Thread: Need Suggestions for Upcoming JL OP

Need Suggestions for Upcoming JL OP

Good morning,

On Saturday, May 30th, my favoritest FLGS is hosting a Justice League Rainbow Draft... but it's a draft with a twist. Each player is allowed to bring one character (with 4 dice) from the JL Starter to build a team around. The character must be selected before drafting begins.

Obviously, the best choice for this is going to be Zatanna - Zatanna Zatara. She fits in any team due to her low cost (3 ) and her ability to ramp. Running a team with her and the Uncommon Red Tornado could get saucy. I would like to, however, be the one person that uses someone different. And, I would like to use someone different successfully.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a different character that I could take to the draft? I don't mind targeting my draft to a specific strategy, and having fun is more important than winning, but I don't want to take a "dud" and not be able to set up a cogent drafting plan.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Outside of Zatanna, I would be tempted, in order, to use:

Deathstroke-Slade Wilson to really be able to put pressure with a character that in a rainbow is VERY tough to remove
    Green Arrow- Oliver Queen to get a guy that can do some consistent direct damage
    Batman- Bruce Wayne to let well-chosen BAC drive your game (this is assuming that you pick your own action cards as well)

Hope that helps, I look forward to hearing your choice as well as the result of your draft. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
    Batman- Bruce Wayne to let well-chosen BAC drive your game (this is assuming that you pick your own action cards as well)
    I DID forget to mention the Basic Action situation. It is going to be limited to only BACs from the Justice League set.

If you plan to go the villain route definitely take Deathstroke: Weapons Master.

I'm curious about his wording when it says "control" instead of "active." Does control mean villain cards on your team in general? If so, this card is very brutal on an all villain team. You could just grab 7 other villains and field Deathstroke for him to do 8 direct damage (ability includes himself). That's crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    If you plan to go the villain route definitely take Deathstroke: Weapons Master.
    That Deathstroke IS awesome... he's just not part of the Starter Set.

I know, I made a mistake and just noticed had him in the wrong slot in my binder.

I'd be tempted to go with BatMan Bruce Wayne and take Anger Issues for one of the Basic Actions. Then hopefully grab a few Robin Boy Wonder dice in the draft. Between Batman and Anger Issues, Robin would attack with +6A and Overcrush. You could even wait and use Anger Issues during the Attack step after blockers were assigned.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I'd be tempted to go with BatMan Bruce Wayne and take Anger Issues for one of the Basic Actions. Then hopefully grab a few Robin Boy Wonder dice in the draft. Between Batman and Anger Issues, Robin would attack with +6A and Overcrush. You could even wait and use Anger Issues during the Attack step after blockers were assigned.
    That is a good idea. I really like Bruce Wayne, and getting some 'Roid Rage Robins in play would be pretty fantastic. Added bonus: I get to use my Batman voice when I attack and block.

I think you've sold me on this course of action. Thank you.

So, here is my plan (I think):

My "bring from home card and dice": Batman - Bruce Wayne
    My "grab at all costs first and before everyone else grabs them": Robin and Aquaman for giant Robins (Robinii?) and Aquamens for cheap Batmens.
    Keep an eye out for: Uncommon Red Tornado to get all swirly in the dice bag
    BACs: Anger Issues and Villainous Pact - global for VP to mini-ramp into some Roid Rage Robins.

You could also look for the Uncommon Robin if you can't get the common for some reason. Unlockable 6 is sometimes better than blockable 9s.

how many people do you think will want to play with Batman and even Superman?
    Why "fight" over available Robin dice?

Most of starter is JL.

so go with this:

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    how many people do you think will want to play with Batman and even Superman?
    Why "fight" over available Robin dice?

Most of starter is JL.

so go with this:
    I'm starting to see the benefits of this. Especially with some Overcrushin' Overcrush.

I can get a few Black Manta, Cheetah, and Sinestro dice to round out a pretty beautiful Villain team.

Any thoughts on Basic Actions if I go that route? Right now I would think Villainous Pact for some mini-ramp, and Anger Issues for... well... you know...

EDIT: Just to ask... how DO you pronounce his name? It IS DarkSIDE, not DarkSEED right? I'm totes not a DC guy (except for the Batman Arkham vidjeo games, obviously).

Played in a JL OP Rainbow draft last night. My plan was to go Overcrush with a couple heavy hitters. Got Vibe and Shazam. Learned an important lesson - Vibe hates me - Out of over 12 times rolling/re-rolling his dice in one game he never rolled a single character die.

This brings me to my advice. Don't plan to reply on just 1 character. Be sure you have a backup plan. You never know when Vibe is going to decide he hates you too.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    EDIT: Just to ask... how DO you pronounce his name? It IS DarkSIDE, not DarkSEED right? I'm totes not a DC guy (except for the Batman Arkham vidjeo games, obviously).
    I've always said DarkSIDE, which would be the correct Germanic pronounciation of his name (second vowel is long - opposite of English). I listened to the DC set review on the podcast and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if they pronounced it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    Any thoughts on Basic Actions if I go that route? Right now I would think Villainous Pact for some mini-ramp, and Anger Issues for... well... you know...
    You really don't want my advice...

But since you asked...
    skip the Anger Issues, cost too much.
    Darkseid doesn't need it to be good...

definitely black manta, and Cheetah, and Sinestro...

but also look for The Atom as fist energy for Sinestros and Darkseids

He's really not as bad as people think. Sure, he's a 1/1 on lvl 1... but that's what his ability is for!

If it's JL only BAC's, then everyone will bring Villainous Pact.
    so you don't need to, bring this:

This will increase your chances for Darkseid being blocked by JL... But don't force yourself to buy it... buy your characters

I personally like:

And if you can get 1 of Green Arrows die cycling through, you can have some fun!!

If anyone thinks that ANY of this is bad advice, please speak up...
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 05-29-2015 at 08:58 PM.

of course, the team that drafts Firestorm bolts (and doesn't use their starter card at all) will win...

Honestly, I'd pick a different Darkseid. I'd take Anti-life. ESPECIALLY if you take Vulnerability. He can ping a player for 1-3 damage OR proc your Vulnerability action die with the attack step, ensuring they are one blocker shorter than they think they are. He's a real bully.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Honestly, I'd pick a different Darkseid. I'd take Anti-life. ESPECIALLY if you take Vulnerability. He can ping a player for 1-3 damage OR proc your Vulnerability action die with the attack step, ensuring they are one blocker shorter than they think they are. He's a real bully.

yes, I've done that "combo" before... it's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I would take something that can help almost any team.

I certainly plan on drafting ol' Uncle Red Tornado if he happens to show up. I still haven't gotten to use him, but I have heard and read enough on TRP that I know his value.

I'm boring. I'd just go with Zatanna. It allows you to chase after Justice League Retribution if you see it.

I went with Martian Manhunter J'onn J'onnz. I'll give a full report on the event later tonight (edit: or tomorrow). It was a blast... we had 11 people show up for Dice Masters.

I was stoked.
    Last edited by OddballNarwhal; 05-30-2015 at 08:40 PM.