Thread: Sucker Punch

Sucker Punch

There are 3 characters in the game that have an ability that I think is really cool: this character deals its damage first. It doesn't have a keyword, but in MTG it's called "First Strike". For comic book theme, I like "Sucker Punch".

Many of the characters that should have sucker punch, simply deal damage when fielded or attacking. Which clearly overshadows these three. But hey, these cards were made for people like me. So, let's get to it...

I like Hawkeye and Cheetah. For the same cost, Hawkeye has a better die. But, Cheetah is a villain, so I'm going with her.

On her own, she just doesn't pack a big enough punch to do any good. So she needs some help:

If opponent is also playing villains, may not purchase. But global is hopefully still more useful to Cheetah...

+2A... Yes!
    EDIT: You 'may not' want to play this????
    (thanks a lot shadowmeld.... you just gotta ruin all the fun, don't ya?)

This should also be more beneficial to me than my opponent, as long as I have a hefty Cheetah to block with...

Helpful if Cheetah and extra 's are not enough to get the job done...

So, originally I had plans for this to be an aggressive team with some blocker control. But then I listened to The Prep Area podcast today, and they used this guy for Attacker Control:

Fits right in, and I would probably buy Toad over Sinestro...

And since we are fighting "dirty", might as well finish unfair:

Just for the global

Now all we need is some (synergetic) ramp/energy for globals:

And of course this dude:

Now there are PLENTY of ways to counter Cheetah (just glance through your BAC globals), but... Oh well, what can you do????
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 05-26-2015 at 02:47 PM.

The easiest way to counter cheetah is to pay a mask and use Magneto's global to reroll her. Since I'll be saving masks for PXG, you can count on my waiting to pay the mask until after you choose your target for anger issues, that's what I call a 2 for 1 baby!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    The easiest way to counter cheetah is to pay a mask and use Magneto's global to reroll her. Since I'll be saving masks for PXG, you can count on my waiting to pay the mask until after you choose your target for anger issues, that's what I call a 2 for 1 baby!!!!!
    Oh geez, how stupid!!!
    OK, Magneto is out!!!

Or, I'll just grab a sharpie....

Hey, I have 's too... And besides, if you want to spend your PXG 's on "leveling up" my Cheetah, I'll let you!!!
    HAHAHAHA

note to self, add Lord of D Ring...

If one of those rolls lands on energy you can spend a mask to reroll it, but if they use that global in the attack step you won't be able to refield her, and she won't still be attacking.

true... but your still losing a 1X PXG...

If I really wanted to make "Sucker Punch" work, I think I'd choose Hawkeye instead. Not only does he have a cheaper fielding cost and more stats, but he's an Avenger! That means I'll finally have a reason to use Nick Fury - WWII Veteran. Now I want to make the most use out of that, so I'll throw in Black Widow - Killer Instinct. You may consider Tsarina, but Killer Instinct allows you to force a character to level 1 whenever fielded, meaning that it's almost guaranteed to die to the buffed Hawkeye. We definitely want overcrush on this team since we're so focused on attacking, but I want multiple attackers so I'd use Thrown Car instead. Finally, I want some defense and masks, so I'd pick up Beast - Kreature since he works so well with Black Widow - Killer Instinct.

Altogether the base would be this:

Awesome. That's a pretty good base.

If Cheetah blocks Hawkeye, what happens?

If I remember correctly, MTG errata'd the wording to the attack step rules. adding a pre-attack phase for all first strikers...

I think it'd function just like MTG where first strikers deal damage just prior to the normal damage allocation step. Sadly, I don't think they'll ever introduce something like doublestrike since the rampant pump abilities would make it pretty difficult to balance.

Also, it would be great to add in Cone of Cold since you can boost your Hawkeye/Cheetah up higher than the defense of the blockers, guaranteeing they come back and you get some removal.

In Dice Masters, rather than MTG, which is a different game... :P

The active player gets to choose the order in which simultaneous effects resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    In Dice Masters, rather than MTG, which is a different game... :P

The active player gets to choose the order in which simultaneous effects resolve.
    Ooh, yeah, I forget that sometimes since it comes up so little. Then again, the question still remains, would the second character still assign damage? I could definitely see an interpretation where they still both deal damage to each other since neither is removed from the attack zone until the phase changes to the standard damage allocation phase similar to how regular combat damage is assigned. You can see how this would work normally with mutliblockers like the Mr. Fantastic super rare. The active player would decide who assigns damage first, but the damage is still dealt and resolved at that same time.

Yes they both deal damage, and it is fully resolved, at the same time, and before normal combat damage resolves.

Look at the card text - "assigns and resolves".

So, it is functionally similar to the way it is done in MTG, you just don't have the formal pre-attack, or whatever it's called.