Thread: Dragons are Forever

Dragons are Forever

Here is the Dragon team I have been playing around with. It is NOT a turn 4 team, but can reliably wipe the board and your opponent within 9 turns. Dice Layout here

The team has two phases:
    Phase 1 - Stablize and Defend [Turns 1 - 4/5]
    Depending on your opponent, you will either race to get Jinzo out to shutdown global use, or
    You will put out Lord of D. and M. Puzzle to break their aggressive strategy
    Either way, you are purchasing Kobolds for swarm ramp, or using their PXG to help with ramp.
    On turn 4 -5 Monster Reborn purchases for as many dice as you can. (USE RED DRAGON GLOBAL TO GET THERE one of them for sure!!!!)

Phase 2 - Dragon Roar: [Turns 5/6-10]
    Objective is simple, spin Lord of D. down to his burst while spinning your dragons up.
    You want 1 Blue Dragon, 1 Green Dragon, and 1 Red Dragon on the field. If your having issues with energy, 2 Blue, 2 Green will also work.
    Monster Reborn can help get purchases from your used pile, either on the field for free, or into your bag quicker.

Once assembled, you use Breath Weapon from all of the Dragons, which may involve paying 2 life for the Red Dragon.
    At level 1 Dragons, you will use your Breath Weapon for 4 points to your Opponent and all of his defenders, plus any characters can't block unless he pays life, THEN you still get to declare one of them as being unable to block. Then you will be swinging for 11 Points, so you have an effective amount of 15 points of damage. I also like to use Prismatic Spray to wipe away his pesky characters card text (WW Inv. sidekicks). At max level, it is 25 points just from Dragons. I usually also have a Jinzo and a Lord of D. to also swing in with for an extra 7 - 12 points of damage.

Some extra synergies to use your opponents cards against them. Magic Missile, picking up global or extra direct damage dice for the final blow is always good. PXG just speeds this team up. Adding Anger Issues is just mean and should be done. You have a pretty good defensive body and have 20 life to play around with. I frequently will take bigger hits if it does not result in lethal damage, if it means less characters if I am going to swing out in two or three turns.

I'm a big fan of running Transfer Power with Kobold. Gives you a global that your opponent will want to pay 2 life to Jinzo to use in the absence of PXG too.

Quote Originally Posted by NickPhamDA View Post
    I'm a big fan of running Transfer Power with Kobold. Gives you a global that your opponent will want to pay 2 life to Jinzo to use in the absence of PXG too.
    I agree that Transfer power is pretty powerful with a Kobold Team, which is why I went with Monster Reborn. I have two issues with Transfer Power: First, it has that Global ability. Second, I do not like giving my opponent global abilities that are not key to the strategy. Although in this case, Jinzo and the Kobolds would be the only valid targets if they were going to use it. I would not want to see a 1/1 Jinzo leave the field because of 1 stray . But in the swing in, you might already be tapped for enough energy to field both the Red Dragon at a 3 fielding cost and still have 2 energy left over to power the Breath Weapon.

But Both card are otherwise identical, Cost and Function. And critical component of the strategy.

@NickPhamDA never mind, your right. I totally see how this works in my favor on turn two going second. Save a when they swing in on turn three grab on of thier guys during the main phase and lessen the blow. Same with turn three if your going first, or turn four if your going second.

Going Second:
    Turn 1: :sidekick: -> Purchase Kobold / Transfer Power, deal 1 damage to opponent.
    Turn 2: :fist:sidekick: / ->Purchase Kobold / Transfer Power depending on energy, hold shield for super pawn, field sidekick
    Turn 3: -> goal is to have 2 sidekicks / kobolds in the field, and be holding two shields if attack is imminent
    Turn 4: Get Lord of D., Transfer power when available, continue Kobold / Transfer Power purchase.
    Turn 5: Hold s for attacks, ramp with Kobold, Transfer power Jinzo / Lord of D. purchase in.

For action dice, I still prefer buying at least one Polymorph on turn 1 or 2 because it's so reliable and versitile. The Transfer Power/Monster Reborn action die is good for Kobold like we said, so it's a pretty decent followup to Polymorph, but still somewhat optional in my eyes. The general reason why I think it's OK for you to bring along the Transfer Power global is because you should typically have more characters fielded than your opponent and you'll have Jinzo. Keep in mind that your opponent won't be able to target your Dragons, so the only thing your opponent will be able to use transfer power on is a 4/4 Jinzo and a 3/3 Lord of D. Almost every team brings things with more attack power on them than that. On defense your attack values don't matter too much, but every single character that you would generally attack with is either a 1/1 or immune to targetting.

I like the team it looks like fun to play. I would possibly pick a 2 cost character. But I really like Monster Reborn themeatically and I think it is fun.

Played a few games with this team. IT was really fun to play. Starting with Stall then Build the Dragons. I did replace Monster Reborn with Transfer Power, which is the exact same effect for the same cost with the global. The horror of swapping a 1/1 with a 4/4 really is fun with the global. I was able to fend of an overly aggressive team; however, lost pretty hard to a Constantine / Jinzo control team. I can't wait to get back home and play a few more constructed games with this team.

Open Note to Michael Le - Thank You.

I would swap out one of the green or blue dragons with a breath weapon 2 version. A little more bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    I would swap out one of the green or blue dragons with a breath weapon 2 version. A little more bang for your buck.
    One of the already effectively does 2 to the player while only costing 1. The other removes threats from the attack. Especially if you spray first.

Quote Originally Posted by zeon20 View Post
    ;
    Your welcome, though I'm not sure why you would thank me lol
    If your the Michael Le from Top 8 at Worlds, Thank You. I was not able to go this year due to my youngest daughter graduating High School. I am not taking any credit for your team at worlds and your an amazing pilot. When I heard that someone was playing a dragon's team; I immediately took an interest, as obviously I have been a big fan of them since D&D BFF came out. But noticing the two card difference I realized that the early aggro teams can be held at bay with one of two purchases with your team. Replacing Jinzo with Constantine is an even better fit. Because sometimes it was a struggle to get the shields for the Transfer Power Global. Let alone get the energy for Jinzo turn 3 without a PXG.

So now I am playing my favorite team, sans a two card replacement. Online it has been pretty brutal to aggro teams, and shutdown a lot of other things. Struggling with a couple other teams like last night where I was pinged to death with a Tsarina, Iceman, Nova combo. Although the third match was turning it around with a last minute defeat because of bag overload.

Hats off to you Michael Le, sir. Dragons are Forever is now even more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    If your the Michael Le from Top 8 at Worlds, Thank You. I was not able to go this year due to my youngest daughter graduating High School. I am not taking any credit for your team at worlds and your an amazing pilot. When I heard that someone was playing a dragon's team; I immediately took an interest, as obviously I have been a big fan of them since D&D BFF came out. But noticing the two card difference I realized that the early aggro teams can be held at bay with one of two purchases with your team. Replacing Jinzo with Constantine is an even better fit. Because sometimes it was a struggle to get the shields for the Transfer Power Global. Let alone get the energy for Jinzo turn 3 without a PXG.

So now I am playing my favorite team, sans a two card replacement. Online it has been pretty brutal to aggro teams, and shutdown a lot of other things. Struggling with a couple other teams like last night where I was pinged to death with a Tsarina, Iceman, Nova combo. Although the third match was turning it around with a last minute defeat because of bag overload.

Hats off to you Michael Le, sir. Dragons are Forever is now even more fun.
    Np problem man. I'm just a big dragon guy so being able to rep dragons for a decent run n a world tournament was just a blast for me. Hopefully u will be able to make it to next year worlds so that way maybe two dragon teams can be running around breathe weaponing everything away lol.

Michaels Dragon team wrecked me when he came to my local game store. It hurts.