Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman set for 2016?

Batman v Superman set for 2016?

With the Batman v Superman movie scheduled for March 2016, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dice Masters Set to go along with it.

I don't know much about the comic storyline...or if there even was an official one...but I think the movie is just going to be Batman vs Superman...only minor appearances from any other characters. It may not be very thematic to base a whole dice masters set with 36-40 characters on that movie. Not to say they won't do it because movie tie in is free publicity, but it likely wouldn't be the most natural fit.

There is more then enough material to do a single set focused around each of those guys seperatly...so maybe that is the way they will go. I'm personally not a huge superman fan, but I'd love to see a "The Dark Knight" set. Would be fantastic!

Does the whole set have to share that theme? I could see a quarter of the set go that way, with the rest just being full of supporting characters.

Think about the stuff we have seen from Age of Ultron, it isn't movie specific in its characters, it seems to focus a lot more on the comic arc. I could see them calling a set Superman v Batman but bringing in a host of other characters

Really, I'd just like a big Batman set to pick up members of the Batman family that we don't have yet, and new versions of those we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Really, I'd just like a big Batman set to pick up members of the Batman family that we don't have yet, and new versions of those we do.
    I'm with you on that. A Rogue's Gallery subset of villains or a Bat-Family group association would be great. It's a capital idea!

I can't see how they wouldn't. Batman and Spidey have the best Rogues galleries out there, and if they did Spidey I have to imagine that Batman is next

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    I don't know much about the comic storyline...or if there even was an official one...but I think the movie is just going to be Batman vs Superman...only minor appearances from any other characters. It may not be very thematic to base a whole dice masters set with 36-40 characters on that movie. Not to say they won't do it because movie tie in is free publicity, but it likely wouldn't be the most natural fit.

There is more then enough material to do a single set focused around each of those guys seperatly...so maybe that is the way they will go. I'm personally not a huge superman fan, but I'd love to see a "The Dark Knight" set. Would be fantastic!
    This is WizKids. With how they make sets after movies come out based on HeroClix, we are 100% guaranteed to get a Batman vs. Superman Dice Masters set, with most of the cards/dice being characters in movies to come, or fleshing out very minor characters to make a whole set.

Although, I'm not sure how much Dice Masters is going to be copying the format of HeroClix for making sets, it seems to be following it pretty much set for set so far - except for DnD.

Anyone who hasn't played HeroClix should look at some of their sets for inspiration on what might be coming out next. They did a small set based on the classic Batman TV show with only like, 15 or so characters that was really really fun, and I know Dice Masters is different, but I can't help but wonder if we'll start getting like, instead of ~125 card sets, closer to ~75 or even fewer cards in some sets, maybe even some "sets" coming out just as starters.

Hey RJ...the difference i was poking at, is that the title of all superhero sets so far, and even the ones announced but not yet released...they are all somewhat "universes" unto themselves, with many many characters to draw from, with only a smaller percentage of supporting characters that aren't tied directly to the theme.

Even the Age of Ultron movie tie in set, they have all the Avengers in the movie, plus the comic book tie ins from the event with the same name.

With Superman vs Batman...you pretty much have 2 characters, and that is it. Unless there is going to be more in the movie that I am unaware of...all other characters would have to be supporting. A much higher percentage of characters that aren't really tied directly to theme.

Not saying they won't do it...in fact @SlapsterMcFlash just convinced me...I think they will for sure do it. It just won't feel as natural a fit for me, and I'd prefer they didn't do it in favour of something like what @Dave suggests.

Characters that are supposed to make a showing in the Movie

Batman
    Superman
    Aquaman
    Wonder Woman
    Lex Luthor
    Cyborg
    Lois Lane
    Alfred
    The Flash

Throw in a few characters from Batman's world (Riddler, Scarecrow, Bane, Nightwing, etc.) and some from Superman's (Supergirl, Jor-El, General Zod, Bizzaro, etc.) and you're on your way to a set. I could however see them doing just a Batman set. There is just so much content there.

Yeah...fair enough. Looks like a pretty solid line up there.

Although, The inclusion of characters like Lois Lane and Alfred would bug me. Similar to Pepper Pots in the AOU set...and I am anticipating Aunt May or Mary Jane in the Spiderman set too. Those characters are not really ever involved in thematic superhero battles, and are usually a hindrance or an "obligation to resuce from the bad guy" when they do appear on the battle field. If thier ability had a negative effect on your own team, then that would make sense and I'd be on board...hehe

Although, The inclusion of characters like Lois Lane and Alfred would bug me. Similar to Pepper Pots in the AOU set...and I am anticipating Aunt May or Mary Jane in the Spiderman set too. Those characters are not really ever involved in thematic superhero battles, and are usually a hindrance or an "obligation to resuce from the bad guy" when they do appear on the battle field. If thier ability had a negative effect on your own team, then that would make sense and I'd be on board...hehe
    I think Pepper is fine. I like that they are including support characters... I mean, if you are going to have Cap's Shield and Thor's Hammer... why not Iron Man's Secretary? Also, she HAS donned armor before. Then again, so has EVERYONE who has ever been a friend or employee of Tony Stark. That's not the point though.

The Suicide Squad movie is also coming out next year, so they could throw in some of those characters too.

Batman Family Set would just be so good... there are just SO MANY excellent heroes and villains.

WizKids seems to be basically copying the same character format as HeroClix, but in a different game format.

That being said, in HeroClix, small support characters are often the crux of big teams, or still fairly powerful for a low point cost (HeroClix has you build a team up to X-hundred points, usually 300, each character costing anything from 15-1000, with Alfred/supporting types being around 40-75 points, and bigger main threats closer to 150-200 usually), so I expect that in this game as well, there will end up being support characters with powerful support abilities, or at least very usable, that you wouldn't normally have on the field in a comic book superhero battle. It's supposed to be more representative of a full team in general, remember, Professor X even is normally back at the Mansion guiding with his mind, so he's not going to always be on the battlefield either, and WizKids tries to keep pieces thematically helpful. Likewise, Alfred generally has powers that counter an opposing character or boost up a friendly, with sometimes an extra boost to a Batman friendly, and there are even characters like Oracle in the wheelchair who is ALWAYS back at home, who have sort of help everybody type powers as well.

I fully expect to see all manner of character type be represented and be useful in this game in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Batman Family Set would just be so good... there are just SO MANY excellent heroes and villains.
    If you want to get excited, @Dave , look through the units section of hcrealms.com and at the different sets... it seems to be a pretty good indicator of how the Dice Masters sets are going to be, as well. Not character for character, but you get a general gist of how WizKids does things.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm familiar with a few of those sets. Heck, if you only consider the cast of the Arkham games you have a stellar set.

At first I was starting to get put off by the rate of Dice Masters released - but really, at $67 a gravity feed, which I'll end up x2 anyway, it's not all that expensive - especially when compared with the average person's bar tabs every week or whatever.

Now I'm just stoked wondering what new abilities and general other stuff they start coming out with, and wondering why product isn't already released! Especially since this is my more secondary hobby to HeroClix... although it's quickly overtaking it, especially with being able to play in Hangouts. I love that.

It is NOT that expensive at all, especially compared to the MTG hobby. $30 to draft modern masters, and that's if you're ONLY paying for the draft and not prize support. Those things are $200+ a box! Even a single regular booster box in MTG is over $100, and you're not getting the kind of play set there compared to a DM feed.

"Expensive" is a relative term.

For me, and many others, the game is expensive.

For others it is not.

Relative to other games, it's not. Whether or not it's expensive on its own right, that's up to an individual all the time.

It's less expensive for a fictional John Doe than MTG is, even though both may be out of his price range. And that's certainly understandable.

You could do Nothing but by a common and uncommon set for each set and put together very competitive teams.you could spend a few more dollars and get a Handful of rivers that would allow you to be even more competitive. you can grab a set like that for around 25 bucks on eBay.

At 15$ a month for an MMORPG subscription, 150$ every two months is pretty steep, but at 60$ a month far a new console title, that's about average, it really is about the same.