Thread: UXM Rainbow Draft tips?

UXM Rainbow Draft tips?

So my FLGS is finally running a Dice Masters rainbow draft. It's currently listed as "packs will be player's choice from those available". They don't have any AVX boosters left, so I'm thinking it will be either DC or UXM. TRP has done a ton of DC rainbow articles and podcasts lately. Anyone have any tips if it ends up being UXM?

I'm on my phone so I can't lookup links easily, but I know I've seen 'UXM Draft Tier Lists' either here and/or on diceanon. I know diceanon has a UXM full set review with ratings and commentary.

UXM is kinda hard to draft. My suggestion is to work on winnie side stuff. Ant Man and Falcon are definite grabs. So is black panther, take relentless. The best win combo in the set is Uncommon Ice Man with Ant-Man. It is from the budget Ice-Man list. I hope this helps a little.

@Dave posted an article about UXM drafting not that long ago. ....but I can't remember it's exact name to find it right now. Maybe he can get to it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    @Dave posted an article about UXM drafting not that long ago. ....but I can't remember it's exact name to find it right now. Maybe he can get to it later.

I think I found it. This one?

http://www.thereservepool.com/conten...XM-Draft-Tiers

I just did a rainbow draft this last week. There are two REALLY powerful combos you can get in UXM, and it's ramp is the glorious PxG.

The combos to look out for are Common Captain America and any villain maker global (such as the common and super rare Iron Man) and the Common or Rare Ant-man global combined with Ice Man Mr. Freize or Magik. Both have great stats when swapped and great abilities in general. Mr. Freize can be either a 7/6 or 9/4 if you use the ant man global and field a character that turn. Meanwhile Magic can sport a 7/2 stat line and has regeneration on her common card.

Of course, none of these combos matter if you don't know how to build PXG ramp. I suggest grabbing every 2 cost Falcon, 2 cost Storm, Rare Psylock and two cost Ant-man you can, they DRAMATICALLY help your first turn ramp with Prof. X. There are a lot of articles about how to PXG correctly, but in the draft I played, it was very apparent how much that skill leads to victory.

TL;DR: get cheap characters early, snag Iceman and Ant-man for their combo, middle go around pick up Captain america then iron amn, pay attention to the PXG count and make sure you get one. Lastly, pick up some sort of win condition with your Basic actions. Iceman, ant-man Falcon are really great for early pressure, cap is good for mid game spot removal, but you need something you can buy to push through for that win. I brought Anger issues and snagged a She-hulk (she's really good both common and uncommon), worked for those games my opponent was able to actually stall my early rush.

OH I ALMOST FORGOT. Toad common is the BEST AoE removal in the set. Watch out for him, or take him for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I just did a rainbow draft this last week. There are two REALLY powerful combos you can get in UXM, and it's ramp is the glorious PxG.

The combos to look out for are Common Captain America and any villain maker global (such as the common and super rare Iron Man) and the Common or Rare Ant-man global combined with Ice Man Mr. Freize or Magik. Both have great stats when swapped and great abilities in general. Mr. Freize can be either a 7/6 or 9/4 if you use the ant man global and field a character that turn. Meanwhile Magic can sport a 7/2 stat line and has regeneration on her common card.

Of course, none of these combos matter if you don't know how to build PXG ramp. I suggest grabbing every 2 cost Falcon, 2 cost Storm, Rare Psylock and two cost Ant-man you can, they DRAMATICALLY help your first turn ramp with Prof. X. There are a lot of articles about how to PXG correctly, but in the draft I played, it was very apparent how much that skill leads to victory.

TL;DR: get cheap characters early, snag Iceman and Ant-man for their combo, middle go around pick up Captain america then iron amn, pay attention to the PXG count and make sure you get one. Lastly, pick up some sort of win condition with your Basic actions. Iceman, ant-man Falcon are really great for early pressure, cap is good for mid game spot removal, but you need something you can buy to push through for that win. I brought Anger issues and snagged a She-hulk (she's really good both common and uncommon), worked for those games my opponent was able to actually stall my early rush.

OH I ALMOST FORGOT. Toad common is the BEST AoE removal in the set. Watch out for him, or take him for yourself.
    Toad is real disruptive in this format as long as you have the blockers (this is where the cheap Ant-man and Falcon can help) or are willing to take the damage. It can be pretty devastating for your opponent to watch their entire field clear from his burst side. Another character that is a pretty good grab is Namor Sub-Mariner because he can become unblockable. Just remember two other characters fielded means two unique characters.

Toad is really good. Also the Namor that becomes unblockable can push through an otherwise stalemated board. Most Psylockes are decent-ish. The format is kinda slower than most draft formats since there aren't a lot of ways to punch in.

I have been on the receiving end of an Apocolypse / Toad combination team. The other real beat down cards Mystique and Magneto combintion hurt pretty bad as well. Ant-man, Falcon, and Iceman have interesting combinations. I like the Red Hulk and for some reason people tend to avoid him, so his dice tend to be free.