Thread: Constantine / Spray ruling...

Constantine / Spray ruling...

So, apparently Prismatic Spray does stop Constanine Hellbazer!

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...0da89cb9184775

Judging by their wording I would assume that Prismatic Spray would allow someone to field something blocked by Loki/Joker. Doesn't clarify what would happen to something captured by Gelatinous Cube, though.

Actually, I think it does clear that up as well. There's no longer any effect keeping the die captured, so the die is released. As you can see in the ruling given, any effects that rely on previous actions are still nullified. Just the same, you would get back any dice captured by a Mind Flayer since there's no effect keeping it captured.

The part of the ruling that makes me question it is "when the effect tries to check what happens it isn't able to." In the case of a Cube/Flayer/Minotaur/whatever capture, there is nothing that is being checked as to whether or not it is happening, such as an attempt to field a character with Constantine or Loki/Joker. The capture just is.

Yeah, I don't see Spray releasing a Captured die at all.

As, alleyviper says, there is no checking of an ability happening, the die is already captured and it remains so.

And I do agree that it would allow one to field something that Loki/Joker was sat on.

Similarly, you could purchase something Lex was stopping you from purchasing.

And so on.

The tricky thing is that, similarly, there is no check on Loki/Joker/Luthor that would disable their ability. If it's all check/trigger related for Spray, those guys may not be negated. It does feel to me that their wording w/r/t Constantine implies that they do get wiped, though.

Hmm... yeah... I see what you're saying... But, yeah, my feeling is still that Spray will negate their effects. Just like it would negate any other static effect, such as a stat debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Yeah, I don't see Spray releasing a Captured die at all.

As, alleyviper says, there is no checking of an ability happening, the die is already captured and it remains so.

And I do agree that it would allow one to field something that Loki/Joker was sat on.

Similarly, you could purchase something Lex was stopping you from purchasing.

And so on.
    Actually, all captures end at the end of the turn unless otherwise stated. If you Pris Sprayed a character, you could choose to resolve the "free from capture" check before the "return card text to cards" effect of the Prismatic Spray. In other words, at the very least the Pris spray would let you free your captured dice at the end of the turn because "at end of turn" is a point when captured DOES check something (the unless otherwise stated aspect of the capture).

e.g. Prismatic Spray frees characters from Deadman?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Actually, all captures end at the end of the turn unless otherwise stated. If you Pris Sprayed a character, you could choose to resolve the "free from capture" check before the "return card text to cards" effect of the Prismatic Spray. In other words, at the very least the Pris spray would let you free your captured dice at the end of the turn because "at end of turn" is a point when captured DOES check something (the unless otherwise stated aspect of the capture).
    End of turn effects are simultaneous.

You, therefore, cannot "choose to resolve the 'free from capture' check before the 'return card text to cards' effect of the Prismatic Spray".

There is a ruling to this effect on the WizKids rules forum, somewhere, I believe.

Here you go:

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...ltaneous#p4996

End of turn effects can't be sequenced, they're simultaneous.

I'm not sure how to feel about this ruling. What does this mean, "When the effect tries to check what happens it isn't able to make anything happen - we're now ignoring Constantine's text."?

It sounds like a previously initiated effect is being canceled because the player cannot, hypothetically, see the text on his or her card. Why is the ability to reread the text of Constantine necessary for the effect to be triggered?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    End of turn effects are simultaneous.

You, therefore, cannot "choose to resolve the 'free from capture' check before the 'return card text to cards' effect of the Prismatic Spray".
    I actually made sure to ask about this while I was there and was told that if a Gelatinous Cube is Sprayed, the captured die would be freed at the end of the turn.

It came with the caveat that all judge rulings come with, namely that what they rule may not ultimately be how Wizkids themselves rule it, but if it were to come up in a game that day, that is how it would have been ruled.