Thread: Beast - Genetic Expert and Overcrush when at 20 life

Beast - Genetic Expert and Overcrush when at 20 life

Hey there

Pretty obvious question:

If the inactive player is 20 life and Beast is KO'd in combat by a character with damage greater than Beast's defense and Overcrush, what happens?

Does the life gain happen before the life-loss from Overcrush such that no life is gained?

Relevant rulebook quotes:

Damage dealt to a character in excess of its defense has no effect.

Attacking characters that were unblocked (or those with special
    abilities) assign damage to the defending player instead of a character.

That damage will be deducted from the player’s life total. These
    unblocked characters are moved Out of Play, after dealing damage,
    before any other effects resolve other than those that would replace
    damage. They’ll go to the Used Pile during Cleanup.

Once all damage has been assigned, knock out each character that
    took damage greater than or equal to its defense. When a character
    is knocked out, move it to that player’s Prep Area. If game effects are
    generated by a character taking damage or being knocked out, the
    attacking player resolves all effects first, then the defender.
    Overcrush: When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its
    blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.
    I assume that damage is all resolved before KOs and KO-effects are resolved, therefore the player still gains life.

Thanks as always!

Best
    Michael

That makes sense to me. Overcrush is part of assigning damage.

I believe that damage would be assigned and resolved before there would be a "check" to see who had been KO'd and what abilities would fire as a result.

Exactly. All damage resolves before any KOs happen or any other triggers besides preventions and redirects.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    I still don't like that you can't go over 20 health.

And I bet they're gonna stick to it so they don't have to change their mats.

Unless they use it as a way to sell more mats.
    The problem with allowing for more than 20 life is that it breaks certain cards.

Look at

If he could be used to pump your life past 20, you could make an incredible stall team with him and either pings or AoE effects. You could easily pump your life past what your opponent could clear away and then just wait till you had the perfect setup.
    The game is designed around 20 max life and changing that factor is going to heavily unbalance any healing effects. I really don't think it's just to sell mats...

I'd like to see the hard limit at 30. Start at 20 life, capped at 30. So if you want to race to gain life, you can get up to 30. Makes it hard for your opponent to just slowly build their force until they can swing for lethal.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I'd like to see the hard limit at 30. Start at 20 life, capped at 30. So if you want to race to gain life, you can get up to 30. Makes it hard for your opponent to just slowly build their force until they can swing for lethal.
    I like that idea a lot. Not only because I plan to open a Dice Masters Mat store. I'm going to call it Mat Masters.

Hey, Randy. Want to help me open it? We'll call it "Randy and Randy: The Mat Masters".

I say we just shorten the name to "Mat Master Randy" and we just both go by that name.

That's a good idea, Mat Master Randy. That's why you're the man.