Thread: puzzle and jinzo interaction

puzzle and jinzo interaction

So I was rewatching the exhibition match between jimmy and Shawn during nationals n I noticed that when shawn used puzzle he didn't take pay two life with jinzo active. My understanding was that when the puzzle is sent from the field to the used while your opponent has jinzo, that you would have to pay two life. So was that a misplay, or is puzzle not counted as an action dice anymore, or did I just not notice the paying of two life lol

The two life is spent to place it in the field. So if Jinzo is not in the field when you play the puzzle then there is no spending of life. That is what is good about the puzzle if you get it out before Jinzo you take no life to use it.

Based on the errata:

Millennium Puzzle: The Eternal Dungeon
    Continuous. You may move this die to your Used Pile to send one opposing monster to the Used Pile. (You may use this ability when you may play a Global Ability. This die stays fielded until used.)
    Continuous: Actions with Continuous move from the Reserve Pool to the Field Zone when played and can stay there at the end of the turn. Sometimes they’ll send themselves to the Used Pile for an effect whenever you could use a Global Ability.
    I would say that sending the Puzzle to used counts as using it, not placing it in the field.

There's a ruling re cerebral that makes it clear that the trigger is placing the action die and not utilizing a its effect later.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    There's a ruling re cerebral that makes it clear that the trigger is placing the action die and not utilizing a its effect later.
    Hmmm, yeah. The Cerebro/Dr Strange ruling. Forgot about that.

For the sake of consistency it would certainly be nice if the Jinzo/Puzzle interaction were ruled the same way.

I assume someone has posted the question on the rules forum? @zeon20 ?

It's very well established that an action die is only used when its die leaves your reserve pool. It doesn't matter if you're activating its ability from the field, if it was already out, it's not considered used. This is a very important distinction for cards like Millennium Puzzle and any sort of Gear. Gear specifically would break the game if activating their "equip" ability from the field counted as using them since you can activate them all at the start of each turn.