Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cyclops - Field Leader

Cyclops - Field Leader

I assume he would work with Firestorm - Jason and Ronnie? So if both are in the field, every bolt character you field does 3 damage?

Cool, thanks.
    Cheetah - Cursed Archaeologist would get boosted by Cyclops as well I assume? (2 dmg when attacking plus 1 extra damage if unblocked?)

I think yes because the damage happens at separate times, the one happens as soon as she is declared an attacker and then she would do another additional if she is unblocked. BUT I could be wrong about the second part.

Yes, and yes.

He's an important part of any bolt-based burn team, in my opinion.

So would Johnny Storm deal 2 damage to player and 2 to a character for every fielded character if Cyclops Field Leader was out?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Cyclops just boosts damage by one. So you still pick a target, but the damage is 3 with Cy in the field.

Edit: I said "just," but I wasn't trying to minimize the impact he has. It works on combat damage (effectively a +1A to all characters) and ability damage like this (and Johnny Storm, who becomes two to character, two to opponent). It's effective, no doubt.

Actually, the Cyclops/Johnny question is one of the questions that WizKids' Dice Masters Rules Team seem either unable, or unwilling, to answer, because I know it has been asked at least once, and I believe multiple times.

And there are two schools of thought:

The first, is that Cyclops only increases the overall damage by 1, but that just raises another question - which is "where does the extra 1 damage go?" - does it go on the opponent, or the target character? Does the player using the ability get to choose?

The second is that, though the Force Beam/Hulk ruling states that the damage is considered to be coming from the same source, it is not clear that it is considered to be one instance of damage, and, therefore, it is reasonable to interpret the Cyclops ability as increasing both portions of damage that come from Torch's ability.

Personally I think it is the later.
    Last edited by Scorpion0x17; 05-30-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Misread an earlier comment. Corrected an error.

Blog Entries
    Is there precedence for the first school of thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Is there precedence for the first school of thought?
    My understanding is that those that hold to that school of thought use the Hulk/Force Beam ruling in the FAQ as the basis for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post

The second is that, though the Force Beam/Hulk ruling states that the damage is considered to be coming from the same source, it is not clear that it is considered to be one instance of damage, and, therefore, it is reasonable to interpret the Cyclops ability as increasing both portions of damage that come from Torch's ability.

Personally I think it is the later.
    I strongly agree. Cyclops' text states "whenever"- I think we can agree this indicates each instance of damage. Johnny Storm states that he deals 1 damage to a character and 1 damage to a player- this seems to indicate two instances of damage. It might be a little more ambiguous if the wording was "deals 1 damage to a character and player", but as written I think the both instances of damage would benefit from the +1.

Quote Originally Posted by slimo View Post
    I assume he would work with Firestorm - Jason and Ronnie? So if both are in the field, every bolt character you field does 3 damage?
    Throw in Human Torch: Flame On! and bump that to 4 damage.

Blog Entries
    If firestorm is in the field and you field another, yes. But not when you field the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
    Throw in Human Torch: Flame On! and bump that to 4 damage.

Actually, its 5. Human Torch and Firestorm are two separate effects that happen to do the same thing. You can't ignore one over the other's "fielded" ability.

Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    Actually, its 5. Human Torch and Firestorm are two separate effects that happen to do the same thing. You can't ignore one over the other's "fielded" ability.
    You're right! If Cyclops, Firestorm, and Human Torch are all active, and you field another bolt character:

• 1 damage is dealt by Human Torch
    • 2 damage is dealt by Firestorm
    • 2 damage is dealt by Cyclops (1 for Human Torch and 1 for Firestorm causing damage)
    Last edited by Crestfallen; 06-01-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
    You're right! If Cyclops, Firestorm, and Human Torch are all active, and you field another bolt character:

• 1 damage is dealt by Human Torch
    • 2 damage is dealt by Firestorm
    • 2 damage is death by Cyclops (1 for Human Torch and 1 for Firestorm causing damage)
    Strictly speaking, it's:

• 2 damage is dealt by Human Torch (1 from ability, 1 from Cyclops').
    • 3 damage is dealt by Firestorm (2 from ability, 1 from Cyclops').

(Currently I can't think an instance where this distinction would matter, but it might in the future).

Cyclops does not deal the additional damage himself, he just increases the damage being dealt.

I matters for the Treant Global. "reduce damage you are dealt from a character ability to 1." or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiend28 View Post
    I don't like Firestorm's wording. I feel like its more confusing with the reminder text
    I agree. The "while active" wording totally makes the reminder moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I agree. The "while active" wording totally makes the reminder moot.
    What is this reminder text and how is it confusing?

"(Including Firestorm)"

I think it's confusing because there's no reason to muddy up the waters on when Firestorm's while active ability would trigger. Of course it triggers when Firestorm is fielded - why in the world wouldn't it? Sort of like, does fielding a Johnny Storm die trigger Johnny Storm's while active ability on a currently fielded die? Yes. Same principle here.

So I can see that the language would cause someone to "over think" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    "(Including Firestorm)"
    I suppose. Given that it says, "while active," I immediately knew it didn't apply to the first but only subsequently fielded Firestorm dice.

To be fair there a few cards with abilities that only trigger when different characters are fielded. (Including Firestorm) text might just be WizKids coving their own butts. Frankly I'm happy for more text on abilities until their team can get a set format for their product.