Thread: Wonder Woman - Champion of Themyscira (and other "Buy 'Em Cheaper" cards)

Wonder Woman - Champion of Themyscira (and other "Buy 'Em Cheaper" cards)

Good afternoon,

I ran across this on BGG, and I'm curious which is correct.

With Wonder Woman - Champion of Themyscira, when she is active, do BOTH players get the benefit of the reduced cost to field... or only the player who controls her? Also, related, if both players fielded this WW, would JL characters then cost 2 less to field?

I'm pretty sure that only the controlling player gains the effect, otherwise there would be no point to using her. But, I've been wrong in the past, and wanted to know what everyone else thought.

Both players get the effect, however the effect from multiples don't stack. At least that is my current interpretation. An giving your self a discount that your opponent might not be able to use is not worthless.

I thought that Globals were the only abilities that were open to both players. If every ability that is on every card is available to both players, then why wouldn't a player just use a (usually) cheaper version of a character that has no abilities, then "leech" off of the opponent's cards?

Does Retaliation also work for either player's affiliated characters? So, if I have Aquaman with JL Retaliation, and I KO my opponent's Superman, would I take damage? Or would my opponent be retaliated against for me doing damage to his character?

Globals are the only things open for either player to activate, but an unrestricted buff like this would buff everything. Just as rare Venom buffs ALL characters on his burst face, not just yours. Other cards might just say YOUR Justice League Characters, or YOUR fist characters. These are unrestricted and therefore, that's how they work.

Retaliation is only your characters, that's due to its wording in the rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Globals are the only things open for either player to activate, but an unrestricted buff like this would buff everything. Just as rare Venom buffs ALL characters on his burst face, not just yours. Other cards might just say YOUR Justice League Characters, or YOUR fist characters. These are unrestricted and therefore, that's how they work.

Retaliation is only your characters, that's due to its wording in the rule book.
    Rare Venom only buffs YOUR characters on his burst face, just as he only debuffs your opponent's non- characters. It specifically says so on the card. Please stop trying to confuse me more than I already am.

As to my thought that this discount only applies to your JL characters... whenever a card means both player's cards, it says so. Mystique - Raven Darkholme, Owlbear - Lesser Beast, Trap Hole - Shallow; all three of those specifically say that both players are affected.

Of course, there are some cards that seem like they'd support this take on it. I just don't understand the reason it would or should work that way. This game is constantly surprising and frustrating me.

EDIT: To add this... I'm not arguing to be arguing. I'm just trying to understand what should be a simple, fun game not working the way that I've spent more than a year (at this point) playing. If this card works this way, then there are a lot of people playing it incorrectly. That is very frustrating to me. I do appreciate, again, everyone trying, again, to explain some of these simple concepts to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Sorry wrong example. Don't know what I was thinking.
    You were probably thinking that, even though there are almost 700 Dice Masters cards out now, you could try to explain this another way to a doofus who just isn't getting it. I do appreciate the help, since this is yet another card that myself (and everyone that I've played with) have not been playing correctly.

I had thought the same thing too... but then, after looking at some other "All" cards (including the new OP Scarlet Witch that weakens All Avengers), I think All = All... as strange as it may seem.

If it's targeting a character it only follows that it would be intended for your own.

Affiliation is a bit different and we've seen things noted specifically for those cases - YOUR villains, YOUR characters. In this case without the modifier it must be considered all unless/until a ruling is given that says otherwise.