Thread: "No Fielding Allowed" Combo

"No Fielding Allowed" Combo

I was looking at the Reading the Rainbow article and I noticed a fun interaction between Vibe - Formerly Hardline and Shazam! - Billy Batson. If you combine them, you will be dealing 2 damage to your opponents character whenever they're fielded. I always love interactions like this, so I thought about how I could make that overpowered, with the following setup:

It's expensive and slow to get out, but if you can manage it, you opponent is going to need to have more than 5 defense on their level 2 face or they simply cannot be fielded at all. It is vulnerable to a Hulk bomb, but Constantine - Hellblazer should put an end to that very quickly. Even with Polymorph, you opponent first needs to get a sidekick on the field, so they're going to have major issues dealing with this core set of characters.

That all said, this really is just a gimmick. It's far to slow to be used competitively, but it's a fun little setup that will leave your opponent pulling out their hair in frustration.

Woah, are you trying to make Shazam! viable-ish? You're one brave soul.

That being said, that combo looks like it would be so annoying to play against. Use that in a doubles match sometime.

i love combos like that, sadly they usually are too hard to pull off. that's a lot of energy needed to make it happen. but yeah, get them all out and your opponent will have a hard time fielding just about anything.

Oh yeah, it is just ridiculous when it comes to energy, but it's a really fun concept. You could bring the starter Red Eyes Black Dragon to reduce their purchasing cost by 2 each and thrown in the common Firestorm for some direct damage, but it's still very conditional. Nonetheless, I love these sorts of fun interactions and I'll be damned if I let practicality get in my way.

haha, practicality be damned! we test out these fun types of interactions at our flgs. i'll add this one to the list.

or
    are possible inclusions to keep them down and out. I'll agree with @RJRETRO that it wouldn't be very fun to play against.

I noticed that same interaction a week or so ago and tried building a team around it. If you add these guys...I was calling it Spinning Bolts, since Vibe is the key lynch pin and he is a bolt, Green Arrow is a bolt, and Shazam should be a bolt (Come on Wizkids...there is lightning on his card and his die character symbol is a bolt)

I didn't have success with it when I tried it...as it was stil a very slow team as you mention. I like the Cyclops add you suggested there though, since that continues the Bolt theme. I think there is some potential here, and it is definitely fun to play...
    Last edited by Meatman; 05-26-2015 at 06:24 AM.

Question though...let's say my opponent has a die that starts the turn at level 3 and has 3/5/7 defense. I have Vibe active. It is my turn and I roll both a focus power die and a Green Arrow die.

I spin that opposing die down once with Focus Power, Vibe does 2 damage, so that die is now at 3 defense left on his level 2 face. I then field Green Arrow and spin down the same die and Vibe does damage again.

Does the 2 damage I did earlier carry over so now that die is on level 1 with a 3 defense and 4 damage, that die is knocked out? Or...does the act of spinning down reset the defense value and only the most recent damage from Vibe would apply...leaving the die with 1 Defense left on his level 1 face?

Yup, just like @Scorpion0x17 said, all the damage remains until the end of the turn. Even if you level them up and down, the damage stacks independently of the level of the character. As such, the character would die since it only has 3 defense at level 1, but it has taken 4 damage from vibe by spinning down twice.

Very good. That is where my head was at too, just wanted a second opinion before debating further with my comrade.

I like this spinning team...especially the Vibe, Shazam, Green Arrow combo. Add Cyclops to that for some extra gravy, and maybe even common Firestorm to capatilize on all the bolts.

I think it is still a little on the expensive side though...making it a bit too slow.

I like the idea of the Shazam/Vibe combo. With the addition of AOU and WOL, any suggestions on new ways/cards to help speed up this combo?

Will Green Dragon ever arise on spin down teams? Or the 4 cost vampire?

Put in Red Skull: "Hail Hydra!" to really annoy players by having them choose between spinning down all their team or spinning up all yours every time you field a character.

Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    Put in Red Skull: "Hail Hydra!" to really annoy players by having them choose between spinning down all their team or spinning up all yours every time you field a character.
    That's only for villains

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    I was looking at the Reading the Rainbow article and I noticed a fun interaction between Vibe - Formerly Hardline and Shazam! - Billy Batson. If you combine them, you will be dealing 2 damage to your opponents character whenever they're fielded. I always love interactions like this, so I thought about how I could make that overpowered, with the following setup:

It's expensive and slow to get out, but if you can manage it, you opponent is going to need to have more than 5 defense on their level 2 face or they simply cannot be fielded at all. It is vulnerable to a Hulk bomb, but Constantine - Hellblazer should put an end to that very quickly. Even with Polymorph, you opponent first needs to get a sidekick on the field, so they're going to have major issues dealing with this core set of characters.

That all said, this really is just a gimmick. It's far to slow to be used competitively, but it's a fun little setup that will leave your opponent pulling out their hair in frustration.
    Why not replace shazam with rare pepper potts? She spins 2 characters down one level, and if you have field leader out, that's six damage right there!

Quote Originally Posted by atom View Post
    Why not replace shazam with rare pepper potts? She spins 2 characters down one level, and if you have field leader out, that's six damage right there!
    Because the goal was to make it impossible for my opponent to field a character. It wasn't a regular spin down team, it was an anti-fielding combo.

If I wanted to revisit the setup, I'd cut out Vibe and Shazam! and use Venom Angelo Fortunato instead. It's not as effective against fist characters, but they are usually weak anyway and that combo kills off anything with 4 or less defense even if they come out on level 1.

If I wanted to improve this combo, I'd instead knock off Shazam and Manticore, but I'd bring in the rare Pepper Pots, the vanilla Iron Man, and the rare Miri Riam. Miri Riam can spin characters up or down for 3 damage if they don't have any lanterns active and Pepper Pots with the full setup would deal 5 damage to 2 targets while spinning them down. It's all rather expensive, but I like it and I think it has a decent chance of working out.

this combo seems devastating to play against! it may be a bit slow but if you have perfect ramp then it is possible!

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    That's only for villains
    Nobody has yet to talk about using characters to take out the player. Filling the rest of the team with villains like C or R Cheetah, or my C Ultron Drone and U Harley Quinn combo to work off Red Skull solves that problem.

The Ultron Drone mob/Harley Quinn combo is tons of fun to play. I won all my games except the one using it.*

R Cheetah would be there for clean up if any die happens to survive the combo. Also give her Hulk Out to make her like the C version to combo with Cyclops.

* Time ran out and I attacked with everybody to get his damage much lower than mine and lost my Joker, who was stopping his unblockable Thanos from being fielded. Since there's a dumb rule allowing the player, who went second get an equal amount to turns after time is up, he happened to pull and get Thanos out to steal the win from me.

Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    Nobody has yet to talk about using characters to take out the player. Filling the rest of the team with villains like C or R Cheetah, or my C Ultron Drone and U Harley Quinn combo to work off Red Skull solves that problem.

The Ultron Drone mob/Harley Quinn combo is tons of fun to play. I won all my games except the one using it.*

R Cheetah would be there for clean up if any die happens to survive the combo. Also give her Hulk Out to make her like the C version to combo with Cyclops.

* Time ran out and I attacked with everybody to get his damage much lower than mine and lost my Joker, who was stopping his unblockable Thanos from being fielded. Since there's a dumb rule allowing the player, who went second get an equal amount to turns after time is up, he happened to pull and get Thanos out to steal the win from me.
    ......what does any of that have to do with Necromanticers team?