Thread: What other podcasts do you listen to...NOT board game related?

What other podcasts do you listen to...NOT board game related?

I have a long drive to work and I enjoy listening to a variety of things. I'll start with some of my favorites:

Thrilling Adventure Hour - Old timey radio style. I enjoy listening to the stories of "Beyond Belief", "Sparks Nevada" and "Captain Laserbeam".

Welcome to Nightvale - Radio broadcast style. Very Lovecraftian - what if paranormal things happened in real life, but it was expected and somewhat normal?

Comedy Bang Bang - I haven't listened to this one lately, but I've found any episode with Weird Al or Paul F. Tompkins as a guest is pretty funny.

Song Exploder - I only listen to the episodes featuring songs I know. Interesting interviews and breakdown of songs.

How Did This Get Made? - Great conversations about not-so-great movies.

Film Sack - only for movies that I care about, but the crew is pretty entertaining.

This American Life - Always an interesting angle on something and an engaging storytelling style.

Serial - Can't wait for season 2. Gives me hope for all podcasting - Sarah Koenig is the first person to be famous because of podcasting.

Radiolab

99% Invisible

Car Talk

So I'm a sucker for NPR I guess...

Start Up - It was really interesting listening to this guy going through the struggles of starting his own business, and season two has been just as good as they normalize and start following another business. Looks like Gimlet Media is taking off!

You Look Nice Today - they've been spotty the last year or two but their back catalogue is priceless. Very funny, usually inventive, occasionally crude.

Mission Log - as a Trekkie, I love it. They break down every Star Trek episode on a very highbrow level. Currently coming up on the end of season two of TNG.

I just recently got into Podcast listening in a big way. Last year my daily commute increased from 30min to 60min, and I've found that Podcasts really help pass the time. In fact, I credit the TRP team here for bringing me into full on obsession with both Podcasts and Dice Masters...kudos to you guys once again...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Mission Log - as a Trekkie, I love it. They break down every Star Trek episode on a very highbrow level. Currently coming up on the end of season two of TNG.
    I will second Mission Log. Excellent Podcast for any Trekkie. I'm actually rewatching all the TNG episodes along with these guys as the release a new episode every week.

Rob Has A Podcast - one of my greatest guilty pleasures is the reality ahow that started it all "Survivor". This is largely becuase my whole family is into it, so it is something that we all share and talk about at all family functions. For any fan of the show, this podcast is a great companion.

Rachel and Miles Xplain the Xmen - I was a big comic collector in the mid 90s, focusing primarily on the Xmen. I got huge into back issues at the time in addition to the current titles. I have since fallen off on my comic collecting, so this podcast is not only giving me a chance to relive some of the stories that I enjoyed in my youth, but also bring me up to speed on the current state of the X universe. Fun stuff!

The Morning Stream A daily morning show covering all kinds of geeky stuff throughout the week.
    Current Geek Weekly geek news recap podcast.
    DLC Video game news and discussion.
    Fantasy Focus Football I love fantasy football, this podcast is occasionally informative, always entertaining.
    Film Sack Discussion of usually bad but entertaining movies. I also only listen to the ones about movies I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    The Morning Stream A daily morning show covering all kinds of geeky stuff throughout the week.
    Current Geek Weekly geek news recap podcast.
    Fantasy Focus Football I love fantasy football, this podcast is occasionally informative, always entertaining.
    Film Sack Discussion of usually bad but entertaining movies. I also only listen to the ones about movies I care about.
    Enjoy the 06010 podcast while you can. I loved it in its old form, but then people started leaving. Bums me out.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    Enjoy the 06010 podcast while you can. I loved it in its old form, but then people started leaving. Bums me out.
    Oh I know. I'm pissed Nate left. I haven't listened since his last show. I liked Daniel Dop more than Pod, so that change didn't bother me. I'm worried about how well it will be this season.

Usually bad but not always bad. They've done some good ones too, but agreed in general - usually just movies that I care about.

Oh I know. I'm pissed Nate left. I haven't listened since his last show. I liked Daniel Dop more than Pod, so that change didn't bother me. I'm worried about how well it will be this season.
    I quit listening last year during Nate's farewell tour. I used to love FF.

The Fantasy Football Guys are pretty entertaining and I like their show quite a bit.

the mana pool

I don't anymore, but when I played MTG, this was my favorite podcast.

These guys are hilarious... Hopefully some of trp's podcasts can include this style of silliness..

Here's what I've been playing most recently:

• Reply All: a relatively new show from Gimlet Media that focuses on stories about the internet.
    • Criminal: if you like Serial and crime-related stuff, this is a good, short podcast.
    • Death, Sex & Money: an interview/storytelling show that isn't afraid to address more taboo issues of being human.
    • Invisibilia: explores the invisible forces affecting human behavior.
    • This American Life: an absolute essential.
    • RadioLab: basically audio documentaries with immersive editing and sound-mixing.
    • Planet Money: covers financial news from an interesting, storytelling place that will appeal to novices like myself.
    • Quirks and Quarks: YEAH, SCIENCE!
    • WTF with Marc Maron: an interview format show hosted by a standup comic. One of the best podcasts out there. The two-parter with Louis CK has been declared the best podcast episode of all time by Slate.
    Last edited by Crestfallen; 06-02-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added source.

Nate was the best. The host interaction really made that show. I believe it ended after the season concluded but Matthew Berry is likely to have another podcast announced, if not already.

My other fav FF podcasts were CBS and Footballguys.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
    Nate was the best. The host interaction really made that show. I believe it ended after the season concluded but Matthew Berry is likely to have another podcast announced, if not already.

My other fav FF podcasts were CBS and Footballguys.
    The show was tough to listen to when Nate wasn't there. Berry isn't a good host. If he can find someone with good hosting abilities that bring the negativity like Nate did and keep Matthew in line, I think it has a chance.

+1 to DLC

Also I listen to The Dice Tower podcast and Dice Tower News pretty regularly.
    And Media Pulp for some game, movie and TV coverage with a UK perspective.

Anyone listen to a gaming podcast with a good overall Origins preview? Dice Tower didn't get very detailed, Cabal was more about the fun they have there. Thanks!

I subscribe to about 80 podcasts. Excluding gaming ones as requested, and only picking some highlights that aren't super-niche (well, the last one is...):

Planet Money - explains various economics topics in a very accessible and engaging way.
    QuackCast - Examines various forms of medical quackery.
    Radiolab - +1. Already mentioned above.
    Snap Judgement - Kinda of a This American Life (+1 for TAL) type of show, but the stories are often told in a different style, "storytelling with a beat."
    Thrilling Adventure Hour - as mentioned above. My love of Old Time Radio brings me to this show.
    Judge John Hodgman - John Hodgman (the guy who played the "PC" from those old "I'm a Mac" ads) rules on trivial matters brought to his fake courtroom. Very entertaining.
    You Are Not So Smart - explains the cognitive issues and biases we all have so you can help avoid them and fallacious thinking. Despite this description, not dry or dull AT ALL. Plus, COOKIES!
    Skeptics' Guide to the Universe - science news and critical thinking
    Hardcore History - In history, I have a soft spot for Ancient Civs, but other than that, never really liked history. However, the host of this show has a way of going through history that makes it fascinating.
    TechSNAP - I could list lots of tech podcasts, but will only list this one. If you're in the industry and have an interest in security you should be listening to this one and/or PSW.

I have a data entry job, so I just listen to podcasts all day. I will definitely check out some of the suggestions listed here.

Just a few of my Favorites are:

Fatman on Batman: Kevin Smith discussing Batman related things
    Nerd Poker: Brian Posehn and his Friends playing D&D. I suggest starting from the beginning if you check it out.
    How Did This Get Made?: They watch a terrible movie and then talk about it.
    Doodie Calls with Doug Mand: This is one of the funniest things I've heard. A guest every week tells a story about when they pooped (or almost pooped) their pants.

Perhaps dating myself; I typically hear Nerd Poker to refer to MTG rather than D&D.

I had not actually heard the term before finding that podcast. It referring to MTG would make more sense though, since its a card game.

@Ken: You and I need to talk more. Your love of old-time radio makes me super happy.

@RJRETRO -- you like OTR too? Indeed, we *do* need to talk more. I've got tens of thousands of shows, so hit me up if you're looking for something! The first website I ever built was an OTR website.

I'm just a huge radio fan in general. Audio is just such a huge part of my life.