Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: How do I build a good team?

  1. #1

    How do I build a good team?

    I am looking for any kind of tutorial on team building. It seems like everyone I encounter is way better at it than I am. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. I build a team that I think is good and take a break to look at stuff online and find out that my team has major flaws. Ones so bad that the only course is to scrap it and start from scratch. I don't get to play much. About three of four games every two weeks if i am lucky. So I have no way to really test my teams. Is there some secret I don't know about figuring out which cards work well together?

    Thank you all for any information you can offer.

  2. #2
    First things first Ram, tell us about your collection, the scene you play against and your experience as a gamer.
    With this we can give you advice about how to improve your individual game, how to build to the level of your scene and what to look out for in trades.

  3. #3
    The biggest advice I can give is to goldfish (or solitaire playtest) each deck you plan on purchasing using Vassal. The software take a while to get used to, but it is worth it for any game to double check your primary and contingency plans; doubly so for Dice Masters, which places so much emphasis on the active player.

  4. #4
    Gamer Experience: I primarily play Tabletop RPGs. I have played a myriad of RPGs. I played Magic back in the Revised to 4th edition days. I don't like magic now.

    Scene: There are two shops trying to support DM events. The second shop is trying to get into events, but I worked on the day they did their first one. They have not had a second yet. The first shop has so few players that the Saturday events may or may not have enough players on any given week to have the event. They are still giving out the AvX OP event cards. The shop rules are you can only play a single lisense in your team. So I can only play one set in my team unless I play Marvel which has two sets. This last week the group started discussions about opening it up to mixed set play, but a consensus has not yet been reached. Both stores are an hour drive from my house.
    According to the internet there are a lot more events going on 2 to 2 1/2 hours north of me, but I am not sure if it is worth the drive up that way.
    I don't get to play much. I am new to the area and have not made any friends that I can play games with. So all my strategies get played out in my head. I am thinking I can't evaluate a given card very well.

    Collection: Starter Sets - AvX, UCM, JL, BFF(D&D), S1(YGO). Booster Packs - AvX = 100, UCM = 100, JL = 112, BFF(D&D) = 100, S1(YGO) = 100.

    It is easier to tell you what I don't have than what I do.

    Cards & Dice I Don't Have
    AvX
    Rare
    Black Widow: Killer Instinct – 100/132
    Colossus: Piotr Rasputin – 101/132
    Cyclops: Scott Summers – 102/132
    Doctor Doom: Victor – 104/132
    Doctor Strange: Probably a Charlatan – 106/132
    Gambit: Cardsharp – 107/132
    Ghost Rider: Brimstone Biker – 108/132
    Green Goblin: Norman Osborn – 109/132
    Loki: Gem-Keeper – 111/132
    Mystique: Could Be Anyone – 114/132
    Nova: The Human Rocket – 117/132
    Phoenix: Jeannie – 118/132
    Professor X: Charles Francis Xavier – 119/132
    Rogue: Can't Touch This – 121/132

    Super Rare
    Green Goblin: “Gobby” – 130/132
    Mr. Fantastic: Elastic – 131/132
    Wolverine: Canucklehead – 132/132

    Organized Play
    Teamwork: Basic Action Card – 1/13
    Rally!: Basic Action Card – 2/13
    Deflection: Basic Action Card – 3/13
    Takedown: Basic Action Card – 6/13
    Thor: The Mighty – 7/13
    Spider-Man: The Amazing – 8/13
    Wolverine: Walking His Own Path – 9/13
    Colossus: Phoenix Force – 10/13
    Iron Man: Phoenix Buster – 11/13
    Cyclops: Phoenix Force – 12/13
    Phoenix Force: Force of Nature – 13/13

    Dice
    Captain America
    Human Torch x2
    Iron Man
    Mr. Fantastic
    Spider-Man x2
    Storm

    UCM
    Rare
    Apocalypse: Time of Testing – 96/126
    Captain America: Superhero – 100/126
    Emma Frost: Graceful – 101/126
    Iron Man: Superhero – 103/126
    Marvel Girl: Telepath – 105/126
    Pyro: Uncontrolled – 111/126
    Scarlet Witch: Unity Squad – 114/126
    Sentinel: Robot – 115/126
    She-Hulk: Superhero – 116/126
    Toad: Mortimer Toynbee – 119/126
    X-23: Killing Machine – 121/126

    Super Rare
    Emma Frost: Hellfire Club – 123/126
    Iron Man: Industrialist – 124/126
    Spider-Man: Superhero – 126/126

    Organized Play Cards
    Magneto: Heir to the Dream – 1/9
    Apocalypse: Earth-295 – 2/9
    Beast: Nefarious Geneticist – 3/9
    Sentinel: Omega – 4/9
    Kitty Pryde: On a Mission – 5/9
    Wolverine: Wanted – 6/9
    Emma Frost: White Queen – 8/9

    JL
    Rare
    Aquaman: Orin – 106/138
    Black Manta: Artificial Gills – 109/138
    Blue Beetle: High School Hero – 110/138
    Brainiac: Twelfth-Level Intelligence – 112/138
    Catwoman: Femme Fatale – 114/138
    Deadman: Embracing Life – 117/138
    Lantern Power Ring: Flight – 124/138
    Lex Luther: Billionaire Industrialist – 125/138
    Robin: Acrobatic Adolescent – 127/138
    Shazam!: Strength of Hercules – 128/138
    The Atom: Science Advisor – 105/138
    The Flash: Speedster – 88/138
    Vibe: Formerly Hardline – 133/138

    Super Rare
    Black Canary: Dinah Laurel Lance – 135/138

    Organized Play Cards
    Pandora's Box: Basic Action Card – 1/2
    Superman: Trinity War – 2/2

    BFF(D&D)
    Rare
    Dracolich: Paragon Undead Dragon – 99/138
    Drow Assassin: Paragon Humanoid – 100/138
    Invisible Stalker: Paragon Elemental – 106/138
    Limited Wish: Paragon Spell – 123/138
    Magic Sword: Paragon Gear – 122/138
    Mummy: Paragon Undead – 110/138
    Owl Bear: Paragon Beast – 112/138
    Pit Fiend: Paragon Fiend – 113/138

    Super Rare
    Mind Flayer: Epic Humanoid – 125/138
    Tarrasque: Epic Aberration – 128/138

    S1(YGO)
    Rare
    Black Luster Soldier: Fearsome Fighter – 72/120
    Breaker the Magical Warrior: Counterspell – 75/120
    Flame Swordsman: Salamandra Flamestrike – 82/120
    Harpie Lady: Flurry of Feathers – 85/120
    Harpie Lady Sisters: Trio of Terror – 86/120
    Injection Fairy Lily: Fairy Nurse – 87/120
    Jinzo: Trap Destroyer – 88/120
    La Jinn the Mystical Genie of the Lamp: The Power of the Lamp – 90/120
    Lord of D.: Dragonkin – 91/120
    Man-Eater Bug: Gaping Maw – 92/120
    Marshmallon: Bites Back – 93/120
    Sangan: Sacrificial Fiend – 100/120
    Slifer the Sky Dragon: Lightning Blast – 101/120
    Summoned Skull: Lightning Strike – 102/120
    The Winged Dragon of Ra: The Most Powerful Egyptian God – 106/120
    Thousand Dragon: Noxious Nostril Gust – 103/120

    Super Rare
    Obelisk the Tormentor: Intimidator – 107/120
    The Winged Dragon of Ra: Blaze Cannon – 110/120

    Sorry for the long post. I wanted to give you all the info I could since I feel I need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by Ramlatus; 06-13-2015 at 09:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Excellent. This post really helps give us a frame work for what you are working with. It sounds like the best thing for you would be a Marvel team that you could mix other sets into to improve later.

    I suggest trying one of the nationals teams that works for you until you have an idea of what strategies work for you and your scene.

  6. #6
    ]Dave W
    Basic Actions:
    Relentless
    Polymorph

    Team
    Wolverine: Formerly Weapon Ten
    Hulk: Green Goliath
    Black Widow: Tsarina
    Green Goblin: Gobby
    Professor X: Recruiting Young Mutants
    Psylocke: Kwannon Assassin
    Doom Caliber Knight: Fiendish Fighter
    Blue-Eyes White Dragon: Monstrous Dragon

    YouTube of the Final Match:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAq_vBn3KBE

    This is from the wiki on our site. I'm not sure if you allowed to mix you BACs despite your liscence limits. If not, perhaps try Transfer power instead of Polymorph. As for Blue eyes you could bring Silver Surfer, and to replace doom-caliber knight, perhaps add Patch. Hobby isn't all thatnessicary either, perhaps swap him out for something else that gives you a decent amount of chip damage, or a useful global. Maybe even Storm Weather Witch.

  7. #7
    To borrow some Magic terminology, I would encourage you to find out if you are a Timmy, Johnny or Spike.
    There are some excellent articles you can find to explain these gamers psychographics if you are unfamiliar, but my take on them (in a nutshell) would be:

    Timmy - PXG ramp with huge characters to smash your opponent
    Johnny - maybe Relentless and Imprisoned to clear your opponents blockers, then a team that can swing for 20 in one turn - Nick Fury Patch + Avengers. Or maybe a bolt-based team around Pyro - Uncontrolled?
    Spike - copy the teams that did well at Nationals.

    This may be a useful way to approach deckbuilding. I think I am more of a Johnny/Spike, so I want to win but with a combo-ish team. That is how I approach my team building!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by slimo View Post
    To borrow some Magic terminology, I would encourage you to find out if you are a Timmy, Johnny or Spike.
    There are some excellent articles you can find to explain these gamers psychographics if you are unfamiliar, but my take on them (in a nutshell) would be:

    Timmy - PXG ramp with huge characters to smash your opponent
    Johnny - maybe Relentless and Imprisoned to clear your opponents blockers, then a team that can swing for 20 in one turn - Nick Fury Patch + Avengers. Or maybe a bolt-based team around Pyro - Uncontrolled?
    Spike - copy the teams that did well at Nationals.

    This may be a useful way to approach deckbuilding. I think I am more of a Johnny/Spike, so I want to win but with a combo-ish team. That is how I approach my team building!
    Nothing against ya personally slimo, but I do not advise going in this direction, simply because, at some level, you have to be a bit of Spike in order to win. Timmy likes the social aspect of the game, Johnny likes the creative aspect, and Spike likes the competitive aspect. For example, I consider myself a Johnny-Spike, or a rogue builder.

    I would instead focus on what playstyle you identify most with as far as Aggro, Tempo, Midrange, and Control go. To do so, just ask yourself a few questions:

    1. Do you prefer long games or short games?
    2. Do you prefer to interact with your opponent?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ELC1847 View Post
    Nothing against ya personally slimo, but I do not advise going in this direction, simply because, at some level, you have to be a bit of Spike in order to win. Timmy likes the social aspect of the game, Johnny likes the creative aspect, and Spike likes the competitive aspect. For example, I consider myself a Johnny-Spike, or a rogue builder.

    I would instead focus on what playstyle you identify most with as far as Aggro, Tempo, Midrange, and Control go. To do so, just ask yourself a few questions:

    1. Do you prefer long games or short games?
    2. Do you prefer to interact with your opponent?
    I think that is a very simplistic view of the psychographics and a common misconception. Spike is driven by winning but all three psychographics want to win (otherwise what are we doing playing a competitive game!). Timmy wants to do it primarily by having fun, Spike was to do it primarily by being innovative, and Spike doesn't care as long as he wins!

    But again I have simplified things there and I don't want to derail the thread - just wanted to clarify some things I disagreed with in your response.
    I just thought for a player having a tough time knowing where to start, that is a useful option!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    ]Dave W
    Basic Actions:
    Relentless
    Polymorph

    Team
    Wolverine: Formerly Weapon Ten
    Hulk: Green Goliath
    Black Widow: Tsarina
    Green Goblin: Gobby
    Professor X: Recruiting Young Mutants
    Psylocke: Kwannon Assassin
    Doom Caliber Knight: Fiendish Fighter
    Blue-Eyes White Dragon: Monstrous Dragon

    YouTube of the Final Match:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAq_vBn3KBE

    This is from the wiki on our site. I'm not sure if you allowed to mix you BACs despite your liscence limits. If not, perhaps try Transfer power instead of Polymorph. As for Blue eyes you could bring Silver Surfer, and to replace doom-caliber knight, perhaps add Patch. Hobby isn't all thatnessicary either, perhaps swap him out for something else that gives you a decent amount of chip damage, or a useful global. Maybe even Storm Weather Witch.
    Which Surfer would you replace with?

    And how about Hellblazer over Fiendish Fighter?

  11. #11
    The surfer doesn't really matter, but Sky Rider is the best. Constantine would be a good replacement for Hobby or Doom Caliber Knight, while maybe another support global could help in the other spot.

  12. #12
    I need to point out that if I am going with a marvel deck the currently I am unable to use a Constantine: Hellblazer as he is a DC character.

    To answer the question of BACs. Your BACs must be from the same license as the team you are playing.

    More talk today of going mixed though as newness of DC wears off and people admit that DC:JL can't compete with Marvel AvX & UCM. A mixed would allow players to use DC cards with the Marvel ones to create stronger teams overall.

  13. #13
    My Dragon Team guide lays out a whole lot of my own thought processes for building a good team.

    http://www.diceanon.com/step-by-step-dragon-team/

    I generally have a pattern whenever I'm building or drafting that always starts with my win-condition and first few buys. That being said, the fastest way to get good at deck building in dice masters is identifying the best cards you have available in each cost range. You can often win with just 8 rock solid cards with different costs.

  14. #14
    I am FINALLY starting to build decent teams. So here's my quick two cents.

    What is your finishing blow? What key card are you building up to in order to bring your opponent down to 0?
    What is your opening move? What character are you buying? Do you have a way to start building up some ramp?

    If you can't figure those two main things, you are going in clueless (which I have done MANY times) After that, it's figuring out what globals will help you but not hinder too much if your opponents use it, what other characters help your lead up to the big one, etc.

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Hop on vassal and play some drafts with us. We usually give critiques about choices, and draft teams are a good place to learn a bit of this and a bit of that until you find a trick you really like and want to build a team around. I mean, that's all I do and they gave me a podcast.

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Vassal is an online simulator for practicing Dicemasters. You can do either constructed, or with the new Dice Masters Draft module, you can now do drafts as well. Check out this thread for some info on getting set up.

    Also, this thread gets you set up for draft.

  19. #19
    And don't be frustrated man. It takes a little while to get things going and figure out not just building a good deck but also how to pilot it.

  20. #20
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    350

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    And it's somewhat subjective to the match-up. The thing is just to keep looking for mechanics that play well together. And don't discount any card. There is something out there that makes it work! Unless it's common vixen. Then you have to get outside the game to find a way to make it worth anything.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    And it's somewhat subjective to the match-up. The thing is just to keep looking for mechanics that play well together. And don't discount any card. There is something out there that makes it work! Unless it's common vixen. Then you have to get outside the game to find a way to make it worth anything.
    They make GREAT kindling. Nothing helps get a fire going quite like the common Vixen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •