Thread: New Feature: "Like" Buttons

New Feature: "Like" Buttons

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TipOfTheWeek.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	961Name:  like.png
Views: 62
Size:  6.2 KBThis will be a quick tip today. We're still working on implementing ideas from the site suggestions thread, and today we're rolling out another feature requested in that thread, a Like button.

Now every post, blog comment, visitor message, and more has a like button associated with it. Please use this button to express general approval or appreciation for a given post. When you click on the button--you'll find it at the bottom of every message (see screenshot)--it increments the like count and gives both you and the receiver that warm fuzzy feeling inside. Hover over the like count to see who has liked the post. Using the like button instead of replying helps keep threads cleaner by reducing low content posts such as, "Thank you," or "I agree," or "Great post." If you clicked on the the like button in error, you can click it again to unlike it. That button looks like this: Name:  unlike.png
Views: 54
Size:  1.3 KB

This is an internal like system--it doesn't link out to Facebook or anywhere else.

...and, yes using this system does give you chances to win in the Mega Contest!

Thank you for explaining the like button to everyone living under a rock since 2009*.

Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    Thank you for explaining the like button to everyone living under a rock since 2009*.
    OK, time to add an "dislike" button to that comment! (Just kidding, of course.)

The explanation was mostly because in the forum-space, "thanks" buttons had a lot more mindshare than like buttons until recently. (You'll notice the original request in the site feedback thread actually was for a thanks button, not a like button.) I wanted to make sure someone coming from that mindset knew that they should use the like button for "thanks," and we have no plans to add a thanks button too. You'll find some forums that have whole list of buttons, most of which I think should be rolled into a single like button. One I occasionally visit has 9! They have: "Like," "Disagree," "Agree," "I was wondering about that too," "Funny," "Winner," "Pure Genius," "Informative," and "Appreciation" and tallies are kept for each of those buttons for each post.

Umm..

*tries to "Like" @Ken 's post above mine*

*gets Javascript pop-up*

"You've clicked this button too many times in the last 24 hours"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Like1.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	967

Also, when I try to see who else has liked a post...

Name:  Like2.png
Views: 154
Size:  9.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Umm..

*tries to "Like" @Ken 's post above mine*

*gets Javascript pop-up*

"You've clicked this button too many times in the last 24 hours"
    Yes, because it is so easy to like a post and because there are contest chances involved, we've got a pretty tight limit on how many you can do per day. Use them wisely!

Also, when I try to see who else has liked a post...
    Name:  Like2.png
Views: 154
Size:  9.6 KB
    Are you still getting that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Yes, because it is so easy to like a post and because there are contest chances involved, we've got a pretty tight limit on how many you can do per day. Use them wisely!
    That makes sense. But I want to share the love!

Are you still getting that?
    Yes, with a scroll bar much longer than 6 "names". I am using IE 9.0.8112.16421 (work computer). Let me know if you need anything else from me.

That makes sense. But I want to share the love!

Yes, with a scroll bar much longer than 6 "names". I am using IE 9.0.8112.16421 (work computer). Let me know if you need anything else from me.
    We'll let up on the limits eventually.

I'll dig out a copy of IE9 and try to reproduce the problem. Thanks for the report.

I'll let you know if I experience the same problem on my computer at home running Chrome/Firefox.

Could this be added to the mobile interface?