes each time I want to play.

I plan on using these to transport my teams to events. I've backed at the $10 level and will upgrade to the smoke color. I'll probably wait for their all dice solution for a storage solution for my entire collection. I have all my cards in binders so I don't need the card storage.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I plan on using these to transport my teams to events. I've backed at the $10 level and will upgrade to the smoke color. I'll probably wait for their all dice solution for a storage solution for my entire collection. I have all my cards in binders so I don't need the card storage.
    I thought the exact same thing... until I realized how many binders I'm going to aquire for this game. I'm going to have a complete bookshelf dedicated to Dice Masters cards. As cool as that is, I like things to be transportable. I think I will need to seriously look in to a dice/card solution

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I thought the exact same thing... until I realized how many binders I'm going to aquire for this game. I'm going to have a complete bookshelf dedicated to Dice Masters cards. As cool as that is, I like things to be transportable. I think I will need to seriously look in to a dice/card solution
    Right now I have 4 collector's boxes and a binder. I've got all the sets so far except Yugioh. With 3 more scheduled this year to come out, I'm afraid to think about what my collection will look like in a year. My current binder probably has room for AOU. I could easily see myself needing a binder for Marvel, one for DC, and another for other sets.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    Right now I have 4 collector's boxes and a binder. I've got all the sets so far except Yugioh. With 3 more scheduled this year to come out, I'm afraid to think about what my collection will look like in a year. My current binder probably has room for AOU. I could easily see myself needing a binder for Marvel, one for DC, and another for other sets.
    I currently have 3 binders. I have Marvel (AvX and UXM) in one binder, DC Justice League in another, with Yu-Gi-Oh and D&D in the third. With Age of Ultron coming out I'll need to get another binder since I can't put Marvel in the same binder as DC. Plus I'll need room in my DC binder for when War of Light comes out later this year.

I prefer the binder for storage because I like flipping through the pages when team building. I figure that if they ever retire a set, hopefully not for a while, then I'll move that set into a collector's box and free up some binder space.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I currently have 3 binders. I have Marvel (AvX and UXM) in one binder, DC Justice League in another, with Yu-Gi-Oh and D&D in the third. With Age of Ultron coming out I'll need to get another binder since I can't put Marvel in the same binder as DC. Plus I'll need room in my DC binder for when War of Light comes out later this year.

I prefer the binder for storage because I like flipping through the pages when team building. I figure that if they ever retire a set, hopefully not for a while, then I'll move that set into a collector's box and free up some binder space.
    I was using the Ultra-Pro 4 pocket binders (1 per set) for a while. Ended up switching to a 3" Ultra Pro binder with 9 pocket sheets. I like having all the cards in one spot rather than all the small binders.

I've backed this as well. Looking forward to a better storage solution for my teams.

Been waiting to back this while I wait for other people at my store to decide if they want to join me or not. Now my credit card payment still hasnt gone through and my new bank card is still on the way. Why no PayPal, KickStarter?

We just hit another stretch goal, plus 2 more bins for all pledges! And I totally agree about the paypal and KS @alphans , what were you looking to get, I can take a paypal payment from you and buy/ship it to you man. i.e. I am at Nirvana level and can upgrade to Zen master and give you the 9 bins for $20 plus shipping, they charge $9 so send me the funds if interested and I'll hook you up. PM me. I'm planning on getting a color, maybe smoke or purple so that's another $8 for the "Zen Mater pledge" so that'd be like $37 for the base 9 bins and 2 free stretch goals so 11 bins for you. Plus $3 for a lid and/or $8 for a base, not looking to make any money, just want to hook up a fellow TPR'er.

Your review just sold it to me and I backed in the last few minutes. I realized how much of a pain it would be if I ever get events going or head to larger events. I love my storage solution but it's not convenient for actual play...

Thanks for the great review! Can't wait to use these to transport my tournament teams in this. I plan on bringing a stack of 3 or 4 bins so I can trade and store my rainbow draft cards and dice afterwards.