Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: D&D Expirience in Constructed?

D&D Expirience in Constructed?

Does D&D Experience translate at all in fully unlimited constructed games?

For example - if I have Human Paladin and Superman fielded, Superman attacks and knocks out my opponents Red Hulk, does Human Paladin get an experience token for that?

(I just chose random characters that would be appropriate here, the question is not specific to these guys, I'm just not certain about the mechanic....plus...it is just fun to visualize stuff like that)

My guess is no...since Red Hulk is not considered a "Monster"...but not entirely sure.

Think of experience as a BONUS ability. It really doesn't make your card cost more, you didn't pay for it, there is simply this interaction between it and other Monster Affiliation cards. If that Superman also said "Once per turn, gain a +1A/+1D token when you knock out a Legion of Doom villain" you would say, OK, that's interesting, but I much rather would pay for that ability of his, and his stat line. That paladin is pretty under-powered stat wise, for a 4 cost character, however his ability and his global greatly make up for the difference. He's slightly less than what we should expect from a 3 cost stat line, and given the HUGE impact he has on the game, 4 cost is about appropriate. On top of that, if your opponent decided to use Swarm ramp, that paladin can get big, fast. If they bring dragons for their breath weapon, and you can start picking them off, he can still ramp up. Experience has no direct interaction with other sets (until AoU comes out at least) but it also doesn't cost you anything in balance.

Excellent. Thanks Shadowmeld. Appreciate the perspective.

My thoughts exactly on the Human Paladin. I love his ability and the global, so I was thinking that if experience carried over to interact with other sets, that would make him Uber Fantastico! He is still pretty dynamite though, so I may fool around with him in some fully constructed games, and if one of my opponents bring some Kobolds or Dragons...that would just be a bonus.

It's a bit of a stretch, but what about using Prismatic Spray Paragon Spell to give your opponent Monsters for you to then knockout. You could swap two of your kobolds and then easily KO one of those monsters and get your Adventurers to gain Experience. Probably not competitive, but it might be fun to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    It's a bit of a stretch, but what about using Prismatic Spray Paragon Spell to give your opponent Monsters for you to then knockout. You could swap two of your kobolds and then easily KO one of those monsters and get your Adventurers to gain Experience. Probably not competitive, but it might be fun to try out.

so MM global "their" new Kobold?
    and BEWD "your" new characters?

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I like the idea...and would be a heck of a lot of fun to try to pull off...but the reward of pulling it off is just +1A/+1D to you adventurer. You'd need to use the Spray multiple times in order to get a good buff going, which would be really challenging. I suppose if you had multiple Adventurers out there, and figured out a way to churn through the Spray so you could use it each turn, that may work. Maybe Elf Wizard could help with that?

Interesting...I'm cooking something up here...

Maybe use Mr.Fantastic to force an attack so Elf Wizard can block?

aren't there better action dice to do that elf/ Mr.F combo?

I like this one better just because you don't need anything from your opponent or extra energy to force an attack. Field, purchase the action, attack, move the action to prep

Totally.. @Randy , you are right. I was thinking using the Blocking Elf, so that you can decide who she is engaged with and thus avoid potentially getting her knocked out. But I guess her getting knocked out isn't a bad thing because the Experience tokens stay, correct? Also, if she churns through and gets fielded again, you can use the action die discount again to buy another Spray if you want to. And we can drop Mr.Fantastic

Yea. And if you really want her to stay in the field, just bring Distraction so you can bring her back. Distraction might not be a bad idea for an action - heavy team anyways.

Yup...and if you use Human Paladin and Elf Wizard...your opponent won't be able to use Distraction against you...

Since this seems to be going to a late game how about Batman for his "always forgotten until too late" global and get some life back.

@Randy ...now I remember the other reason I wanted to use the "Blocking" Elf wizard...

If I use the Spray, then proceed to my attack step, then the Spray die is still in the Transition Zone, and Elf's ability can't touch it yet, correct? Or do action die go right to Used?

If they do go to Transition, then the Blocking Elf combined with Mr.Fantastic would be better, becuase then you could move the spray to prep on your opponents turn, and potentially use it again during your next main step.

You're right. The Spray would be in transition. So if you want to keep cycling the same action die. That's not bad.

Wait, action dice go to the transition zone? I was under the impression that the only dice that go through the transition zone are those that were used as energy to pay for globals, effects, or purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Wait, action dice go to the transition zone? I was under the impression that the only dice that go through the transition zone are those that were used as energy to pay for globals, effects, or purchases.
    Check the latest rulebook. Anything that is "used" during your turn goes through transition. Only newly purchased dice go immediately to Used.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Check the latest rulebook. Anything that is "used" during your turn goes through transition. Only newly purchased dice go immediately to Used.
    And characters you don't field.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    And actions you don't use.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Are you certain?

On the stream today I saw a player use Polymorph on a Red Dragon *that they rolled and did not field* during their attack step.

Jimmy did not bat an eye while commentating. I asked about it to the stream and a player said that unfielded characters go to Used at the end of the main phase.

That is because there is a window where characters go used, and actions haven't' yet. Characters move o used after the Main step, Action dice go to the used during the clean up step.

Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    Are you certain?

On the stream today I saw a player use Polymorph on a Red Dragon *that they rolled and did not field* during their attack step.

Jimmy did not bat an eye while commentating. I asked about it to the stream and a player said that unfielded characters go to Used at the end of the main phase.

Straight from the Rule Book.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    That is because there is a window where characters go used, and actions haven't' yet. Characters move o used after the Main step, Action dice go to the used during the clean up step.
    When do unfielded characters go to transition?

Oh, I misread what Scorpion wrote. Nevermind! I thought Scorpion and Igwana were talking about dice that entered transition, not dice that went to used.