Thread: Overcrush Rush!

Overcrush Rush!

I have been tinkering with a build to abuse Anger Issues in conjunction with Black Panther - T'Challa in order to get a huge overcrushing attacker out by turn 3/4.
    I know that Wolverine - FWX is better in this spot but I don't own this card at the moment. Also want to include Ant Man as a cheap alternative as buying 4 and 5 cost dice doesn't leave room for ramp/globals.
    In terms of globals, I am thinking PXG, Mr Fantastic to make potential high defense blockers attack, and probably Relentless as my other action.
    Maybe Psylocke - Kwannon as a cheap source of masks and removal if required.

Wondering if anyone has other suggestions, thoughts, experience, success with this type of team?

Maybe something like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	123 
Size:	351.7 KB 
ID:	708
    I should say do not have D&D / Yugioh sets so there might be some obvious cards there I don't know about

I think Black Panther brings enough damage on his own, so you would do better to use Wakanda Chief for the cheaper purchase cost. As for how to pull it off, you can do it without any PXG being involved using just 4 cards:

Turn 1 buy BP, turn 2 Red Dragon Global to buy Anger issues and then Villainous Pact puts those two dice and four sidekicks into your bag. Chances are good you draw both and now you can swing for 8-11 damage on turn 3. Honestly though, this isn't a very powerful play since it requires you neglect ramp and gives you no room to counter simple cards like Distraction.

I'd recommend building around a turn 5-6 overcrush swing so you don't have to dedicate so hard to early damage. After all, the first 19 life are worthless, only the 20th wins you the game.

Also, if you're going to build around Ant-Man and Black Panther, you should definitely include some version of Nick Fury for great Avenger buffs.

I was hesitant to use Wakanda Chief as he may not be able to attack.
    Neglecting ramp is an issue if I have something to ramp to...also curious as to how having extra energy could help you counter Distraction? (sorry I am relatively new to the game)

Thanks for your brutally honest feedback as well! Was trying not to build an existing team though (i.e. Patch Avengers)

if you substituted this Ant-Man, you could get a Professor X out on turn 3, and set up an upset overcrush. OR spin the A/D of Black Panther while he is out and defending. The FWX Wolverine is just a beast of a card for 4 energy, but ensure you need something to defend with. Patch would be handy for non-blockers, but useless with overcrush. I would use Mr. Anger just for the free fielding costs. But with Black Panther at a 011 and Antman at 001, not much benefit. So WWII Veteran's +1A/+1D and at a two cost would keep him cheap to get and use. Honestly, you might find another cheap fielding cost character and put them in in his place. Lord of D. Dragon Protector would make a good defensive character to keep the rush off you and couldn't be directly pinged or manipulated out of the way. Ensuring you have a blocker if needed, while setting up for your overcrush.

Yeah, that's an issue you're going to have to deal with. Either you hope your opponent fields a sidekick, or you miss out on the Avengers synergy with Ant-Man and pay extra energy.

Extra energy counters Distraction because of You can pay a fist and make it so that Distraction's global can't target you.

Additionally, you could use extra energy to buy and make it permanent.

Honestly though, overcrush is just hard to make work in the early game. It's much better when you take the time to work up to it since that ensures you have the right characters and resources to smash your way through his defenses. If you want to play an aggro team, go for removal and direct damage like dragons or Tsarina instead of overcrush.

Fair enough, I have stayed away from Yugioh and D&D as I mentioned previously

Not sure why everyone is trying to turn a team idea into already established teams though? I appreciate that these teams are almost certainly better but I am more interested in being different and trying something new

So @slimo what is it you are looking for from the community? Like the missing two slots? and do you just want DC & Marvel?

@slimo Not existing teams, these are just good cards that fit certain roles really well; Like non-distract able blockers to setup the win condition. It is just you see these cards on teams because there are not many of them in any of the sets. Maybe a Rhino card from The Amazing Spider man set will bring a non-des tractable blocker to a superhero set. And honestly, I had forgotten about Human Paladin. Such a great cheap shield character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapedaveb View Post
    So @slimo what is it you are looking for from the community? Like the missing two slots? and do you just want DC & Marvel?
    Ideally, yes.
    Unfortunately they are the only sets I have and being quite new I was just wanting advice on how to fill out a team as well as feedback on whether or not it would be a decent idea.

The feedback has been clearly received so was just wondering if there were any obvious Marvel/DC cards that could help this strategy I was considering.

@slimo , OK cool, so some suggestions small characters for cheap blockers plus advantages like Nick fury any of them, patch would be cool too, and then maybe falcon just, the blank common? Cheetah cursed archaeologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Honestly though, overcrush is just hard to make work in the early game. It's much better when you take the time to work up to it since that ensures you have the right characters and resources to smash your way through his defenses. If you want to play an aggro team, go for removal and direct damage like dragons or Tsarina instead of overcrush.
    Class is in session! Is everyone taking notes?

hmmm. So don't "try" to build an aggro team using mid-range tools, and then "try" to play it aggro?

I have totally been doing that!!!
    thanks for the moment of clarity...

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    Class is in session! Is everyone taking notes?

hmmm. So don't "try" to build an aggro team using mid-range tools, and then "try" to play it aggro?

I have totally been doing that!!!
    thanks for the moment of clarity...
    It's moments like these that I wish there was a punctuation mark for sarcasm... just to make it clear on way or another...

but yeah, that's the essence of it. Overcrush as it currently stands isn't built for early aggression. Even though you can force it to happen, it's going to have worse results than legitimate aggro strategies or a slower overcrush setup.