Thread: Article: Reading the Rainbow DC Draft Episode 7 Overcrush

I think that I would go Martian Manhunter and Aquaman, it is nice not to need the extra action to get overcrush. You could also pick up atom later and use his fist to feed Anger Issues global to beef up

I would agree with you, but Cyborg is 4 cost, and can still just swing in for 8, which kills something. I understand your thoughts on Buying MMH but the fact you can buy Cyborg without having to ramp something, or buy him and maintain ramp, is a big deal in DC.

Something else to keep in mind, Cyborg has the same stats as GL, but one is considerably cheaper across the board.

I agree with the choice to pick up Cyborg instead. In one of my recent drafts, I managed to get 15 damage off with lone cyborg swings before my opponent could set up a defense. That hands down won me the game.

The only issue I have found with overcrush in rainbow is wonder woman. Once she and Aquaman are out, I had Cyborg coming in for 15 just like @Necromanticer which was successfully blocked by a single sidekick. She comes up a lot in Rainbow. Overcrush is cool but a secondary in DC I think is important.

That is why Cyborg is so good @Vapedaveb . He also has retaliation! You can choose to swing in with your Aquaman uncommon and ping you opponent for his retaliation damage. Those sidekicks will just chump block you say? You have Anger issues, pump your opponent's sidekicks so they trigger that retaliation!

I was recently the victim of early unblocked swings by cheap characters in a DC Rainbow Draft.

In one instance an opponent swung a level 3 The Atom for 5 damage:

In another game an opponent attacked with a level 3 Vibe for 7 damage:

Both instances were low cost, initial buys, that attacked early for unblocked damage. Although in both instances I was victorious.

My conclusion: Big damage swings need some support to achieve the win. @Necromanticer - did you have another character that supported Cyborg for the win?

@fun4willis I didn't have any support at the time (I swung for the second time around turn 6) because my other purchases were coming up energy. Also, I didn't need a lot of other support since I knew I could rely on That same Vibe and the retaliation chip damage to finish him off once he established himself.

That said, the two early swings did set me up for a counterattack since my field was empty, but he couldn't muster enough damage to pull even. I definitely attribute that win to the incredible damage Cyborg was able to put out for me.

@Shadowmeld , Oh great idea, wish I had thought of that, next time I will be ready!

Atom and Vibe definitely get big, but the fact that they are unaligned leads them to lack that back up you are talking about. If you look at the DC set in fact, characters with higher attack than defense are few and those that are in the set are generally expensive. It would seem that Cyborg hits the sweet spot of affiliated, big attack, less than 5 cost and has a back up ability. He really is a strong versatile pick up because of these qualities. Similar to Firestorm and his affiliated, high defense, direct damage threat, the breadth of draft strategies you can slot him into makes him a great pick. Cheetah is another good choice, being villain, bolt, direct damage and low cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Atom and Vibe definitely get big, but the fact that they are unaligned leads them to lack that back up you are talking about. If you look at the DC set in fact, characters with higher attack than defense are few and those that are in the set are generally expensive. It would seem that Cyborg hits the sweet spot of affiliated, big attack, less than 5 cost and has a back up ability. He really is a strong versatile pick up because of these qualities. Similar to Firestorm and his affiliated, high defense, direct damage threat, the breadth of draft strategies you can slot him into makes him a great pick. Cheetah is another good choice, being villain, bolt, direct damage and low cost.
    Well said. I will not be overlooking Cyborg next time.

I agree. Cyborg is great for his cost. I played last week against an opponent who kept knocking me down with him while building up a wall. I had the Harley Quinn on my team which gave me an early lead but definitely not a game winner.