Thread: Gencon...anyone?

I know a few staff members are going, @Ken and chris I think. @TRPEvan . These guys are going.
    Last edited by Shadowmeld; 06-01-2015 at 09:25 AM.

I'm going for sure! The tickets for the rainbow draft events sure sold quickly! If you haven't looked lately, note that an independent group has added some late night constructed tournaments. There are plenty of tickets left for those events.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'm going for sure! The tickets for the rainbow draft events sure sold quickly! If you haven't looked lately, note that an independent group has added some late night constructed tournaments. There are plenty of tickets left for those events.
    So if I don't already have tickets to draft, then I can't draft at all?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    So if I don't already have tickets to draft, then I can't draft at all?
    You can show up with $12 worth of generic event tickets in the event that there is a no-show.

From GenCon's site: Generic tickets are worth $2 and can be used to pay for any event at Gen Con, as long as that event has space for more players. You simply need to provide enough generic tickets to equal the registration cost for the event.

i know that wizkids isn't going to be there, not sure who is running the drafts. i guess they weren't invited back after their attack wing debacle last year. just a rumor i heard, but would explain the world championship happening at origins. i assume there won't be any sort of pick up drafting happening, which is a bummer. i'll be one of the many folks hanging out with generics!

That's wrong. WizKids *is* running the draft events. They are not running the late night constructed events though.

No way Gencon would exclude WizKids from running events. I have no reason to thing that there is any bad blood between WK and Gencon, but WK does seem to be focusing more on Origins than Gencon. I have my own theory as to why Origins is their venue for the big events for Wizkids (WK is tight with GAMA and Origins is a GAMA event), but it's just speculation.

perhaps the championship was moved because of a bit of a feud with gencon after all?

https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/st...158976/photo/1

Veery interesting... Thanks for the info.

I didn't get a chance to see what kind of space WizKids had at Origins. Can anybody help with that?

GenCon is strict about event policies. If GenCon lost out to Worlds to Origins, I would be willing to bet it is because Origins offered them a flat rate for the space and to not to have to charge for all the events that they were running.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAbney View Post
    You can show up with $12 worth of generic event tickets in the event that there is a no-show.

From GenCon's site: Generic tickets are worth $2 and can be used to pay for any event at Gen Con, as long as that event has space for more players. You simply need to provide enough generic tickets to equal the registration cost for the event.
    The issue with that is that all their events are sold out. (Minus one last ticket for one Draft.) There is a chance that War of Light will be previewed so these tickets sold out quickly. With a slew of Dice Masters players who did not hesitate to buy into multiple drafts which I doubt they will refund.

speaking of the late night tourney, what's the dilly-o with that? is the "%of prize pool" packs? and of what? thanks!

Since each of the 3 nights will see a different number of attendees, we will not know how many people will be at each event. We are permitted to expand the maximum player count which we will do if we get close to the cap prior to the event. We also have some OP prizes and exclusives planned for the event which will be guaranteed. Ultimately, like any tournament, the more players there are, the more the prizes there will be. (WAY TOO EARLY for things to be finalized since a handful of stuff will be coming out of our pockets.)

In terms of what it is... will be MONEY! (We are double checking with GenCon this week on money prizes just to ensure we end up in the clear.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoubleBursts View Post
    Since each of the 3 nights will see a different number of attendees, we will not know how many people will be at each event. We are permitted to expand the maximum player count which we will do if we get close to the cap prior to the event. We also have some OP prizes and exclusives planned for the event which will be guaranteed. Ultimately, like any tournament, the more players there are, the more the prizes there will be. (WAY TOO EARLY for things to be finalized since a handful of stuff will be coming out of our pockets.)

In terms of what it is... will be MONEY! (We are double checking with GenCon this week on money prizes just to ensure we end up in the clear.)
    age requirement?

We asked GenCon to set the event to "Teen" 13+ due to the hour of the event.

I'm not a lawyer or game commissioner, but charging people to play, and then paying out cash to winners, sounds like gambling to me.
    18+....?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    I'm not a lawyer or game commissioner, but charging people to play, and then paying out cash to winners, sounds like gambling to me.?
    If you are playing strictly a game of chance, yes. If you are winning a prize from skill, no.

(Yes there are exceptions to the general rule).

(One can say that about ANY GenCon event that is: not free and offer any kind of prize.) The same could be technically said about Rainbow Drafts at a shop hosting a Monthly Storyline O.P. event. You purchase entry attempting to win the Story prize. Its just an element of Collectible Games.

Any who... now that the trolling is over! We look forward to seeing everyone at our Late Night Tournaments and the Rainbow Drafts we are attending.