Thread: Maria Hill - Avengers Liaison

Maria Hill - Avengers Liaison

Maria Hill
    Avengers Liaison
    When this character die and a character die go to your Used Pile at the same time, put both into your Prep Area instead.
    I find Maria's ability to be quite interesting. I think it is important to remember that unblocked attackers go Out of Play and not directly to the used pile.

Attack Step - Assign Damage:
    Unblocked characters are moved Out of Play after dealing damage, before any other effects resolve other than those that would replace damage. They’ll go to the Used Pile during Cleanup.
    Clean Up Step:
    The turn ends. Move all of your dice from your Out of Play Zone to your Used Pile.
    It would seem that Maria's ability would most likely trigger during the Clean Up step when the dice are moved from Out of Play to the Used Pile. At this time if her character die is moved to the Used Pile along with a character die, then those dice would go to Prep area instead. I don't believe it matters where those dice came from, the reserve pool or the field, but that they are moving to the Used Pile together.

If this is true, then her ability may be an interesting way to ramp. Purchase a Maria Hill and a Constantine (or other character). Roll these two as energy to purchase another die. Since both character dice move from Out of Play to the Used Pile at the same time they would go to the Prep Area instead.

Me thinks this is going to get ruled to not work that way.

Me thinks that there is likely no way really simple explanation on how they want this to work.

I keep walking through it, and I can't find any other reasonable way to read this ability.

I thought it was intended to be a, "if unblocked prep them" ability, but as phish just pointed out, even those go to transition.

I will say, if this is how this works, then this competes very effectively against PXG on a shield only team.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I thought it was intended to be a, "if unblocked prep them" ability, but as phish just pointed out, even those go to transition.
    I think that is how it will get ruled and errata'd.

I suspect this is another case of fallout from transit/OoP having been removed from the rules and then put back in.

It takes several months for this stuff to be designed and play tested, probably several months for cards to be finalised, and several more for them to be manufactured.

So, this card text was probably written and then edited at least 8 months ago.

I've submitted two questions to the Wizkids Rules Forum:

If two Maria Hill dice go to the Used Pile at the same time, do they go to Prep Area instead?

Does Maria's ability trigger when her die rolls energy and is used to purchase a die? For example, if I roll Maria Hill as double [Shield] along with Constantine as double Shield and purchase a 4 cost die, those two character dice go Out of Play. At the end of my turn both character dice move from Out of Play to the Used Pile. Would these dice then be moved to the Prep Area instead?
    Hopefully it won't be too long until they respond.

Until an errata hits though, she will most definitely not work that way. The way she interacts with the rules are pretty apparent with the current wording.

I mean we can all assume Star Lord is also meant to be a fist character on every version,but one of them most definitely has a shield icon. We all know vixen was meant to be a 2 cost character, but we pay 4 still. We can all Assume Thanks doesn't need to be active for his counter generating ability to trigger. The list goes on.

I'm inclined to think that the way pish has proposed would be legal based on how it's worded. How often do we see an effect for a "character die" referenced in an ability? I would think if this were an unblocked-then-prep ability it would read "If Maria Hill and another character..." without the inclusion of the word "die", or simply would actually state they need to be unblocked. For that matter, there aren't many ways two characters would leave the field to the used pile at the same time, let alone one at a time.

Actually, character die is the norm for AoU. Wiz Kids appears to be learning about rules clarity. When an ability is referencing a specific die it AoU it appears to be spelled out. When they are talking about different characters, they say that, and I can not recall if they make a name or card call out in anything already spoiled.

Rulebook says you need to look at what face is up to determine what kind of die it is (character or energy). If an energy face is up, it's an energy die. If a character face is up, it's a character die. So this card specifically seems to refer to it being a character (i.e. unblocked, going from Transition Zone to Used).

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Rulebook says you need to look at what face is up to determine what kind of die it is (character or energy). If an energy face is up, it's an energy die. If a character face is up, it's a character die. So this card specifically seems to refer to it being a character (i.e. unblocked, going from Transition Zone to Used).
    http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...ter+die#p14173

Quote Originally Posted by WKRULESTEAM
    As they exist before they are in play (i.e., in your dice bag), there are three types of dice: action dice, character dice, and sidekick dice.

Rolled dice in the field or in your Reserve Pool are considered to be whatever their face is. If you have a Sidekick Die in the Reserve Pool showing energy, then it’s an energy die. If you have a Sidekick showing the character face in your field, then it’s a character die.

Dice in your Used Pile, Prep Area, and bag are not considered rolled dice. Their dice type is either character or action, based on what faces they have. Dice always know what team they’re on, if they’re Avengers, or Villains etc.
    I would think that dice that are Out of Play would also not be considered rolled dice. Therefore dice moving from Out of Play to the Used Pile would be either character or action dice.

Rolled dice in the field or in your Reserve Pool are considered to be
    whatever their face is. If you have a Sidekick Die in the Reserve Pool
    showing energy, then it’s an energy die. If you have a Sidekick showing
    the character face in your field, then it’s a character die.
    Dice in your Used Pile, Prep Area, and bag are not considered rolled
    dice. Their dice type is either character or action, based on what faces
    they have. Dice always know what team they’re on, if they’re Avengers,
    or Villains etc.
    This is the section I was referring to. They specify this to be a character die. It's obviously not an action die, so the only other possibility would be an energy die (in the Prep area - rolled energy). So it has to be a die on its character face, coming from the field.

There is no way this goes anyway but the "unblocked" version. Imagine on turn 1 buying Maria Hill and a two cost shield (Angel- Soaring). The rulebook specifically states that you may simultaneously purchase dice. Where do purchased dice go? Used pile. Move them to the prep area and now they are immediately available for next turn, where you could field and attack or roll them for energy, spend them, move to transit, and then eventually to the used pile. Now available again in the prep area for next turn.

Pair that with PXG ramp on Turn 1 (two cost something, save 2 masks), on turn two you could use the same formula to purchase Maria Hill and a 5-cost shield, who are immediately available to roll. Certainly would shift the meta though...

not sure this shift is any different than the one PXG brought to the game, but yeah BIG DEAL. I do like the balance that the "character dice" aspect that was brought up brings forth. Basically if she's spent as energy, she wouldn't get prepped. If she leaves the field at the same time as something else and the both go to the used, THEN they would get prepped. This situational ability is more along the lines of balance for a 2 cost common card. Now, are there any ways to send your own characters to the Used pile so you can constantly prep her and a shield character with a when fielded effect? Say, the new Trinity War OP Constantine!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    not sure this shift is any different than the one PXG brought to the game, but yeah BIG DEAL. I do like the balance that the "character dice" aspect that was brought up brings forth. Basically if she's spent as energy, she wouldn't get prepped. If she leaves the field at the same time as something else and the both go to the used, THEN they would get prepped. This situational ability is more along the lines of balance for a 2 cost common card. Now, are there any ways to send your own characters to the Used pile so you can constantly prep her and a shield character with a when fielded effect? Say, the new Trinity War OP Constantine!
    Totally agree with this take, especially given the two cost. Imagine the following scenario if it were allowed to work when being spent as energy:

Turn 1: Buy 2 Maria Hill dice, both move to prep.
    Turn 2: Roll six dice, get both Maria dice on energy, buy two more Maria dice. All Maria dice move to prep. PXG if available.
    Turn 3: You are now rolling at least 8 dice (four with double energy available), possibly more depending on your PXG. Unblockable Thanos is suddenly in range early in the game state. And you can thin your bag in two ways. Heck you could even bring along Silver Surfer to try and guarantee Thanos rolls next turn (or it might just happen depending on your Maria rolls and PXG ability).

While this scenario is the "perfect roll" situation, the combination of both this ramp and PXG allows you to adapt if it didn't quite go your way. It just seems too much. Here's to hoping the energy die vs. character die interpretation is the one that is ruled.