Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Team Will Win Worlds?

What Team Will Win Worlds?

Title says it all. origins is next week. I know people don't want to share their team, but I figure this is different and vague enough to solicit meaningful responses:

What type of team will win it all next week? And why?

I'm looking for something like "bolts," "villains," "patch," or "formerly weapon x" (i.e., a general category of the team) and not "whatever Walsh or JT is driving" or "something that is able to control while keeping the pressure on." Specificity! Looking forward to the discussion

Can't tell you, because it's a huge secret.

I will give you a hint. Magic Helmet.

...is not on the team.

I'm curious to see what you can bring forward though! If I was going to Worlds, I would probably try some sort of an Avengers team. Actually, probably High Hopes. I know it's not the best team, but I'd have a blast with it.

Gotta take the best deck for YOU because short of someone finding something that everyone else is missing (which is possible) there seem to be several options, each of which is great against most of the others and week against a few. We may be at a point where you just have to play for the highest equity you can in a match and hope it's enough to win. This is common in other CCGs so it's not a bad thing here.

Further, this is an "any given Sunday" scenario right now. Everything's best of one at present. So you could just have a bad string and that's that, or get everything and win it all. This is why correctly evaluating tournament results is so difficult, because there might be something killer that didn't get rolls and therefore didn't make the cut. Case in point: I top 8 at nats, Randy doesn't with the same team. I 5-0 DC draft at my store, Lauren goes 1-2 with mostly the same team. So while I want to achieve as highly as possible, I also need to keep the ROTty out of my head and remember that I really just want to have fun. This isn't trying to hedge my bets. I believe that what I'm taking gives me the best chance. At the same time it's also not 100% in my hands, as the dice have to leave my hands and strike the table and then who knows?

Maybe the fact that anything can happen is what keeps the community so generally nice and not cutthroat.

In line with other comments here, my prediction is Johnny Blaze.

I predict kobolds will swarm every match and no one will be able to tell whose kobolds are whose.

I also predict my team will win Worlds... too bad I'm not going to Origins.

I definitely think that Bolts are going to be a powerful force in Worlds. Whether they managed to beat out some of the faster setups is up in the air, but I will be watching intently.

Also, I suspect that Hulk is going to lose a lot of his former power against Constantine with either Psylocke or Millenium Puzzle to counter him.

@Necromanticer , I think you will see lot of hulk, and he will still be powerful and on the winning team. However I think Psylocke suffers from Constantine. I say that we will see less of Storm, Loki and Gobby. I think FTW will be in top 8, however I do not think he will be on the winning team. I think Necromanticer is going somewhere with the bolt team. I am guessing Possibly Firestorm/Johnny Storm teams being big.

I think bolts just aren't good enough. I think Hulk is going to prove to be the undisputed best of the best in the meta. The thing is Constantine does actual nothing against Hulk unless you've got another counter too (like... Hulk) since they can just wait 'til your turn to use Hulk anyway. Basically it comes down to who can field both a Hulk and a Constantine in the same turn. I think a flexi-wincons build will end up winning since by packing multiple ways to win plays around Constantine while also allowing you to also pack the best bombs in the format. What I expect to see is something like Patch, Hulk, Nova, and Wolverine all in the same build and just picking and choosing the best way to win for any given scenario. Your other slots would be like PXG, 2C4W, a 2 drop (I think both Tsarina and Constantine are viable)and then some utility thing. I also don't expect to see much Jinzo because most of the time you'll just take 2 and kill it with Hulk making it just a really expensive immediate power bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    The thing is Constantine does actual nothing against Hulk unless you've got another counter too (like... Hulk) since they can just wait 'til your turn to use Hulk anyway. Basically it comes down to who can field both a Hulk and a Constantine in the same turn.
    That's just it though, with any sort of real removal such as the popular Kwannon the Assassin or Millennium Puzzle, Hulk never has a chance to be pinged since the active player is allowed to act first. Also, it doesn't matter how many win conditions you bring unless you actually purchase multiple of them. The thing about Constantine is that he can react at a moments notice and shut down whatever character you know is coming up in their bag. Even if they have 2 win conditions bagged simultaneously, you still have a 50/50 shot of shutting it down and then stopping the right win condition next turn. It's because of this that I think Bolts are going to be so strong. They don't rely on when fielded effects, but rather while active, when attacking, or when another character is fielded effects. Yes they're slower, but with the right Constantine setup, they can heavily control the field and make sure your opponent has difficulties making their win condition work.

@Scum , I think Jinzo is viable, but not as a win condition but more as support of the win condition. Yes he can be hulked, but it will cost 2 to 4 life to kill him (depending on GG or JG). I also think that multiple win conditions have often been in the meta Tsarina/FWT, Storm/Johnny. I think that Constantine has the ability to increase control of the board. Allowing slightly slower teams like Bolt teams to work more effectively. I have been running a Hulk/Jinzo/Nova team, it have been extremely successful. I would have loved to bring it to origins. But again these are just guesses. @Necromanticer , while I agree with you on the Millennium Puzzle as good removal, I am again saying that Psylocke is not as effective anymore. Constantine can stop her, and we are talking about slowing ramp with her, if the other person hasn't already removed her text. I think the Puzzle is going to be seen a lot, and is the best removal in the game right now. I hope to be shocked but, I put more money that it will be a strong aggro team that will win Origins, not slow control.

PXG will win Worlds. Either someone will use him best, or keep others from using him. It feels like this will be a who's who of good solid characters. Tsarina, Hellblazer, Gobby, Kwannon, Johnny Storm, Blue-Eyes, Hulk, Mutate 666.
    Wish I was going, but I'm not sure what I would play. I just know that I would have a blast playing.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    2C4W???
    I believe that's a reference to Iceman - Too Cool For Words

Is Hellblazer the only DC character card we will see at worlds?

I like to think Firestorm's common has a shot and maybe uncommon Black Manta.

I think Firestorm with Johnny Storm will make an appearance, I also think that Cheetah cursed archaeologist may also be seen.

To be honest, I just want the person that has designed the most flexible deck piloted in the correct way to win. Hopefully it's something that innovates again and shows there is more than just the standard set of cards. I already liked the way US Nationals was quite diverse in decks, except for top 8(still more than it was with just AvX, but that's logical with 4 sets instead of 1).

A certain degree of innovation must happen every so many months to keep it interesting in top tier Dice Masters. The time between US and Canadian Nationals was too short, but Worlds is about 2 months later so I have 'High Hopes'(hah the pun! xD)

My bet is that we still see the "AVX + PXG" meta emerge victorious. Hellblazer may make an appearance, and perhaps a few other DC or D&D cards, but they will just be support characters and not part of the core mechanic on a championship team.

While I think the sets released this year are alot of fun unto themselves...especially DC...I don't think there is truely anything fast enough to compete with the Meta game that saw at the Nationals tourneys.

Although...I hope I am wrong...

The winning team will not have Gobby, but will have Constantine...

The winning team will have Storm, Lady Liberator.

Well... it would if I were competing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    My bet is that we still see the "AVX + PXG" meta emerge victorious. Hellblazer may make an appearance, and perhaps a few other DC or D&D cards, but they will just be support characters and not part of the core mechanic on a championship team.
    I am expecting to see quite a few more control based teams, using things like Toad Tongue Lashing, or Black Manta David / Deep Sea Deviant, which have their cards more evenly distributed amongst the sets. I feel like there is still a lot of unexplored combos with the YGO BACs and D&D Monsters. I would expect Hellblazer to have a huge presence since he alone shuts down when fielded teams.