Thread: Thoughts on being able to delete your own posts?

Lightbulb Thoughts on being able to delete your own posts?

Situations such as:

-You post something, and nobody has even responded to the topic yet. In that case, if you are thinking, "ehhh, actually, that's silly," you can delete it with no harm, no foul. Obviously, you can't go around posting inappropriate things of any type and just delete it really quickly, because someone could still see, and that would still break the rules - this is for when you hit post and immediately have a *DOH* moment.

-You post a reply to a topic and then post a second time in a row for whatever reason, a lot of times I'll see someone else has posted and go back after posting and confuse myself (I know it sounds like I'm getting lost tripping over my own online shoelaces... which I kind of am), and then post again, to realize I double posted, and all I want to do delete the second one.

I'd say for a deleted post in a topic it could still leave some placeholder saying "SlapsterMcFlash Deleted a Post" so people can't be tricked into saying something stupid or hurtful or any other bad thing, but it could be helpful for the less mindful of us...

Just a thought :-/

EDIT (WINK) - Thanks
    Last edited by SlapsterMcFlash; 06-03-2015 at 09:50 PM.

You know you can edit your posts right?

At worst, just edit it to say, "ignore this, I posted by mistake" and delete the rest of the text. No one will mind.

If I see a "ignore this, I made a mistake" post, I delete it out of courtesy. Let one of us mods know, and we can help you out.

Shadowmeld and I in particular have no lives and check the forum often, so there you go!

Adding to SM & RJ's comments. Yes, just edit it out and then if you do want it deleted, the easiest way to do that is to then report your own post and ask for it to be deleted. A mod or admin will take care of it.

On a related note:

Can Blog entries be completely removed?

I was (and still am) writing up a post for my blog, so had it saved as a draft, made some changes on my phone, which then published it, and there appeared to be no way to un-publish it.

So, I went in, copy-pasted the text in to a new draft post, and then 'deleted' the erroneous post.

This has stopped it showing up for others, but I now have a 'deleted' post that I can't seem to get rid off completely.

I think it's better if you can't delete your own posts. Simply put, it adds a feeling of permanence to them, so if someone posts something clearly inflammatory or rude/mean/whatever then it's going to stay right where it is until a mod has the chance to deal with it and warn/ban the poster for bad behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I think it's better if you can't delete your own posts. Simply put, it adds a feeling of permanence to them, so if someone posts something clearly inflammatory or rude/mean/whatever then it's going to stay right where it is until a mod has the chance to deal with it and warn/ban the poster for bad behaviour.
    I remember the best example of this back when I was a teenager and people would try to trick other people by asking a question with the answer being a number below 13, and then editing the question to be "How old are you," and getting the person who responded with the number 11 banned - on GameFAQs back in, like, 2004 or so.

I'm just really clumsy and anxious so I'll type something and then see another post and want to respond to it, etc..., and I don't want to end up with 5 posts in a row. But it's just a matter of being more purposely mindful.

We actually keep a full edit history of all posts. If anyone is being purposely deceptive with edits, please let us know.