Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Prep Area Podcast 02: Black & Blue

Hey guys fun teams. Just wanted to add something, Blade Knight Solo act is better than overcrush. Overcrush only takes effect if the opponents character is KO'd. So we have seen in the Justice league the use of Wonder Woman and her invulnerable sidekicks which stops overcrush. This is not the case with Blade Knight, you cannot chump block him because even if the chump blocker lives the damage gets threw. Not trying to nit pick, but wanted to further show benefit of Blade Knight Solo Act because he is a damn good card, and excellent pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapedaveb View Post
    Hey guys fun teams. Just wanted to add something, Blade Knight Solo act is better than overcrush. Overcrush only takes effect if the opponents character is KO'd. So we have seen in the Justice league the use of Wonder Woman and her invulnerable sidekicks which stops overcrush. This is not the case with Blade Knight, you cannot chump block him because even if the chump blocker lives the damage gets threw. Not trying to nit pick, but wanted to further show benefit of Blade Knight Solo Act because he is a damn good card, and excellent pick.
    Eh, actually that's not the case. If you check the wording, it's the same as Thrown Car which also grants overcrush. The issue here is that both of these cards were printed before the overcrush keyword was finalized; however, they still function identically. As such, you can't assign damage to an opponent's life until you have knocked out each and every blocker, which is impossible if you're blocked by an invincible chump blocker like Zombie - Greater Undead (with a shield payed) or a Wonder Woman buffed sidekick.

What a lovely pair of teams! I can't help but laugh at the similarities between teams I've been working on and both of the teams featured here. That said, I have a few ideas on how I'd run them differently as well.

With any team that's trying to manage overcrush, you're going to need a way around Distraction. It's simply too easy to pay a mask and completely nullify a character for an entire turn, especially if the defender has characters that will benefit from engaging without fighting like Beast or Black Widow. The best options for this are either Doomcaliber Knight, though he makes Cone of Cold unusable, or Ring of Magnetism placed on an opponent's character, which is surprisingly effective even without Lord of D. Another issue I have is the inclusion of Blade Knight. I think that Blade Knight simply costs too much for what it offers. You're spending a pretty high amount of energy fielding him for very shallow returns and this will also leave your field open to counterattacks. Instead, I'd bring along Breaker the Magical Warrior - Mystical Magus. His purchase cost is the same, but his fielding cost is much less, his stats are highly competitive, and he fits perfectly with the idea of having less characters fielded than your opponent. He's going to make sure you have extra dice to ramp up to your big hitters and not have to worry about burning yourself out trying to manage a force of Blade Knights.

As for the Black team, I'm actually quite stunned by how well it synergizes. That Toad really pulls the whole team together and makes you a force to be reckoned with. The only thing I'd really mess with is removing Marvel Girl in lieu of the Green Dragon - Master Dragon. Your one weakness is lack of aggression and the breath weapon of the Green Dragon is going to handle that in fine style. Not only is it cheaper to field, but you can redirect that energy savings into activating a breath weapon that's going to have more than double the effect of Marvel Girl being fielded.

As for this "New Meta" you spoke of for an online league, what exactly would this entail? I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of crafting teams for a restricted setting, so I'm eager to hear more about this proposition. Great Episode as always and I'll be sure to steal more of your future ideas as well!

Go team black. I was also trying to figure out a team to use with the rare vibe. Good use of black widow natural.

You are absolutely right in most of these examples Necro. I personally still like the Blade Knight for the Early aggression he provides, but without some distraction protection, I agree he is an issue. Perhaps we should be adding Human Paladin to this deck. However, if my opponent isn't running distraction, swinging turn three with a 4 attack over crusher and the ability to pump him with cone of cold could make a sizable chunk in my opponent's health. It might leave us open for reprisal, but that is all a matter of knowing the combat math. Remember, if we don't have any blockers they don't get any pumps and we can keep trading our big bruiser swings against their less aggressive attacks. It is a blitz team maneuver for sure, but one would be surprised how many opponents aren't prepared for that sort of aggression.

Oh definitely. Hulk out's cheap cost more than makes up for its +1 ability. I'll have to analyze it more economy wise but with out Red/thousand dragon, 2 cost BACs are the ideal.

Going over the WizKids rules forum again and I don't see anything that makes Thrown Car have the Overcrush ruling where the defender need's to be KO'ed. Also you don't "need" to KO the defender just remove him from combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Oh definitely. Hulk out's cheap cost more than makes up for its +1 ability. I'll have to analyze it more economy wise but with out Red/thousand dragon, 2 cost BACs are the ideal.
    Why would that make 2-cost BAC's ideal? The Dragon abilities can't reduce the cost of actions past 1, so you're still paying a full 2-energy for it. I'd much rather see a 3-cost overcrush BAC that was reliable unlike Horn of Unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Why would that make 2-cost BAC's ideal? The Dragon abilities can't reduce the cost of actions past 1, so you're still paying a full 2-energy for it. I'd much rather see a 3-cost overcrush BAC that was reliable unlike Horn of Unicorn.
    For 1 point of free damage?

Quote Originally Posted by alphans View Post
    For 1 point of free damage?
    Sure you're getting one point of free damage, but with a 3-cost action you're getting the same thing and actually saving energy. With 2-cost action, you don't actually save anything so your ostensibly getting less value for your energy. It's possible that the cards are poorly balanced, but generally 3-cost actions will be stronger than 2-cost actions, which both cost the exact same using a Dragon Global.

I said Without the dragon 2 costs are ideal. With the dragon, 3=2.

I said Without the dragon 2 costs are ideal. With the dragon, 3=2.
    It's funny how I completely missed that. Ignore me then

Another great episode. My only complaint is that it's not weekly.

Hey, if you love my voice that much, make a post in the "What would you add to the TRP" thread. The one found here

Lol, thank you sir! Now I just gotta hope the boss sees it. Right @Dave ? :P

So? No Challenges? Give me something you want to see on TPA!

I know you can see the potential here, especially with the popularity of villains these days and villain fixing like Iron Man.

If you don't think Mjolnir is quite usable enough, instead do something with

Yu-Gi-Oh is often overlooked as a set and with overcrush more popular than ever, Gaia is actually in a very strong place. Not only does he have very good stats/costs, he also brings a lot of damage potential even if he's blocked.

*drops mic*

Life gain

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    Life gain
    The problem with life gain as a theme, is that no matter how efficient you are at it, competetive teams are still just building for that turn where they can swing for 20 damage. So what if you find a way to gain 5 life every turn? You can still lose in one attack.

*picks mic up and hands it back to DigitialFirefly*

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    The problem with life gain as a theme, is that no matter how efficient you are at it, competitive teams are still just building for that turn where they can swing for 20 damage. So what if you find a way to gain 5 life every turn? You can still lose in one attack.
    On the other hand, what if we found a way to generate life to pay for things. That might make life gain worth the cost. Lemme look into life gain.

As for Vixen, isn't there already a use for her? Could have sworn there was.

And Mjolnir I posted a thread about Tools deck. But for that specific Mjolnir, I'm thinking I'm going to wait till AoU comes out... and probably let Dave handle that one, since he's already got a deck designed around it, Right @Dave ?