Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on not bringing PXG?

Thoughts on not bringing PXG?

So let's assume at a tournament, EVERY team has PXG. Would it not be to my advantage to bring something else in that slot?

Worst case scenario is that neither of us have it, and other than the uncommon Prof X that makes your opponent pay life for globals, when he's fielded, I can't think of what would stop me from using my opponents' PXG, or Villainous Pact.

The main way I can see getting foiled is playing against some sort of like, JL Arthur Curry/Zatanna team that ramps up a little naturally, but that still wouldn't be a big problem for me with this team.

Thoughts?

It's cost/benefit question:

If you don't take PXG you have to bring something else to ramp with, or something to slow your opponent down, or a bit of both.

If you do take PXG you don't.

Well here's the other thing... obviously my deck right now has a plan that doesn't include purchasing anyone in PXG's slot.

I'm thinking someone like the UXM uncommon Professor X, or the Captain Cold where your opponent has to pay 1 to attack.

I mean, if I don't take PXG and my opponent's all do, then I can honestly add anything else in that spot, as I can use their globals unless they have something crazy going on where I can't.

It would just give me a leg up on an extra dude that I'd want to buy IN CASE OF this or that happening, causing my original plan to be less effective - like the two I said. It could also just be another Loki/Joker if my opponent has a lot of people to switch to, or like you said, another ramper like the Zatanna when fielded prep area, but again, I feel like I'd then be deviating from my original, what I hope is winning, strategy.

It's a weird game how you don't even usually buy all 8 of your characters, but some of them are like a built in sideboard that you use when your opponent has a hate deck on yours.

I feel like if neither of us has PXG, than the game is just going to be a lot slower. If opponent has the card and I don't, I can still use my opponent's PXG - I just then also would be able to add anything I please, really.

I'm just wondering what other ramp there is out there (other than Uncle Red Tornado, prep area Zatanna, Villainous Pact which both can use, and Gearing up which both can buy) that I'd want to look out for with this strategy of assuming my opponent will have it, or not being the one to give it to my opponent whose deck doesn't have it and only benefits from me having it.

This would be unlimited, tournament style, obviously.

-- I don't think I'm going to end up not taking him, but the things I'm curious about are other ramp cards only my opponent could somehow use that I haven't thought about, that aren't globals, and if my opponent having the global could somehow hurt me because of another card that makes it harder/impossible for an opponent to use your globals.

Thanks, @Scorpion0x17

Bottom line: Nearly everyone should bring PXG.

Longer answer: the game is a speed one right now given the current rules and card choices. all top decks we've seen so far are centered on simply killing the other player as fast as you can. no card helps you in doing that better than PXG. but you can't assume that every opponent will have him. and you will certainly run into players who don't have him. those teams are typically built around not using PXG (but get a boost when he's there). those teams will simply beat you if you don't run PXG if you haven't also built your team around bot using PXG.

Longer bottom line: you should use PXG unless your team strategy specifically involves NOT using him rather than just hoping/assuming your opponent brings him.

Curious what our resident Top 8ers. Think. @Dave ? @Jthomash2 ? Based on your nationals teams, I am guessing you adhere to a similar philosophy, no?

I definitely can agree that if you are not bringing PXG just because your opponent is going to, the one extra card slot you gain is not worth it. However, if you can design a team that does equally as well with or without it that uses only one slot to achieve this variability, then you can perhaps not bring it.

Another option is to bring a strategy that punishes your opponent for his dependency on PXG then you can gain an advantage from not bringing it.

Prismatic spray is an example of this, as is Jinzo.

Based on my experience at nationals (this is Charlie if for those who don't know) there is no way I would skip PXG if my plan includes ramping. It isn't worth the chance of not having him when you want him.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    @Shadowmeld , I couldn't have said it better myself. @Indy Mon , I think you need to determine if your team can function without it. If so, you might benefit from not bringing it. Anything you do that gives you a marginal advantage can add up over the course of the game. The key is can your team go without better than the other guy or gal who doesn't bring it...

And, better than top 8, I'm the 2015 Canadian National Champion, and no one can take that away from me! If I were making a card for the game, I might make a 2 cost mask character with Vixen's stats, with the text "2015 Canadian National Champion" - better value than what's out there now!

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
    Based on my experience at nationals (this is Charlie if for those who don't know) there is no way I would skip PXG if my plan includes ramping. It isn't worth the chance of not having him when you want him.
    Nailed it. If you need him, bring him. If you're flexible, then MAYBE you think about not bringing him.

I agree with you @Jthomash2 . I just don't believe in the current environment that there are top tier competitive teams that are just as good with it as without it unless they are specifically angling to be anti PXG, and that is something that is very hard to do (at least until AoU comes out!), as evidenced by the near sweep of PXG dependent aggro teams at US and Canadian nats.

So I totally agree with you as a general matter. Even at nearly any OP event at a FLGS. I'm just in the "prepping for doing well at Origins" mindset and I should clarify that it is in that specific context that I made my comment. Sorry for not being clearer up front, guys!

I agree with what everyone else has said. Look at the cost of your team, if your end condition costs higher than 4, then I think PXG is a necessity.

@Shadowmeld said it the way it is.

Even if you're win con is 4 cost. You need to have a variety of options, PXG brings you that. You need to be able to spend energy on globals and not just fielding characters, PXG brings you that. Honestly, making a team right now that's competitive should only be looking at 7 cards, 'cause your 8th slot is already filled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    @Shadowmeld said it the way it is.

Even if you're win con is 4 cost. You need to have a variety of options, PXG brings you that. You need to be able to spend energy on globals and not just fielding characters, PXG brings you that. Honestly, making a team right now that's competitive should only be looking at 7 cards, 'cause your 8th slot is already filled up.
    Last sentence is money.

Cutting PXG is fine IMO. However, cutting PXG and building a team that doesn't have the no-PXG matchup as one of its best matchups is not. Some teams pull this off pretty well, but obviously there are strengths and weaknesses to each approach and it becomes a preference thing. I just really want to doubly emphasize that cutting PXG just because your team could use an extra slot, is not the way to go about it. You either plan to not have PXG from the start or accidentally build a team that's almost unbeatable in the absence of PXG and then you replace PXG with something to beef up your weaker matchup.

I know that there's the argument that the 8 slots are tight for a tourney team (which is absolutely true), but of the 8 slots, you may use only 5 of them in 90% of your games. The other 3 slots are "just in case" counters. So really, have a look at the opportunity cost compared to the frequency with which you'd use the cards when figuring out whether or not to trade off PXG for one of those 3 slots.

At this point they should just add the PXG to the core rules of the set and do away with the card altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Helimechks View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance but what is PXG?
    PXG refers to the Professor X Global ability (Pay to put 2 sidekicks from the used pile to the prep area). It is on two of his three cards in Uncanny X-Men.

PXG stands for Professor X Global found on these two cards.

Ninja'd by @OddballNarwhal but I included the pics... tag team for the win

I can't wait to see PXG retired. It skewed the game to make players dependant on 1 card for their whole strategy. When it disappears I expect to see a lot of players suffering withdraw symptoms and are unable think up how to make a competitive deck because they don't really know the ramp mechanic works outside of using PXG.

Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    I can't wait to see PXG retired. It skewed the game to make players dependant on 1 card for their whole strategy. When it disappears I expect to see a lot of players suffering withdraw symptoms and are unable think up how to make a competitive deck because they don't really know the ramp mechanic works outside of using PXG.
    Maybe it's more like training wheels though. Once a person uses PXG a bit, maybe it'll allow them to see the possibilities for other forms of ramp and allow them to ween themselves off of the PXG binky.

When PXG was introduced into the game, it was sorely needed.

Beast wall was a horrible, horrible, thing.

Now there is more options for ramp and churn it is less needed.